Sky Betting & Gaming Reviews in Leeds, UK | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 Oct 2019

3.9
Sky Betting & Gaming CEO Ian Proctor
Ian Proctor

"Don't believe the PR machine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefit, free skytv is a nice, as is the bupa healthcare and the bonus schemes are good.

Cons

The company is very silo'd, though people constantly talk about a no blame culture, that is not the case and whilst they promote the "no hierarchy", that just makes it impossible to get anything done, as everyone wants to do things differently so decisions are constantly overruled. This makes the rate of change and delivery slow and things end up being rushed and therefore not great quality. The work environment can... be very toxic in some areas, many managers are more concern about empire building than the health and well being of their staff.

Advice to Management

Stop using events as a big PR adverts to bring in new staff, we all know thats what they are for, we're not blind. Instead spend the money on investing on the good people you have.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-06-29

July 2, 2019Project Manager

Hi there. Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear that you don't feel you're having a 5* colleague experience at SBG. We pride ourselves on our collaborative culture, but also on our ability to be agile and "crack on" - meaning decisions are made together, quickly. Our people strategy is about growing a #1 team by 2021. To do this successfully we need to balance the growth of our current teams and supplement that with new external talent to fill any gaps. When it comes to growing our internal colleagues we've placed the Ninja Fund for all to give everybody the autonomy to grow in whatever way they want. And when it comes to how we talk about our SBG externally, of course we celebrate #sbglife. As a colleague of many years, you'll know that we love feedback. However, it would be great if you could let your manager know how you feel via OfficeVibe so that we can support a change for the better for you.

2. "Good company, great perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perks - Free Sky TV full package, discounted SkyMobile tariffs, health check-ups, gym membership, free fruit. Great people & ethic. Subsidised taxi travel to/from office during unsociable hours shifts

Cons

Hours can be unsociable, not always recognised for effort.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-05-20

June 4, 2019Project Manager

Thanks a lot for your feedback, really happy that you're getting the most out of the benefits we have on offer. Sorry that you feel the hours are unsociable. We do try to make sure that colleagues aren't always working the unsociable shifts. But due to the nature of what we do, we need to have people on the ground, providing top-quality customer service at all times. Please talk to your People Experience Manager or drop a line to careers@skybettingandgaming.com if you'd like to chat about the matter further. Thanks a lot.

"Stars have destroyed it - toxic culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to be a great place to work with a great people focused culture and atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is low for the industry. Favouritism and politics are rife. There is basically nothing left now Stars have bought it. The culture clash is huge, you could have been proud to work at SBG, but Stars are just another massive gambling outfit who will stop at nothing for profit. Stars leadership are a joke and think they know better even though their culture is toxic, their products are poor and some of their... leaders won't even speak to each other. You only have to look at Stars' past to get a flavour of their management style. Mass redundancies at Sky B&G , and anyone else who was decent has already left or is on the way out.

Advice to Management

To SBG - leave before the ship sinks To Stars - it's too late, you've already ruined it

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-06-12

June 14, 2019Project Manager

Hi there - sorry you've not enjoyed your experience with SBG. With any large business change there's going to be a degree of uncertainty. But we're in a place now whereby we're cracking on, working hard and changing the game alongside our colleagues at The Stars Group. The future is bright!

"Not the same...."

Current Employee - Sof in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, flat structure, 10% L&D time

Cons

Taken over by Poker stars group, who have pretty much slowly destroyed the previous working culture. No focus on staff progression routes, salaries are dropping, bonus's scheme due to be under review next year. Lot's of redundancies, current staff have to pick up the work that still needs doing. Really stress full place to work at the moment.

Advice to Management

Don't loose the people first culture, that is what made SBG what it is today.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-05-19

June 4, 2019Project Manager

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate that in times of change, things can seem stressful. But our fantastic People & Support Tribe are here to help you with anything that's stopping you having a 5* experience at SBG. Please talk to your People Experience Manager or drop a line to careers@skybettingandgaming.com if you'd like to chat about the matter further.

"Wonderful place to work... almost."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SBG has an excellent working environment which would rival any other high flying tech company. Marvellous benefits, perks and treats. Great community presence in Yorkshire and willingness to tackle inequality in the industry. Corporately speaking, you can feel as included or excluded as you want to.

Cons

Some “leadership” actions leave many of those in the trenches completely baffled. Decisions are made on little to no domain experience and often borne out of nepotism. This has a detrimental impact not only on day to day delivery but the morale of those expected to deliver. Couple that with a practically nonexistent forum for career management and progression (ironically, this is contrary to a huge investment in... developing people managers), this all but erodes one’s confidence and willingness to stay. Once the novelty of pool tables, foosball and a subsidised cafe wear off, the crippling emptiness of a haemorrhaged career prevails.

Advice to Management

I once heard this quote which I will always associate with SBG: “Just because you shout the loudest doesn’t mean that you’re right”. Take time to actively talk to AND listen to the people around you and underneath you and make informed strategic decisions, some of which won’t be easy, instead of applying a shortsighted “shoot from the hip” approach because everyone gets hurt.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-05-07

"New culture taking its toll!"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym and modern office

Cons

Dull atmosphere, lack of progression, uninspiring leadership, waiting for problems to happen and not being pro-active in identifying issues.

Advice to Management

Hire better staff, stop with the 8 hour working day, people are only productive for about 2, rest of the time is spent gambling

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-05-08

"A year ago would have been 5 stars"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Arguably one of the most relaxed places I have worked in terms of working culture. * Great set of benefits. * Tribe culture means teams are empowered within their own teams to deliver without much corporate red tape. * Agile pedigree, lots of teams operating in different ways and more is being done to share that working * Work hard, play hard mentality with some great annual events * Lots of leadership will... take the time to talk to you in person if you ask for it * Has been lots of opportunity to move around and try new roles in the last few years * Worked with some of the most capable people of my career at SBG * Probably learned the most I have at any company in the shortest time * Would have been 5 stars but the last 6 months have been rough (see below) * I was well paid and made it difficult for me to find much of a better offer elsewhere

Cons

* Techies are treated like children that need to be pandered too the amount of money squirrelled away to allow techs to do what they want with tech instead of delivering valuable product is on the rise. There is a very unhealthy culture of tech having a say so with some pretty negative and non pragmatic people in senior roles. * Recent exodus of very well respected leaders that got SBG to where it was and unclear... expectations from strategy and new leadership. * Recent acquisition will mean lots of change over the next year or two which may or may not be for the better depending on your role * Some leadership unable to let go of their old roles and help those below them thrive by giving responsibility and ownership * Some areas of the business get completely washed over whilst others have budget for parties, better office space and furniture and more time out of working for events (the division of tribes is grown by this) * Say goodbye to any predictability on bonuses (they are paid and usually pretty good) but its impossible to tell now they are not forthcoming with financial results (like they were previously)

Advice to Management

* Just because someone is good at a tech role does not make them a leader, all too often you see strong techies without the skills needed to manage people and has led to several people I know leaving or moving in the business. Make sure those people are being supported to be good people managers (ideally before putting them in those positions) * Clearer direction needs to be given, emphasis on the word clear, lots... is left to each tribes interpretation and left to be resolved between tribes. But the tribes are set up in a way where they do not work well across tribes. Leaders need to be more involved in clarifying what that means for each area whilst allowing innovation * Tech are a vital part of delivering great product but need to understand what authority they have and that tech options need to be justified against ROI, too many of your architects and senior techs are hiding the options that would deliver your product faster. Challenge this more, those tech roles wont keep growing as product development keeps getting slower * SBG is already losing its touch in agile delivery prowess and culture, do something about it sooner rather than later. Everyone is busy but it will be a lot harder as more of those good people leave for companies putting the effort in

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-04-04
  8. "Wonderful Place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Culture/Good progression opportunities and an ambition to make it a great place to work

Cons

Hard to get a meeting room!

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-03-18

"Slowly becoming the same as every other company"

Former Employee - Service Operations Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced tech company in an interesting sector.

Cons

Slowly becoming the same corporate culture as every other workplace.

Advice to Management

Focus less on D&I and more on just doing the work.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-03-28
  10. "Good chance to use the latest tech"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uses the latest tech, good people

Cons

They are short sighted at times

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-03-10