Sky Betting & Gaming Reviews in Leeds, UK | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 10 Nov 2019

3.9
Sky Betting & Gaming CEO Ian Proctor
Ian Proctor
  1. "Valued and free to achieve"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vibrant, exciting, fast-paced. A place to think big and really achieve things you couldn't in other businesses. People have really strong ideas and are able to put them into practice with the calibre of colleague who can support and unlock potential.

Cons

If you're not a strong character able to shape your own agenda it could be too free for some people.

Advice to Management

Don't let it get corporate

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-06-19
  2. "One Team!"

Current Contractor - Commercial Resourcer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic Work Culture - The calendar is bursting with events to engage employees, reward hard work and support external organisations; for example The Gathering, York Races and charity fundraisers such as The Leeds 10k and Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge. Development Opportunities - There are numerous initiatives in place to learn a new skill, whether it's taking up a German/Italian language course or learning how... to code through the Software Academy. I think it's great that these opportunities are open to anyone who wants to get involved. The People - My team works collaboratively and I feel I can learn a lot from colleagues across all the different tribes. What's more, we all get on really well in and outside of work and I genuinely enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Parking - It is very expensive to park in Leeds. It would be great if we could have subsidised car parking at a reasonable rate.

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-06-13

"Customer Ops don't care about employees"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rest of company other than Customer Ops

Cons

Customer Ops Centre min wage + <20% for unsocial hours which cover 19 hours a day (7am to 2am), 365 days a year with no extra for bank hols, any 5 of 7 days with days off not usually consecutive or including a weekend day. 1 week notice during probation 2 weeks after. 3 month probation with majority of cust ops staff getting a 3 month extension. Worked 140 hours overtime in a month or so, no feedback. Getting... nearer probation end and dared to negotiate a 1 month extension after asked wrong substitute question. Obviously upset someone. 1 month extension, 1/2 of which was leave, was constant opression. Afternoon of day going on leave where probation would have ended while away I was suspended for Gross Misconduct (kneejerk reaction). I had seen the text of an old chat on a summary of recent contacts that was clearly an RG concern so I had raised it. I hadn't seen the text at the time otherwise would have had the same reaction and raised it then or had seen part of it and stood up and asked if anyone had already had that customer through. Customer had engaged with someone else on chat minutes before that day and had been told to phone in. Came back on empty chat with same person, but did not engage. Came on empty chat with me, and did not engage although I paste in standard text to let all customer's know there is someone there. I was debadged and suspended 45 minutes before going on leave for 8 days, 7 days out of UK, suspension ruining holiday and Silver Wedding. Cust Ops concerned about customers but not employees.

Advice to Management

Check your Customer Ops embedded bad practices

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-07-12
  4. "Unique culture. Exciting work. Great benefits."

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming for less than a year

Pros

The focus placed on people is noticeable as soon as you walk in the building. There's lots of opportunities to progress, countless courses to learn something new. Flexible working available and encouraged, the office environment is relaxed and friendly - and the work is fast paced and exciting. I'm paid well, there's a fantastic benefits package, free fruit every morning, an approachable leadership team, 2x free... books when you start, loads of work-perks (free lunches etc) - and an annual all-colleague festival! It's the culture thats the main thing though. The values (SBG Way) really accurately describe what it's like to work here.

Cons

Greater diversity in the leadership team. However, this is something they've acknowledged they're working on.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent. The business has communicated clearly to people it's focus on safer gambling - acknowledging that whilst it may harm income, its the right thing to do. Instils a greater sense of pride in what you do.

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-06-04
  5. "Amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There is a real caring attitude towards the development of their staff. - The benefits package for the company is amazing and is better than anything ive ever seen or been offered. - There is a real family feel to the company, everyone talks to you as though you're on the same level as them from the CEO right down to customer service operators which for a company this size is unusual to see. - The management... genuinely care about your development as an individual and as an employee, so much so they actively encourage you to seek further training whilst with the business.

Cons

- The company has grown so quick seating within the office can sometimes be an issue as can getting meeting rooms.

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-05-14

"Pretty terrible"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is ambitious to use new technology.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Departments struggle to implement projects sensibly - lots of hype, little delivery. Constant team turnover - the only people who stay are those who are blindly bought into the company image rather than those with broad experience and knowledge of what it takes to actually write good code. Company culture is macho, driven by overwhelmingly white, male upper management - terrible... anywhere, but especially at a supposedly forward-looking company where diversity of thought and culture should be important. Employees are not supported or directed to improve and meet their potential.

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-06-12

"Great place to work"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming for more than a year

Pros

You’ve got huge amounts of autonomy and SBG isn’t wrapped up in processes or policies, it does its utmost to remain people centric. There's always something happening in the office, whether it's a talk, incentive or competition

Cons

Given it’s start up feel people can sometimes be incredibly unprofessional or lacking in emotional maturity and no one ever seems to call those behaviours out so that the company can appropriately scale.

Advice to Management

Place more emphasis on behaviours because when you strip back the word culture, it is how things are done and how people treat each other.

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-04-29
  8. "A real tech company with cutting edge products and ways of working"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

Trusting, flexible, agile and dedicated to providing the best Gaming and Betting services out there.

Cons

A lot to learn in your first few months but worth it on the other wise of the learning curve

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture and keep on encouraging staff to make decisions

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-05-02
  9. "Great culture, benefits, quality of staff"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

You feel empowered to deliver what you believe is the right thing to do

Cons

You will get stretched if you are afraid to say no

Advice to Management

Just because you are a director doesn’t mean you should throw your weight around

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-04-21

"Graduate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

Developing your own skills is very important to the company Learn something new every day Very friendly atmosphere Really love coming into work A lot of benefits, such as the gym and private healthcare

Cons

No parking available on site

Sky Betting & Gaming2018-03-09