Sky Betting & Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 August 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Sky Betting and Gaming is a forward-looking and progressive company" (in 4 reviews)

• "It's a great environment to work in and extremely fast paced" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Career progression isn't always clear" (in 4 reviews)

• "Nothing big - can be very fast paced at times which takes some getting used to for new starters" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technology Resourcer in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Technology Resourcer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about working at SBG is the culture; it is very laid back with casual dress, flexible working hours and we are very social. The flexible working hours mean my work/life balance is better than it has ever been by far as it allows me to avoid a longer commute at rush hour. I love how social the business is too - we have regular social events as a team and also have bigger company-wide events like the races, charity ball and the gathering.
    SBG also has a great benefits package which includes a free gym membership at a gym across the road. This means I can exercise on my lunch break and therefore have more time to relax at home in the evening.
    Finally, SBG have really good opportunities for growth and personal development. Hard work is recognised and rewarded and there are loads of opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

There really aren't many downsides to working at SBG, although sometimes it feels like tech employees get preferential treatment over non-techies! For example the extra benefits they are entitled to.

Advice to Management

Don't change much! Be aware of preserving our culture as we continue to grow and ensure everyone is treated fairly.

2. "Best place I have worked to date"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of great people
    Commitment to L&D, Women in tech, Diversity & Inclusion
    Commitment to be the best
    Great Benefits
    Good level of autonomy

Cons

A very fast paced organisation, communication sometimes isnt as good as it could be. Cross departmental working isn't fantastic

3. "Love it!"

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

The culture has to be the best I’ve ever worked in, the company reward you for the hard work you put in. Benefits are great for the staff (even small perks like getting ice cream delivered to the office!) Projects are fast paced to match the environment, it’s a great place to work.

Cons

There really aren’t any at all!

4. "Company Impressions"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is fantastic. Feels like everyone is pulling in the same direction. And it helps if you are sports mad

Cons

Missed out on a Mac!

Advice to Management

Can see some big challenges ahead, but to maintain and enhance this culture

5. "Customer support"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Leeds, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Leeds, South East England, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, benefits, company which makes you feel valued

Cons

Shift patterns, working hours, communication

"Embraces diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel I have to disagree with the sentiments expressed by a couple of others about the patriarchal conspiracy of the leadership. In actual fact, I've never worked anywhere else that provides so much support for staff from all walks of life, especially given the amount of work to provide a culture that embraces diversity.

The packages are superb, and the working culture does not feel at all corporate. I feel the management have everyone's back, and it's generally a decent place to work.

Free coffee and fruit for those of us IN Sheffield, plus recreational stuff, like table tennis and a pool table.

Cons

Career progression isn't entirely clear sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep your culture. You can't please everyone though

7. "Valued and free to achieve"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vibrant, exciting, fast-paced. A place to think big and really achieve things you couldn't in other businesses. People have really strong ideas and are able to put them into practice with the calibre of colleague who can support and unlock potential.

Cons

If you're not a strong character able to shape your own agenda it could be too free for some people.

Advice to Management

Don't let it get corporate

"Customer Ops don't care about employees"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rest of company other than Customer Ops

Cons

Customer Ops Centre min wage + <20% for unsocial hours which cover 19 hours a day (7am to 2am), 365 days a year with no extra for bank hols, any 5 of 7 days with days off not usually consecutive or including a weekend day.

1 week notice during probation 2 weeks after. 3 month probation with majority of cust ops staff getting a 3 month extension. Worked 140 hours overtime in a month or so, no feedback. Getting nearer probation end and dared to negotiate a 1 month extension after asked wrong substitute question. Obviously upset someone.

1 month extension, 1/2 of which was leave, was constant opression. Afternoon of day going on leave where probation would have ended while away I was suspended for Gross Misconduct (kneejerk reaction). I had seen the text of an old chat on a summary of recent contacts that was clearly an RG concern so I had raised it. I hadn't seen the text at the time otherwise would have had the same reaction and raised it then or had seen part of it and stood up and asked if anyone had already had that customer through.

Customer had engaged with someone else on chat minutes before that day and had been told to phone in. Came back on empty chat with same person, but did not engage. Came on empty chat with me, and did not engage although I paste in standard text to let all customer's know there is someone there.

I was debadged and suspended 45 minutes before going on leave for 8 days, 7 days out of UK, suspension ruining holiday and Silver Wedding. Cust Ops concerned about customers but not employees.

Advice to Management

Check your Customer Ops embedded bad practices

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

19 Jul 2018 – Project Manager

Thanks for your review. We're sorry you’ve not enjoyed the employee experience at SBG.

You’re right that we are absolutely customer obsessed. To provide the 24-hour service support that we pride... More

9. "Amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Analyst in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Risk Assurance Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There is a real caring attitude towards the development of their staff.
    - The benefits package for the company is amazing and is better than anything ive ever seen or been offered.
    - There is a real family feel to the company, everyone talks to you as though you're on the same level as them from the CEO right down to customer service operators which for a company this size is unusual to see.
    - The management genuinely care about your development as an individual and as an employee, so much so they actively encourage you to seek further training whilst with the business.

Cons

- The company has grown so quick seating within the office can sometimes be an issue as can getting meeting rooms.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

Colleagues are nice and depending on your role they are very flexible.

Cons

Lots of great PR and lip service around equality and diversity whilst the business is run by straight white men with a few (usually blonde) straight women in senior positions to help prevent being sued for sexism.

Claims to be Agile, it's not. Its waterfall.

Senior management is a clique, good luck with pay rises or promotion.
    Advertise for Seniors and Leads without promoting internally first.

Directors not visible enough, removed from daily business and shop floor.

Siloed work, happily let you sit with nothing to do whilst others are swamped.

A lot of inexperienced managers using collaboration as a way to get you to help them do there jobs.

Onsite coffee shop is terrible, slow service, bad coffee and horrible food.

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

4 Jun 2018 – Project Manager

Thanks a lot for your review! Sorry to hear that you've not had a 5* experience working at SBG. As you'll know, collaboration is at the heart of everything we do. We're all one team and encourage... More