Sky Betting & Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 June 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Sky Betting and Gaming is a forward-looking and progressive company" (in 4 reviews)

• "It's a great environment to work in and extremely fast paced" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Career progression isn't always clear" (in 4 reviews)

• "The company has grown so quick seating within the office can sometimes be an issue as can getting meeting rooms" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technology Resourcer in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Technology Resourcer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about working at SBG is the culture; it is very laid back with casual dress, flexible working hours and we are very social. The flexible working hours mean my work/life balance is better than it has ever been by far as it allows me to avoid a longer commute at rush hour. I love how social the business is too - we have regular social events as a team and also have bigger company-wide events like the races, charity ball and the gathering.
    SBG also has a great benefits package which includes a free gym membership at a gym across the road. This means I can exercise on my lunch break and therefore have more time to relax at home in the evening.
    Finally, SBG have really good opportunities for growth and personal development. Hard work is recognised and rewarded and there are loads of opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

There really aren't many downsides to working at SBG, although sometimes it feels like tech employees get preferential treatment over non-techies! For example the extra benefits they are entitled to.

Advice to Management

Don't change much! Be aware of preserving our culture as we continue to grow and ensure everyone is treated fairly.

"Embraces diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel I have to disagree with the sentiments expressed by a couple of others about the patriarchal conspiracy of the leadership. In actual fact, I've never worked anywhere else that provides so much support for staff from all walks of life, especially given the amount of work to provide a culture that embraces diversity.

The packages are superb, and the working culture does not feel at all corporate. I feel the management have everyone's back, and it's generally a decent place to work.

Free coffee and fruit for those of us IN Sheffield, plus recreational stuff, like table tennis and a pool table.

Cons

Career progression isn't entirely clear sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep your culture. You can't please everyone though

3. "Valued and free to achieve"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vibrant, exciting, fast-paced. A place to think big and really achieve things you couldn't in other businesses. People have really strong ideas and are able to put them into practice with the calibre of colleague who can support and unlock potential.

Cons

If you're not a strong character able to shape your own agenda it could be too free for some people.

Advice to Management

Don't let it get corporate

4. "Amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Analyst in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Risk Assurance Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There is a real caring attitude towards the development of their staff.
    - The benefits package for the company is amazing and is better than anything ive ever seen or been offered.
    - There is a real family feel to the company, everyone talks to you as though you're on the same level as them from the CEO right down to customer service operators which for a company this size is unusual to see.
    - The management genuinely care about your development as an individual and as an employee, so much so they actively encourage you to seek further training whilst with the business.

Cons

- The company has grown so quick seating within the office can sometimes be an issue as can getting meeting rooms.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

Colleagues are nice and depending on your role they are very flexible.

Cons

Lots of great PR and lip service around equality and diversity whilst the business is run by straight white men with a few (usually blonde) straight women in senior positions to help prevent being sued for sexism.

Claims to be Agile, it's not. Its waterfall.

Senior management is a clique, good luck with pay rises or promotion.
    Advertise for Seniors and Leads without promoting internally first.

Directors not visible enough, removed from daily business and shop floor.

Siloed work, happily let you sit with nothing to do whilst others are swamped.

A lot of inexperienced managers using collaboration as a way to get you to help them do there jobs.

Onsite coffee shop is terrible, slow service, bad coffee and horrible food.

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

4 Jun 2018 – Project Manager

Thanks a lot for your review! Sorry to hear that you've not had a 5* experience working at SBG. As you'll know, collaboration is at the heart of everything we do. We're all one team and encourage... More

"Pretty terrible"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is ambitious to use new technology.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Departments struggle to implement projects sensibly - lots of hype, little delivery. Constant team turnover - the only people who stay are those who are blindly bought into the company image rather than those with broad experience and knowledge of what it takes to actually write good code. Company culture is macho, driven by overwhelmingly white, male upper management - terrible anywhere, but especially at a supposedly forward-looking company where diversity of thought and culture should be important. Employees are not supported or directed to improve and meet their potential.

7. "A real tech company with cutting edge products and ways of working"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

Trusting, flexible, agile and dedicated to providing the best Gaming and Betting services out there.

Cons

A lot to learn in your first few months but worth it on the other wise of the learning curve

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture and keep on encouraging staff to make decisions

8. "Commercial Graduate Recruitment Process"

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time

Pros

The interview process for sky betting and gaming was such an amazing experience. Starting with telephone and FaceTime interviews, completing online tests and being invited to an assessment day. The online tests was definitely a concern for me, I always felt like I can’t show my true potential, however unlike other schemes, selection isn’t reliant upon those results. In terms of the interview process via Skype and telephone, Anna was incredibly friendly and supportive, and wanted to get the best out of you. This took the form of a discussion rather than an interrogation. Upon being successful to the assessment day, the day involved ice breakers, networking with the teams and Graduates, a group activity, a presentation and 1:1 interviews. The staff at Sky Betting and Gaming were so friendly and so willing to share their knowledge and put you at ease. They shared their passion for the company and gave the opportunity to ask questions and have interesting discussions. The interview was also relatively informal, they were very friendly and just wanted to get the best out of you. I had never attended an assessment day before, and this was definitely an amazing experience for me. Similarly, the recruiters were absolutely fantastic. They provided consistent support and guidance, from the first interview, calling to give advice before the assessment day, and being on hand on the day if you had any questions or needed any support. The selection process was also very quick. The whole process was seamless and would advise anyone to apply for a position with this company!

Cons

As the process was so efficient, and the teams were so supportive, it is difficult to provide cons. I would say potentially having more time to network with the teams on the assessment day, and potentially having another task to complete.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have is, when advertising the role, to make clear the start date, so those applying are clear. Other than that, the process was fantastic.

9. "Leeds Sky betting & gaming"

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When they run double over time.

Cons

Having to work bank holidays. Having your holidays booked for you, Late shifts & Lack of progression.

Advice to Management

Making progression opportunities readily available. Have managers in more Easter bank holidays there was one manager in.

10. "Cultural Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free Sky TV and Internet
    - Some genuinely nice people
    - Stable and secure job
    - Flexible working hours

Cons

- Culture is shoved down your throat
    - Talk about being agile, when quite the opposite
    - A lot of lies were told to get me into the role
    - Promotions based on who you know as appose to what you know
    - Lad culture
    - Rife with drugs and management know this

Advice to Management

I've worked with these people so I know that whatever I write down won't make a difference. Just keep on keeping on I suppose.