Sky Betting & Gaming Senior Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

Sky Betting & Gaming Chief Executive Officer  Conor Grant
Conor Grant
1 Rating
  1. ""One of the kind" employer to work for"

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Leadership Team - People support - Various avenues, channels to make your voice heard - Great company culture - Communication - Freedom to grow in your role - Benefits

Cons

- Sometimes have to fill a lot of surverys. (If I have to write something)

2. "Two years in..."

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for SBG for two years now and it still continues to be one of the best companies I have worked for. Technology wise, there is constant encouragement from all levels of the organisation to continue pushing the technology platform forward within the company, with many of the advancements coming from colleagues during their in-work learning & development time. Company culture is great, with great events such as the yearly 'Gathering' festival and plenty of social events meaning you feel more than just a payroll number. Salary and benefits are great as expected.

Cons

Because of the devops approach to software development, there isn't always a good turnover of new work, meaning not every sprint contains interesting tickets, but this is often few and far between.

3. "A tech company that also does betting and gaming"

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology-first company - focus is on building and operating the best products. Very friendly to diversity. Actively puts effort into helping problem gamblers. Excellent pay, bonuses and benefits. Wealth of knowledgable colleagues, you'll always be learning. Heavy investment on personal development.

Cons

Feels like it's lost its way since the Stars Group purchased it. Strong lad culture. Most technical roles are filled by white men.

Continue reading
  4. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, great people, fantastic environment

Cons

No defined pay brackets for a specified role.

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

Project Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. Glad that you're enjoying you're colleague journey in our Sheffield office. All the best.

"Pretty terrible"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is ambitious to use new technology.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Departments struggle to implement projects sensibly - lots of hype, little delivery. Constant team turnover - the only people who stay are those who are blindly bought into the company image rather than those with broad experience and knowledge of what it takes to actually write good code. Company culture is macho, driven by overwhelmingly white, male upper management - terrible anywhere, but especially at a supposedly forward-looking company where diversity of thought and culture should be important. Employees are not supported or directed to improve and meet their potential.

6. "Great place to work with a real commitment to great software."

Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming for more than a year

Pros

Very committed to getting software right, line managers very supportive, plenty of opportunity for personal development, great benefits.

Cons

Some conflict between software & other areas of the business. Seems to be a high staff turnover for some reason.

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

Project Manager

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you had a good experience at SBG. Our focus on technology is so important to us, and we wouldn't be where we are today without adopting a tech-led approach. As you know, we're all one team here. Working without boundaries, collaborating, having fun and doing the right thing by our people, business and customers. But, in any big business, there's always going to be a small degree of friction. We just need to make sure that we carry on communicating and listening to all our colleagues. Thanks again!

"Cannot recommend enough"

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast moving company, following agile processes Tech is at the heart of concerns Feel valued and what I said is taken into consideration Proud to work somewhere that takes their social issues seriously, and tries to lead the way in responsible gambling Fantastic colleagues No seriously, utterly amazing colleagues "Now that" bonus scheme recognises contributions instantly Seemingly random "fun" things such as free breakfasts, lunches, or events really keep morale up

Cons

Marketing still has too much control over tech roadmaps (or rather, pushes tech out of it) Disparity between standards of office (LWP2 objectively worse than 6 and Sheffield) - but overall the standard is still incredibly high! If people aren't prepared to speak up or aren't "loud" personalities, they can be overlooked for career progression

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews