Sky Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Jeremy Darroch

1,130 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can often be chalkenging (in 55 reviews)

• The very early starts and long hours outdoors in the cold winter (in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sky has been a great employer for many years"

Current Employee - Training Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Training Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Sky full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, amazing benefits, Free Sky Q, good development programmes and an awesome head office. Supplemented meals, onsite gym, nail bar, hairdresser and little Waitrose. Amazing free summer events with live music and great food. Incredible restaurants and an amazing atmosphere.

Cons

There are not a lot of cons at sky. The current efficiency drive is challenging as it impacts our ability to function at times, but they remain people focussed and benefits haven't suffered.

Advice to Management

Great leaders are there to serve their people, not impress their bosses.

Sky Response

21 Aug 2017 – Glassdoor Community Manager

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a 4* review. We always want to make sure our people have as many opportunities to develop their career as possible, so it's great that you value this along... More

"Sky is a great place to be"

Current Employee - Performance Engineer in Livingston, Scotland
    Current Employee - Performance Engineer in Livingston, Scotland

I have been working at Sky full-time

Pros

Sky are a very energetic and forward looking company and a great employer.

From a technology standpoint we are always moving forward and there are always lots of great projects and challenges to work on.

Delivery is fast paced, but that makes it an exciting and dynamic environment to work in.

Cons

I have no real negatives about working for Sky, have been with the company a number of years and intend to continue doing so.

Advice to Management

People are what makes Sky a great company and place to work

3. "Work Experience"

Pros

HQ office is a great environment to work in.
    Treat employees really well with really affordable food everywhere
    You get paired with a graduate scheme employee and get to attend sessions on the different areas of sky

Cons

I have hear experience varies depending on which team you are with

Advice to Management

Would be great if work experience students with good performance got fast tracked for internship interviews.

4. "Good place to work"

I worked at Sky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of staff benefits, friendly people, nice working environment

Cons

You may not like the commute

5. "Great"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Plymouth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Plymouth, England

I worked at Sky full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money earnt
    Benefits
    Free Sky

Cons

Manager
    Working weekends
    Tedious in shopping centre

6. "A 'Canny' Company"

Former Employee - Retention Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Retention Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Sky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance was amazing, I did 12 hour shifts with 3 days one week and 4 days the next, more than often got 10 days off for taking 3 days holiday. Christmas period was so much fun and the build up kept us all motivated. The incentives were fantastic from holiday abroad vouchers, £5-£10 a sale and everyone gets along so well and work as a little family. Managers do really care and help you as much as you can. Targets are very realistic and achievable. You get a My Sky Rewards online account which lets you get discount and loads of vouchers from high street to Thomas Cook to restaurants etc... No uniform here at sky, were what you want within reason and its a very relaxed place of work.

Cons

Long hours can be a downside to some people, but you choose if its available, you'll be told at recruitment what shift patters you will be doing, even if you start on 8 hour shifts you can ask to do 12 hours to have a shorter week. This saved me loads on parking doing 2 or 3 days less a week (Its £6 a day to park, usually £12 but you get it half price)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you's are doing !

7. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - CSA in Stockport, England
    Former Employee - CSA in Stockport, England

I worked at Sky full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentives plus bonus.
    Good atmosphere.
    Good management.
    Good benefits.
    Best place I've ever worked in and I worked in sky Stockport for just over 2 years in the call centre.

Cons

Boring job.
    Can be under pressure if you're not hitting targets.
    Sh*t pay but there again it's okay for call centre standards.

Advice to Management

Make it more fun. Give opportunities to switch roles. Be more structured.

8. "Interesting but divided company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Isleworth, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Isleworth, England

I worked at Sky full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Glamour of working with a major broadcaster
    Wide and diverse technologies and opportunities

Cons

Sky probably have more staff than they really need, there seems to be excessive duplication of roles. This tends to create a culture where technologies aren't very well shared or exploited across the whole company.

Advice to Management

Try to break down the fiefdoms.

"Don't believe what you're told, and be careful with your honesty."

Current Employee - Retention Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Retention Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Sky full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 4 day workweek
    - 30 days annual leave and easily available to book.
    - Good starting salary
    - Subsidised Canteen
    - Good Training (let down by the fact that none of it is relevant when you get to the call floor)

Cons

- Cult like environment

- Calls rated on conversation, not competence or selling (some might say that's positive, but in actuality its deceptive to the customer)

- Cliques

- Personality shaping environment. They want you believing Sky is the best thing in the world.

- Progression and Career Development is promised constantly but not shown except in a select few who have associated with those able to help them climb the ladder.

- Those who get a promotion are usually only given secondments, they do the duties of salaried managers for less money than advisors. If they are unsuccessful in reapplying the following year, they go back to the phones.

- Pretentious management culture.

- Everybody dislikes the entitled customers and having to work to appease people looking for a better deal, but most are unwilling to admit to it because leadership team don't get it, they haven't had to speak to people like that in years

- If you aren't suited to following the Awesome framework you might as well leave. It is an extremely uncomfortable process that involves speaking sweetly and softly about television shows and bundle whilst pretending to care about (often rude and self entitled) people who've roped themselves into paying a fortune for premium TV due to historically bad business practices (which Sky have turned around to their credit)

- Dishonest management. Being told you have their confidence and it's between you and them. But then Swoosh! Others know and before you know it you've got an attitude because you don't know whether you're going to fit in and get somewhere with your career.

Advice to Management

I realise somebody has to answer phones. But you need to make what's expected about this job clear. I applied having no idea what the job entailed. On the call floor you are given targets, if you make them you are then put up for not delivering awesome conversations (most people don't want to talk). I'm about to leave this job. If I had known I wouldn't be suited and what it entailed clearly (even in experience interviews it was vague) I wouldn't be writing this review!

Drop the SIM sales through retention. We know most calls are cancellation or technical support, but even though the mobile is a good idea the targets are turning managers into children with games celebrating mobile sales, and losing sight of the overall picture

"Alternately tolerable and soul-destroying"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Dunfermline, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Dunfermline, Scotland

I worked at Sky full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly competitive reward package if you like watching TV, some other perks, some good people, decent canteen and gym, reasonably thorough training

Cons

Mediocre salary with a low cap. Bonus earnings are at the whims of a broken customer satisfaction feedback system and your skills at upselling (which is mandatory). The bar for high scores on performance reviews is impossibly high - they say they want to see you go above and beyond, but you have no autonomy because you are not trusted. You are constantly being watched. Long shifts with not much flexibility. Poor work-life balance. Very few opportunities at the bottom to climb the ladder. Nepotism is rife. Team leader roles filled by secondments with no pay rise. Pot luck whether you get a supportive, skilled leader or one who is only looking out for themselves. Middle/senior management only seem concerned with numbers and statistics.

Advice to Management

Pay peanuts, get monkeys

Showing 1,130 of 1,196 reviews