Skyscanner Employee Reviews about "squads"

Updated 2 Jun 2020

3.4
Skyscanner Chief Executive  Bryan Dove  (no image)
Bryan Dove
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours(in 43 reviews)

• "Schedule flexibility, work from home country or another office(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Squad leads (except a few) are total bullies(in 15 reviews)

• "Senior management is very distanced from the rest of the company(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "squads"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Awesome company and brilliant culture!"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just had a quick read through some previous reviews and the negative ones really do baffle me. I'd hate for any potential new employee to be put off by these. While everyone has their own unique experiences, depending on variables such as line manager and team etc, some of the negativity is quite frankly, just nonsense. If someone is unfortunate enough to feel that they are being bullied or are suffering from feeling a lack of inclusivity then there are several channels for employees to report this (Glassdoor probably shouldn't be the starting point), whether this be confidential or otherwise. The company is so protective of its unique culture, especially as the number of employees grows. Personally, I've never worked with such a diverse bunch of humans - it's brilliant! So many people from different countries, faiths, gender identities, sexualities (the list goes on). The company are inherently generous. They are always looking at new ways to make sure we are happy at work. Never settling for just the 'standard', they always try to go over and above. Whether that's something small like a fully stocked soda fridge and fruit bowl or amazing summer staff BBQ's or the lump sum they give us every year towards our own holiday. We're so lucky. The way Skyscanner has handled the current COVID pandemic internally has really been quite outstanding. While our travellers and partners remain our priority, the Exec team have made every effort to ensure employees don't have undue pressure during what is a difficult time for everyone. On a personal level, it's helped me massively - knowing that there's breathing space. The consistent motto has been "do your best" and they know and trust that every single one of us will.

Cons

None, zilch, nada, nein, ninguno (there was a 5 word minimum requirement).

Continue reading
    Skyscanner2020-04-22

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Technical level is great and culture is fantastic. Best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

No much to say against Skyscanner. It really is a great company.

Skyscanner2020-05-01
  3. "One of the best"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Positive culture, empowered teams, good vision

Cons

Frequent Changes, impacts stability a little bit.

Skyscanner2020-06-02
  4. "Overall good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Nice place to work with really nice people. It's a good place for starting your career.

Cons

Processes over people, which makes things difficult like trying to get a promotion or salary raise.

Skyscanner2020-05-16

"more haste, less speed"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Good environment, great colleagues. okay perks.

Cons

Every project has to go through validation from stakeholders that are far from the team. Teams are not independent and struggle to move fast. Definition of a team (what they call squad) is quite random and is mostly due to history, this creates weird boundaries between teams which make bringing value to the company almost impossible for one team.

Skyscanner2020-05-11

"A company that cares about its employees and its users above all else"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic culture, investment in employees health, development, wellbeing They ensure they hire great people: smart and with the right attitude They actually give a damn about their users above all else, even if that means a financial hit Work/life balance is fantastic. Remote and flexible working is the norm (even outside of global pandemics) Even when times are tough we're given extra hours/time off to allow us some headspace

Cons

It can be hard to get things done sometimes. Lots of teams working in the same space and unclear boundaries/redundancy in effort.

Continue reading
    Skyscanner2020-04-17

"Toxic"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The usual: pay, location, benefits. Can work from home all the time.

Cons

Managers manipulate workers into bullying others. This poisons teams. I think that most of the time the people that actually do the bullying are not aware of what they are doing, most of the time they are immature and they are manipulated by the managers, who, being the teams very isolated, have unlimited power. Passive aggressive behaviour and emotional blackmailing are the norm.

Skyscanner2020-05-29
  8. "They don't need more engineers"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Good location. Some people are nice. Free soft drinks.

Cons

Really, they don't need you! They hired too many engineers and simply there is not enough work for everybody! HR does not know what they are doing, and if you have the misfortune of being hired you will be only parked somewhere to do little or nothing. Some engineering managers are actively trying to get rid of people by making their life horrible. I do not recommend Skyscanner to anybody who is a little bit serious about their profession.

Skyscanner2020-05-28

"The Skyscanner culture is totally fake"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Nice offices Decent pay Fruit & soft drinks Nice laptops Woke from home Ping pong table, etc.

Cons

The Skayscanner culture is totally fake. They say they are open and the staff opinion counts. In my experience it's quite the opposite. Very few people have all the say, and you better not disagree with them, or you will be set aside, marginalised or even bullied. My experience is an experience of zero tolerance towards different opinions, even in our technical field of expertise. We are paid to make an intellectual contribution but in reality we are there only to execute orders. This is very demoralising and humiliating. This also explains why Skyscanner has not been able to innovate and has been doing the same thing for the last 20 years: they happily live in their echo chamber.

Skyscanner2020-04-30

Skyscanner Response

May 11, 2020Skyscanner

Thanks for taking the time to review. We were concerned to read of your experience and are taking your feedback very seriously. We’d encourage you to talk to your manager, or if you’ve already done this and would like additional support, please reach out to the People Team in confidence. Creating and sustaining an inclusive environment is really important to us, and we’re sorry to hear you haven’t experienced this. We’d like to hear more, so please reach out and we’ll do our best to help.

"When there is smoke, usually there is fire"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Work from home Good pay Nice office location

Cons

I would like to add my experience to the many reported here. I honestly believe that Skyscanner is a toxic environment, as many have reported here already. This is not a good environment, you (at any level) are expected to do as you are told, full stop. It is not safe to express concern or (god forbid) try to report it. But what I find more disturbing is the fact that they preach and claim the exact opposite. Be prepared to be spoken over in meetings. Be prepared that other people take credit for your work. Be prepared to be cornered and set aside if you are not part of the cool kids club.

Skyscanner2020-05-01

Skyscanner Response

May 11, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. We’re really sorry that this has been your experience. We’d value hearing more: we truly want to ensure that all employees at Skyscanner are treated with dignity, fairness and respect. It’s a vital part of our culture. We’d appreciate if you’d reach out directly to someone you are comfortable with internally, so that we can understand more about your experiences and take action accordingly. The People Team will treat all conversations confidentially and we’ll work to address your concerns as best we can. We hope to hear from you.

Found 255 reviews