Skyscanner Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated 29 May 2020

3.5
Skyscanner Chief Executive  Bryan Dove  (no image)
Bryan Dove
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours(in 43 reviews)

• "Schedule flexibility, work from home country or another office(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Squad leads (except a few) are total bullies(in 15 reviews)

• "Senior management is very distanced from the rest of the company(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skyscanner is a fantastic place to work - people and culture are its' greatest assets. I've been working in engineering for more than 15 years and I've never come across another place where almost everyone I encounter is positive, engaged and highly skilled at their job. There's no shortage of engineering challenges to take on and learn from but the company clearly values and invests in making it easy to do the right thing. Again, different to everywhere else I've worked, this company really lives and breathes it's values. At first, this can come across as almost cult like but you come to realise that everyone is genuinely committed to doing right by their customers and that's not a bad thing. It certainly beats working for a soulless corporate. Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours.

Cons

There are a number of reviews on here that talk about how hard it is to progress in engineering careers and how disconnected senior management are. Speaking personally, I genuinely don't recognise that description of the place so YMMV.

Skyscanner2020-01-30

"Toxic"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The usual: pay, location, benefits. Can work from home all the time.

Cons

Managers manipulate workers into bullying others. This poisons teams. I think that most of the time the people that actually do the bullying are not aware of what they are doing, most of the time they are immature and they are manipulated by the managers, who, being the teams very isolated, have unlimited power. Passive aggressive behaviour and emotional blackmailing are the norm.

Skyscanner2020-05-29

June 3, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there - we’re really sorry that you have experienced any passive aggressive behaviour – please do reach out to someone in the People team in confidence to discuss this. Last year’s employee survey found that 88% of our employees believe that Skyscanner values an inclusive working environment. We want everyone to feel similarly valued and comfortable, so if this isn’t the case for you, we want to fix that.

"When there is smoke, usually there is fire"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Work from home Good pay Nice office location

Cons

I would like to add my experience to the many reported here. I honestly believe that Skyscanner is a toxic environment, as many have reported here already. This is not a good environment, you (at any level) are expected to do as you are told, full stop. It is not safe to express concern or (god forbid) try to report it. But what I find more disturbing is the fact that they preach and claim the exact opposite. Be prepared to be spoken over in meetings. Be prepared that other people take credit for your work. Be prepared to be cornered and set aside if you are not part of the cool kids club.

Skyscanner2020-05-01

May 11, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. We’re really sorry that this has been your experience. We’d value hearing more: we truly want to ensure that all employees at Skyscanner are treated with dignity, fairness and respect. It’s a vital part of our culture. We’d appreciate if you’d reach out directly to someone you are comfortable with internally, so that we can understand more about your experiences and take action accordingly. The People Team will treat all conversations confidentially and we’ll work to address your concerns as best we can. We hope to hear from you.

"Bullying"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice offices Work from home Some people are nice

Cons

Unfortunately I have personally experienced bullying at Skyscanner.

Skyscanner2020-03-31

April 9, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there – we take the point that you’ve raised very seriously. Making sure that people at Skyscanner are treated with dignity, fairness and respect is a vital part of our culture and it’s included in our Dignity at Work policy. We’d appreciate you reaching out directly to someone you are comfortable with internally, so that we can understand more about your experiences and take action accordingly for positive change.

"Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Commercial in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skyscanner CEO - Bryan Dove - and his openness and refreshed vision Skyscanner culture and its values Flexibility to work from home/ other Skyscanner offices Autonomy at work freedom of speech / able to share opinions

Cons

Lack (underdeveloped) operational processes that slow down an overall business cycle

Skyscanner2020-01-20

"There is nothing to be learned here"

Former Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

All nice and good: coffee, snacks, ping-pong table. Good pay. Work from home.

Cons

Sadly there is really nothing to be learned here. It's all and only neverending pointless discussions to show off how supposedly smart, knowledgable or powerful you are. Very very little gets ever accomplished.

Skyscanner2020-02-12

"By far the best place I have worked"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Cutting edge problems and technology to work on - Best of equipment - top of the range Macbooks - Working from home whenever you want - Excellent benefits including credits for Skyscanner hotels and flights - Top notch office environment with ping pong, free barista coffee, soft drinks and snacks. Plenty of social events to attend also.

Cons

- Some of the staff who have worked here for a while can have a bit of a "know it all" attitude and don't always respect the experience that others may have attained elsewhere. - Some staff are in their own cliques and don't like to let outsiders in to their group.

Skyscanner2019-12-17

"I hate working at Skyscanner"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good pay. - Can work from home basically all the time. - Some people are nice. - Nice central location.

Cons

- Full of lazy people: everybody "works from home", minding their own business from home and doing no work at all, and that is perfectly acceptable, because managers do it all the time in the first place. - Extremely corporate: it’s all politics and avoiding accountability. - Management lies and bullies people constantly. - Very afraid of trying anything new. - Principal Engineers are corporate bullies that command, do as they please and are not accountable for anything. Good luck if one of them does not like you. Looking for a new job, I will be leaving as soon as I can!

Skyscanner2020-01-14
  9. "Great place to work , even though challenging times ahead of us"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Strong Engineering culture - Benefits are awesome , (work from home, home country working , coffees, scooters , Seal leave) - Awesome offices and vibe (Travel is awesome , right?)

Cons

- Culture differences among different offices - Big challenges with tight deadlines from time to time

Skyscanner2019-10-29

"Bulling and manipulative"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most people are friendly, open and well meaning. - Comp and benefits are excellent. - Great work-life balance and work from home arrangements.

Cons

- Skyscanner wants to look open and inclusive, but I have found the middle management to be bulling and manipulative. - Nothing ever gets done: it's all talking, meetings and Confluence pages... not a place if you are an engineer and like doing rather than talking. - Skyscanner is very conservative and very afraid of trying anything new in terms of product or technology. They are much more like a bank or a big corporate than a tech company. - Office politics is rampant. - The product is going from bad to worse, and nobody cares. - They don't know what they are doing and have no clue about how to go forward. If nothing changes very soon, Skyscanner will disappear.

Skyscanner2019-08-29