Skyscanner Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 17 Apr 2020

3.5
Skyscanner Chief Executive  Bryan Dove  (no image)
Bryan Dove
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours(in 42 reviews)

• "Schedule flexibility, work from home country or another office(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Squad leads (except a few) are total bullies(in 14 reviews)

• "Senior management is very distanced from the rest of the company(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"A company that cares about its employees and its users above all else"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic culture, investment in employees health, development, wellbeing They ensure they hire great people: smart and with the right attitude They actually give a damn about their users above all else, even if that means a financial hit Work/life balance is fantastic. Remote and flexible working is the norm (even outside of global pandemics) Even when times are tough we're given extra hours/time off to allow us some headspace

Cons

It can be hard to get things done sometimes. Lots of teams working in the same space and unclear boundaries/redundancy in effort.

Skyscanner2020-04-17

"Arrogant and mediocre"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Work-life balance Free snacks Coffee machine Fruits snacks

Cons

Absolutely mediocre but they think they are the best. Superficial. Arrogant and insufferable.

Skyscanner2020-03-13

"Great people and culture, jumping through hoops to get things moving"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance, great people, friendly atmosphere. Ceo and senior management team are not external hires but actually people promoted from within which says a lot

Cons

The role of data scientist is too far removed from engineering and means different things to different people within the company. It takes a lot of liaising with different people and teams to get access to resources and get anything done.

Skyscanner2020-03-18

Skyscanner Response

April 9, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there – having strong collaboration between individuals and teams is important to us. We’re continually working to build those relationships including strengthening the links between the Software Engineering teams and Data Science. Both teams are integral to our business. We’ll continue to create an environment where teams and individuals thrive.

"Very few opportunities in engineering , very boring work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Great work life balance Coffee machine Fruits and snacks

Cons

There are not many opportunities in engineering, and the few ones are closely reserved for the usual friends. Not a good place if you want to actually do software engineering.

Skyscanner2020-03-25

Skyscanner Response

April 9, 2020Skyscanner

Please could we ask that you talk to you manager in the first instance. If you have done this already and would like additional support, please reach out to the People Team in confidence, we value everyone’s contribution. If you’d prefer not to approach your manager, then the People Team is also there for you.

5. "Great company with inclusive culture!"

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner for less than a year

Pros

This is the best tech company I have worked for as a Talent Acquisition Coordinator and later Executive. There is a wonderful inclusive culture where everyone, no matter their role, is acknowledged for the important part they play in the overall functioning and success of Skyscanner. It is a culture where all ideas are heard, valued, where there are open and respectful discussion, and where employees are given full autonomy over their own work. Career development is always at the forefront of managers' minds, and the work-life balance is great.

Cons

In some instances it may take some time to be converted from a contractor to permanent employee, simply due to available headcount, however contractors are fully supported and backed by their managers if they wish to stay and have proved themselves to be a valuable member of the team.

Skyscanner2020-02-19

"Culture is not what they say it is"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Work life balance Some smart colleagues Nice offices Working for a famous product Pay and benefits

Cons

What is preached and sold, in terms of culture is very different from reality. I should have listened to all the red flags during the interview process: lots of questions not technically relevant to the position, too many (strange) "cultural" questions, interviewer bored/uninterested and not capable to connect, clearly not a clue about why they were hiring in the first place. Skyscanner does not like dissent, there is actual concern in speaking up. Technically it appears that Skyscanner has all the answers and their way is the only one, unique and right. Engineers are requested to run in circles following the latest quarterly fad (they call it goal) that will change again in a few months. Self promotion, lots of talks, showing off. Politics. Extremely hierarchical and cliquey. Design team is terrible. Squad leads (except a few) are total bullies. Some tribes are awfully technically antiquated. This is the real culture of Skyscanner!

Skyscanner2020-03-14

"Horrible little tyrants"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance. Opportunities to travel.

Cons

Strictly authoritarian company: you have to believe and do everything the "Skyscanner way". Little tyrants everywhere: every single person who has minimal power forces his/her way of doing things. Plenty of self celebration. Huge egos. Very small human beings.

Skyscanner2020-03-10

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skyscanner is a fantastic place to work - people and culture are its' greatest assets. I've been working in engineering for more than 15 years and I've never come across another place where almost everyone I encounter is positive, engaged and highly skilled at their job. There's no shortage of engineering challenges to take on and learn from but the company clearly values and invests in making it easy to do the right thing. Again, different to everywhere else I've worked, this company really lives and breathes it's values. At first, this can come across as almost cult like but you come to realise that everyone is genuinely committed to doing right by their customers and that's not a bad thing. It certainly beats working for a soulless corporate. Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours.

Cons

There are a number of reviews on here that talk about how hard it is to progress in engineering careers and how disconnected senior management are. Speaking personally, I genuinely don't recognise that description of the place so YMMV.

Skyscanner2020-01-30

"Micromanaging: your opinion doesn't matter"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Good pay. Some people are good (but not all). Good work-life balance. Offices are not bad.

Cons

As an engineer expect to be micromanaged. Your opinion doesn't matter, because technical direction is authoritarian and top down. Huge (and frankly ridiculous) self promotion. There are many tribes that are extremely cliquey: very few people that are good friends feels entitled to as they like and bully others.

Skyscanner2020-02-29

"Odd Culture, No Engineering Focus"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance. Opportunities to travel. Squads/Teams have high autonomy (leads to lack of clear direction however).

Cons

No clear way to progress or gain promotion. Poor bonus structure. Over emphasis on marketing and 'face'. Senior management devoid of depth, honesty, realism and are out of touch with what employees actually think and feel. Over emphasis on engineering an odd culture of subservance. The few have most say. There is a genuine fear in people that they cannot speak out. Self promition and blogging are ways to progress; no actual work is being done however to merit any of it.

Skyscanner2020-01-18