Slalom Consulting Reviews

Reset
4.3
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • When they say work life balance - they mean it (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• career path is not totally clear (in 16 reviews)

Didn

Former Employee - Practice Area Lead
    Former Employee - Practice Area Lead

Pros

Slalom offers a broad portfolio of consulting services and a "local model" that is attractive to employees and clients. It tries hard to be a great place to work.

Cons

Slalom placed a lot of emphasis on diversity, but people who had a different point of view to the regional and local leaders (all of whom, without exception, are middle-aged white men) had a tough time. I came to Slalom to learn how to build a consulting practice, but in the end, I learned how not to do it. So I learned some valuable lessons, but it was unfulfilling and I quit with relief. Slalom's local model means each office acts like a franchise, operating quite differently from other offices, with few opportunities to work collaboratively across markets. We tried to sell strategic, project-based work but the constant fire-drills to clear the bench meant most consultants were body-shopped to clients.

Advice to Management

Be brave; if local leadership isn't working out make changes swiftly instead of taking years to resolve a bad situation.

2. Great company, great people, great work!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

I am so happy I made the switch to Slalom Consulting. Culture is really important to me and the people I've met at Slalom are some of the best people I've met in the workforce. They are driven, kind, supportive, and personable - qualities that are extremely important for making work enjoyable. I've also had great experiences with the projects that I've been assigned to. Some projects have challenged me, some have been familiar, but all in all I leave each project knowing I made a positive impact on the client.

Cons

I wish there was more PTO (currently it is 3 weeks), there was a defined hierarchy (we are all considered Consultants regardless of our years of experience).

Advice to Management

Be more approachable. There are some PAL's and CSL's who always have their head down and seem to ignore a friendly hello.

1 Sep 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback. It's fantastic that you've found such a good fit with your colleagues, the projects and the Slalom culture. Thanks for your suggestion of a more ... More

3. Love your future....and slalom WILL do that for you

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Amazing people. Unique culture. Brilliant leadership. Great benefits. Amazing incentives, Employee owned. A company that truly wants to help you build your career, in the direction you chose.

Cons

None that I can think of. I would love to see unlimited PTO...but who wouldn't?

Advice to Management

Keep the culture consistent.

1 Sep 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you are really enjoying working here and that the Slalom culture, leadership, colleagues, and structure work very well for you. Awesome. If you have ... More

5. Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pullman, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pullman, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and driven in their careers. The culture is amazing and everyone seems to mesh really well together.

Cons

Can't think of any because this has been such a great place to work.

26 Aug 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for your review! It's great that the Slalom culture and your colleagues are such outstanding "pros"! If think of any additional feedback that you'd like to share, we'd love to hear it. Please ... More

6. Excellent Firm with Very Promising Future

Former Employee - Information Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Information Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, brilliant co workers. The office is lively and active most days of the week, and the entire office is a genuinely collaborative place. Very skilled managers who work very hard to see their teams excel.

Cons

None to share at this point

Advice to Management

Keep

28 Aug 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for providing some feedback. It sounds as though you very much enjoyed your colleagues, managers, the work and the culture. If you think of any other feedback that you'd like to share, please ... More

7. Best Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat their employees great, very professional. Very strong leaders, all employee are very smart and driven. They practice what their preach. The culture and work environment is great. Great work/life balance, great pay and benefits. Best employer I've ever worked for.

Cons

Maybe more flexi schedules for corporate such as 4/10s or 9/80s. Other than that, keep everything up.

Advice to Management

Thank you! Excellent and keep it up.

26 Aug 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for leaving a review! Looks like you're enjoying our culture, your colleagues, the work and a lot of other aspects of our company. So glad that you're enthusiastic about working here. Thank ... More

8. Project Operations Coordinator

Current Employee - Operations Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Slalom provides a great environment for each of it's employees. They go above and beyond to make people feel included and supported.

Cons

Pay is a little lower but they make up with it with fantastic benefits, great retreats and presents.

Advice to Management

Continuing doing exactly what you are doing :)

28 Aug 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide some thoughts around your experience of being with Slalom. It's great that you feel included and supported in your work. If you have any feedback that you'd like ... More

9. Slalom Canada

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Slalom presents the opportunity to work in a world-class consulting environment, with top talent, blended with the flexibility and agility to cater to our clients ever-changing needs. The culture is that of a start-up: collaborative, cutting edge, hard-working, and committed, with the back bone of an established delivery organization in the US. The ability to grow Slalom's brand in Canada has attracted a small group of industry leaders, and the group really promotes self-direction and an opportunity to share your future within the organization.

Cons

Slalom requires self-motivation, self-discipline, and ability to work autonomously, combined with the willingness and ability to collaborate and make decisions on the fly. This is what attracted me to them, however for some that may have come from a rigid, process-oriented, structured environment, may be overwhelming.

10. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company focuses on the quality of its team members. Senior Leadership does not refer to project members as resources by as team members. They are adamant of rating the success of a project on not just the delivery but the overall happiness of the project team as well. Our team members are great and operate as a community of friends. I feel comfortable with our work place and enjoy the culture here.

Cons

Not at the moment. Have been working here for 3 months

28 Aug 2015 – Communications Manager

Thanks for leaving a review! It sounds like your team and your leaders in Atlanta are working very well for you. It's great that you are so comfortable and enjoy your work so much. If you think of ... More

Not built for the long term

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Culture and people are top notch. People truly want to do the right things for the company and its clients.

Cons

Strategically confused. Slalom does not appear to know what it wants to be. Stay the course and differentiate from the competition by doing great consulting, or grow too aggressively and overextend people to the point they cannot deliver as promised.

Advice to Management

Return to the basics, listen to clients, and don't be afraid to turn away work that is not a good fit.

RSS Feed </> Embed