Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

4.9
Dave Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is definitely the best I've experienced" (in 248 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "401k match has improved but could always be better" (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place"

Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great group of people - so friendly!
    - Strong company ethos and values
    - Extensive induction for my role
    - Regular team meetings and 1-1s with manager for collaboration / feedback/ training etc.
    - Company retreats!
    - Good benefits / pension
    - Office activities and groups aplenty
    - Social Impact / Charity efforts
    - Responsive management - you can have an impact
    - Everything has been as good as as was told it was!

Cons

- My role involves some out of hours conference calls with US. I knew this from the start and it’s not been a problem.
    - Nothing else. Very lucky to work here!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture coupled with real expertise leads to a great place to work and progress.

Cons

None that I have come against to date

3. "People-centric, different growth model"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a unique blend of entreprenurial spirit, start-up vibes, and being family oriented within a growing business.

Cons

The organisation is very flat, without the kind of leveling seen at other consulting firms. This isn't necessarily a con, but can be discouraging if you're focused on growth through titles.

Advice to Management

Keep an open door, listen to your people, and accomodate them as best you can.

4. "Consultant"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is so friendly and welcoming
    - Great company benefits
    - Amazing culture
    - My line manager is so caring and helpful
    - Lots of office activities
    - You really feel that you are valued at Slalom

Cons

N/A - I feel very lucky to work here!

"Right place, right team, right time"

Current Employee - Practice Area Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Practice Area Director in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing value-based culture that truly puts people and clients first. The focus on team and outcome-based work sets Slalom apart from the staff-aug firms. Travel if you want, don't travel if you don't want. Long term vision of UK growth and beyond means you make a real difference in startup mode, with the backing of a 5,000+ person global firm.

Cons

Expanding a US-based firm into UK is hard. Expect some ups and downs as we figure this out (which is the amazing bit!).

Advice to Management

Embrace Slalom one true global company. Build on what is great from the US whilst making your own flavour in the UK. You can stand on the shoulder of giants and still make your mark.

6. "An amazing place to work"

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Interesting work with cross-disciplinary approach
    -Amazing team feel
    -Strong sense of work-life balance- unlike many consulting firms, they appreciate flexibility and want you to sleep in your own bed at night

Cons

-Can be a bit of a choose your own adventure in terms of career development- great for some, but can be tough for those seeking a strong structure

7. "Come for the challenge, stay for the fun !!"

Current Employee - Technology Enablement Consultant (Cloud) in London, England
    Current Employee - Technology Enablement Consultant (Cloud) in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of companies say they have a great culture but very few actually do. I've been welcomed with open arms into a very inclusive company that prides itself on the quality and happiness of the people. Openness and commitment to the delivery of disruptive consultancy to help customers progress as well as great social aspects including various sport (5-a-side, running, yoga, climbing) and a real sense of family means I'm looking to stay here for a very long time.

Cons

As we're expanding so rapidly it's sometimes difficult to find a desk in the office when you're not on customer site.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

4 May 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It's wonderful to hear that the Slalom London culture is resonating so strongly with you and that you've built such great connections with your colleagues.

We will... More

8. "Talented people, great culture and amazing potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

The things that have impressed me about the company are 1) the people and 2) the ability to learn from mistakes. I have found that everyone is kind, welcoming and all are just trying to do the right thing - there may be conflicts or differences of opinions, but everyone respects each other enough to work through it. As well, we (as a business) have not always made the right decisions, but leadership has reflected, learned, pivoted and emerged in a better place than before.

I will admit, the first few years were tough; it was hard to get our name out there, we weren't always getting the best work, we made some bad hires and lost some good people. But we got through it and now things are so much better - we have incredible talent, interesting projects and the energy is buzzing - you really feel as though you are part of growing something that's going to be great.

Cons

There are growing pains as with any small company growing quickly. There are lots of senior leaders who are great at their craft, so it can be more challenging for those at the mid-level management level to find opportunities to step up / lead and move to that next level.

Advice to Management

Continue to find opportunities to delegate to your mid-level leaders in ways that push their skills and set them up for a successful transition into more senior leadership.

4 May 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear that you feel aligned with both your colleagues and leadership on 'doing the right thing.' It's also good to hear that, despite some growing pains... More

"The evolution of consulting"

Current Employee - Client Service Partner in London, England
    Current Employee - Client Service Partner in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom attracted me with its definition of being ‘thinkers, makers and doers’ and after 12 months in, I could not be happier with my choice of moving from a XL traditional consulting house.

Life is different at Slalom. We are encouraged to think a lot more, to really understand the question before jumping to solutions. Selling becomes almost a ‘by-product’ of having interesting conversations with clients, instead of the sole reason the meeting was booked in the first place. Clients love that, and in return we sell more. If it sounds simple, is because it is - great people working together, without the politics or silos of the big-4, doing interesting work and building a career they want.

Cons

Slalom has only recently (last 3 years) started its expansion outside the US. It’s a great journey and the company needs to get better at servicing its new offices outside America. It can be a little frustrating at times having to go back to Seattle for things like legal discussions.

Advice to Management

Make sure our culture and values continue to dictate who we are as we grow and conquer the world.

2 Apr 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing a bit about your experience working at Slalom London. It's great to hear that you're feeling engaged and fulfilled working at Slalom.

We'll share your feedback regarding the... More

"Slalom offers fantastic opportunities for personal and professional growth"

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a diverse group of talented people who come together to help solve client problems.
    The career structure is flexible... you really can create your future.
    The culture is relaxed yet professional. The team make a big effort to make new joiners feel at home.
    The business is growing fast... growth creates opportunities!

Cons

You need to know who you are and have confidence in your own ability. Slalom won’t define who you are for you.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on building the team and giving them the freedom to create their own success.

2 Apr 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Slalom London. It's good to hear that you are enjoying the culture, the flexible career structure, your colleagues and the growth opportunities... More