Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Slalom Reviews

Updated 5 Dec 2019

5.0
Slalom CEO Dave Williams (no image)
Dave Williams
Pros
Cons
  • "Lower salary compared to market/industry; Some roles can be more staff aug rather than consulting(in 61 reviews)

• "Our current 401k match is 50% of contributions, up to 6% of your salary in total(in 46 reviews)

"Fantastic interview process - Slalom London"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

The interview process was fantastic, from being contacted on LinkedIn for a role I came to check Glassdoor as I'd not heard of Slalom before. I had an initial chat with Ria who was really easy to talk to and really friendly, we ended up chatting for about half an hour and agreed to come in for a face to face. I had two interviews, both blurred the lines of a technical/cultural interview. The culture at Slalom... is amazing, it's the best I've seen when researching companies and since starting I can say that they definitely live by what the say. I had a my interviews within a couple of weeks of each other and had the offer the day after my final interview. Things move very fast, I was also talking to other consultancy companies and some hadn't even sorted out my first interview by the time that I'd accepted the Slalom offer.

Cons

I'm only a few weeks into starting at Slalom but everything so far has been incredible (even to the point of being taken out on work events before I started!) I'm excited about my future at Slalom, big things are planned.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the amazing working environment that you've created so far is not lost as the company grows.

Slalom2019-10-28
  2. "Interview Process and Initial Thoughts"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

People focused business Highly knowledgeable and friendly senior consultants Flat hierarchic structure Very focused on your personal and professional development Flexible working schedules but really interesting work

Cons

Nothing that really stands out. Remember that the flexibility is there but it does not mean that you can start to over-relax.

Slalom2019-09-10
  3. "Great culture, interesting work!"

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead - Data & Analytics in Manchester, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super interesting work. Flat structure so you can be technical and into hands on delivery but also senior. There is progression for really technical people which I haven't seen at other consultancies. No unwanted travel so works well with family life. This is respected and you're not penalised for it. Focused on client delivery so not too many internal meetings / processes. Progressive, supportive and... collaborative culture. Exciting to be part of a growing market. Fun people.

Cons

Still evolving the UK market so relatively unknown in the UK. Can be a bit immature as a company, e.g. roles / career paths still being defined. Messaging and internal content is skewed towards the US since that is still the dominant market.

Slalom2019-08-28

"Everything that I was promised during the recruitment process"

Current Employee - Client Service Partner in Manchester, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Been with Slalom for a couple of months. The onboarding process was excellent. Super impressed with the focus that the leadership team places on getting the culture right for our people and clients. Really exciting to be part of what is effectively a start-up with the backing of 7000 global colleagues. Lots of scope for personal development and to shape the business. Work-life balance is fantastic and much... appreciated after many years on the road.

Cons

None really. The pace is super fast. We don't have every detail nailed yet but that just means being prepared to roll your sleeves up to tackle something new every day.

Advice to Management

It is difficult to balance staying true to Slalom principles that have proved so successful while adapting to local market. I think we have got this right for Manchester so far but requires constant focus.

Slalom2019-08-23
  5. "Best place I’ve worked!"

Current Employee - Account Lead in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Growing quickly - Lots of room for personal growth - Fun and talented people

Cons

- With the pace of growth there is a lot of change. This is both brilliant and a challenge so people joining Slalom need to be ok with that.

Advice to Management

Over-communicate and prioritise presence as it counts for a lot!

Slalom2019-05-16

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm in my 2nd week and so far and I can only speak about the recruitment process and on-boarding truly. By working with experience at first place, I reaaally pay attention on the culture and every single step involved in the employee experience that makes it alive, and from my short experience with Slalom London, it's been AMAZING so far! Starting with the recruitment part, it went very smoothly and the in house... recruiters are so nice and kind, very helpful and prompt to help you. Interviews were so nice that they felt more like a chat, and what stood up to me was that they cared not only about how technically good you are, but also how strong your soft skills are and how it's a match with their culture. On-boarding was also great! Slalom office has such a friendly vibe and they really designed their process to make us feel good with all the new info, that usually make newbies uncomfortable and overwhelmed. In a nutshell, they just not preach user/customer/employee experience, but they seem to really apply the principles they sell to clients internally, and this feel right and great, very consistent! Small details really count too, and I was delighted when I received a hand-written card alongside a book that translate their culture delivered to my house prior to start and also a warming email from my practice director, welcoming me and asking which size of screen I wanted for my work mac-book. I'm literally in love <3

Cons

I've just started and the only cons I can think of is the free chocolates and M&Ms available, if you don't have a very good self control mechanism, you end up following on temptation all the time :D

Slalom2019-04-29
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very good work-life balance and flexibility - Talented people who are experts in their fields - Lots of opportunities for self-development including funding for external certifications and internal training

Cons

- The company has a flat structure which isn't a bad thing - however, there needs to be more emphasis on career progression and enabling consultants to develop in their roles/transition into more senior roles

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue interesting projects that people love to work on - don't drift away from the culture that attracted people in the first place. Focus on career progression.

Slalom2019-04-23
  8. "Not perfect, but very close and striving to get there"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked at Slalom for well over a year, on divers type of engagements with different clients. Here are the strengths: 1. Culture: Senior management is working hard at fostering a great culture of collaboration. support and inclusiveness ... in an agile kind of way (i.e. you are entrusted to figure out the right solution and Managing Directors are available to help/unblock you) 2. Client list: While the UK branch is... fairly recent, the client list is really starting to be very impressive and exciting to work for! 3. Workplace: The office is right by the Borough Market, has just been fully refurbished, with floor to ceiling windows facing the Thames river ... it is a very conducive, practical and stimulating workplace. 4. Colleagues: The caliber of people hired is really impressive. In all my time there, and even while working with US market folks, I've always been proud of my colleagues ... never been disappointed!

Cons

Now of course, the place isn't perfect or without areas for improvement. But the list is both short, and the attitude is to tackle those issues head-on versus burying them. 1. Salary: Was told during the hiring process that salary negotiation wasn't limited to once a year, but when I introduced the subject, my MD told me that we could discuss it during our annual review. I also witnessed a colleague negotiating... substantially higher day rate with a client during engagement renewal for which our management refused to translate into a salary increase to that employee when asked for. Though, in all fairness, salaries seem to be in-part with the medium range of the market. 2. Fast growth: While not a con intrinsically, it can lead to culture dilution and turning the place into another "Big 4" grinder which is more focus on milking accounts then repeat client due to amazing work being done or because we are pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved.

Advice to Management

Culture is a living organism and should be managed as a competitive advantage. Hence, a strong focus on walking the talk and leading by example should be a priority. Therefore, I'd recommend higher management to strengthen the transparency approach which is in the company's DNA when it comes to communicating on major items such as: * International growth strategy * Employee training strategy * Career opportunities

Slalom2019-04-07

"It was not for me"

Former Employee - Soldier of Fortune in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Slalom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really great people, and getting very good at cloud and SaaS implementation

Cons

- Leadership talk about being people focused but their actions do not much the words - There is a lot more “body shop” project or staff augmentation than they like to let on - Very little exposure to senior executives at clients, and therefore limited strategic work

Advice to Management

Diversify your leadership, improve employee benefits. You had a chance to really disrupt consulting, but you may have blown it

Slalom2019-04-10
  10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Slalom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic culture coupled with real expertise leads to a great place to work and progress.

Cons

None that I have come against to date

Slalom2019-01-09