Smith & Williamson Reviews

3.3
Smith & Williamson Co-Chief Executives David Cobb & Kevin Stopps
David Cobb & Kevin Stopps
Pros
Cons
  • "The firm is very old-fashioned (from the 'style' of the office, to the management style)(in 14 reviews)

• "Morale quite low due to long hours and low rewards(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great network of people willing to help progression"

5.0
    Current Employee - Investment Manager's Assistant

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone wants you to succeed in there, they push you out of your comfort zone early on which made me mature a lot faster than I feel I normally would have. All staff have an abundance of knowledge and are willing to help. Great communications between offices and departments.

Cons

Challenging working and studying for exams but you are given time during the day to revise if you have no work which is quite rare.

2. "Good Exposure - Outdated technology"

Former Employee - Account Assistant in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good client exposure Good brand Friendly Team

Cons

Terrible technology which often prevents you from carrying out your role effectively.

"Horrible working environment"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time

Pros

Pay was good for the job I was doing.

Cons

The working environment in this company is possibly the worst I have ever experienced. Nobody speaks to you, if you ask for help you are told off. There was very little work to do for some people while others were overwhelmed. There was very little training and no company induction. The worst part though was the manager I had who was completely unapproachable to the point that people were actually scared of him.

"Good training opportunities"

I have been working at Smith & Williamson

Pros

Able to interact with clients and given responsibility early on.

Cons

Overtime is expected and not paid, despite contract indicating it will be.

5. "Great place"

5.0

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team members, study support

Cons

Nothing I can think of

"Poor management & processes"

1.0

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good clients, good name to have on the CV, reasonable starting remuneration (but often doesn't rise once you are there)

Cons

Took a job at S&W because I thought they would have industry leading practices given their reputation. Instead I found that the systems were incredibly outdated compared to other firms, there was an absence of any training/induction. Even worse, however, was a prevalence of bullying from partners (one in particular) that sadly went unpunished when reported to more senior partners. Teams were often under resourced meaning it was often necessary to work long hours just to keep on top of work. Overall, very disappointing with a bad work environment

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is good remuneration and culture

Cons

Agile working not in operation

"Not what I was expecting"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good package Work like balance

Cons

Very outdated with systems and processes Staff morale is very poor in our team Management unapproachable No training on systems and processes

"Overall good but old school"

Former Employee - Business Tax in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great diversity of work - Great people / 'family-like' environment - Promotions available - Relaxed environment

Cons

- Always behind. The firm is very old-fashioned (from the 'style' of the office, to the management style). Even by being in central London, you feel like working in a very close minded organisation. - Very old-fashioned mentality for a London firm, it feels like working in an 80's style accounting firm. - Technology is pretty much non-existent, although the firm is starting to work on it. - Not flexible at all. Working from home is pretty much non-existent and seems to be only available to certain people. The process is very unclear around it, some staff members work from home regularly, when for some others it seems to always be declined. I have also been hired on the basis that WFH was not regular yet, but the firm wanted to change mentalities, hence I was open to work from home when I wanted to try and push it forward. After 6 months, I was almost always told off when I mentioned I would work from home, and later be told that I could not work from home anymore, unless an official request had been made to my managers and HR ... this is not what I have been told during the interview process. - Poor management and utilisation of staff members. Although I keep hearing that the team I used to work in, is understaffed (hence why I have been hired), I find myself being low on workload even by constantly requesting other team members for work. This is due again, to the firm being very old-school and refusing team members to share clients to help each other, meaning that some staff members will be flooded by their workload, whilst other who could help, are bored. - Benefits are not good and very oriented towards people having children. - Culture and professionalism needs to change. It is common practice for people in the office to openly joke in a nasty way about other staff members and be borderline discriminatory. This goes from tax trainees to Director levels ... not very impressing.

Continue reading
  10. "Good place to learn, nice people"

Former Employee - Investment Manager in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to interact with daily Higher than average level of exposure to front office activity early on Supportive of study hours for exams etc

Cons

Not many. Actively push for opportunities.

Found 73 reviews