Smith & Williamson Employee Reviews about "old fashioned"

Updated 5 Aug 2020

3.6
Smith & Williamson Co-Chief Executives David Cobb & Kevin Stopps
David Cobb & Kevin Stopps
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "old fashioned"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Seems a good company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time

Pros

Good company to work for, room to progress, people are friendly

Cons

Some things seem a bit old fashioned

2. "Friendly on the surface, not so in the job"

2.0
    Former Employee - Trainee in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Welcoming team, nice location, several external work clubs

Cons

Old fashioned structure, bullying, poor work-life balance, little reward given to employee sacrifices

Continue reading

3. "Good Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Smith & Williamson

Pros

Friendly and inclusive culture, professional and well-established company. I learned a lot from smart and capable people and had a nice internship experience overall.

Cons

Some of the goals and expected behaviours for interns were not clearly communicated throughout the internship, only at the end-review - autonomy or self-sufficiency is less appreciated and it has quite an old-fashioned, bureaucratic organisational structure.

"Overall good but old school"

Former Employee - Business Tax in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great diversity of work - Great people / 'family-like' environment - Promotions available - Relaxed environment

Cons

- Always behind. The firm is very old-fashioned (from the 'style' of the office, to the management style). Even by being in central London, you feel like working in a very close minded organisation. - Very old-fashioned mentality for a London firm, it feels like working in an 80's style accounting firm. - Technology is pretty much non-existent, although the firm is starting to work on it. - Not flexible at all. Working from home is pretty much non-existent and seems to be only available to certain people. The process is very unclear around it, some staff members work from home regularly, when for some others it seems to always be declined. I have also been hired on the basis that WFH was not regular yet, but the firm wanted to change mentalities, hence I was open to work from home when I wanted to try and push it forward. After 6 months, I was almost always told off when I mentioned I would work from home, and later be told that I could not work from home anymore, unless an official request had been made to my managers and HR ... this is not what I have been told during the interview process. - Poor management and utilisation of staff members. Although I keep hearing that the team I used to work in, is understaffed (hence why I have been hired), I find myself being low on workload even by constantly requesting other team members for work. This is due again, to the firm being very old-school and refusing team members to share clients to help each other, meaning that some staff members will be flooded by their workload, whilst other who could help, are bored. - Benefits are not good and very oriented towards people having children. - Culture and professionalism needs to change. It is common practice for people in the office to openly joke in a nasty way about other staff members and be borderline discriminatory. This goes from tax trainees to Director levels ... not very impressing.

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Remuneration Friendly culture

Cons

Inability to spot talent and allocate tasks to utilise talent. Morale Some old fashioned practices Slow pace

6. "Get what you put in"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible and space to grow the business as you choose

Cons

Some areas are outdated and old fashioned

"Old fashioned"

2.0

I worked at Smith & Williamson

Pros

Work/ life balance, friendly people.

Cons

Old fashioned, outdated IT infrastructure

"enjoyed my time here, would recommend"

I worked at Smith & Williamson

Pros

the people are great, good work/ life balance

Cons

old fashioned in processes/ attitude to technology

9. "Nice people and work/life balence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time

Pros

Generally people are all very nice and thus it makes for a good working environment. Work/life balance is sensible, which means you can progress without sacrificing time with family and friends. Management are open to ideas and are supportive if you want to make change.

Cons

Historically has felt a bit old fashioned, with a lack of investment in IT and marketing, however this is already changing.

Continue reading

"jaguar of the accountancy world"

Secretary in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson

Pros

The company prides itself of only choosing reputable clients who are not likely to be talked about negatively in the press. They have a lot of integrity, are very skilled, slightly old fashioned in their approach and outlook but they are in this for the long term catering for gentlemen and ladies with equally reputable backgrounds and reputations. Very lovely people, friendly environment and stable. Built some lasting relationships and friendships there. Ladies and gents of the business world you can count upon: a rare commodity indeed in this fast paced, hard core capitalistic and edgy financial world.

Cons

Slightly old-fashioned, not very progressive especially with the more admin type roles, still calling assistants secretaries and not very competitive salary.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 English Reviews