Smith & Williamson "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Smith & Williamson Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 5 Oct 2019

3.4
Smith & Williamson Co-Chief Executives David Cobb & Kevin Stopps
David Cobb & Kevin Stopps
Pros
Cons
  • "The firm is very old-fashioned (from the 'style' of the office, to the management style)(in 14 reviews)

• "Morale quite low due to long hours and low rewards(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good employer, nice wage and work life balance"

Former Intern - Investment Banking Associate in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson for less than a year

Pros

Good working culture, work life balance

Cons

High pressure environment, challenging objectives

Smith & Williamson2019-09-15

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Remuneration Friendly culture

Cons

Inability to spot talent and allocate tasks to utilise talent. Morale Some old fashioned practices Slow pace

Smith & Williamson2019-10-05
  3. "Support Team leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

S&W provides a good work to life balance, since working here I've found it is easy to move around and do different type roles and have always been encouraged to do so.

Cons

Out dated systems which are slowly moving in to the 21st century. Pay is alot.less than other Invesent management companies

Smith & Williamson2019-04-04
  4. "Pretty average"

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and social

Cons

A lot of luck as to which teams you end up on which then dictates your future career

Smith & Williamson2018-12-18

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Smith & Williamson full-time for more than a year

Pros

It has a great work to life balance; you never have to worry about being asked to work past 5pm. Bosses understand you have a life outside work and respect that. I haven't experienced negative office politics.

Cons

I wouldn't say it's a very driven place. Deadlines are routinely missed, and everyone is looking to push work onto someone else!

Smith & Williamson2018-05-16

"Shockingly bad management breeding a culture of self-interest and negativity"

Current Employee - Personal Tax Advisor in Guildford, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time for less than a year

Pros

- exams paid for - good work life balance - nice lower level employees who care about each other

Cons

If you want to work for a company which wallows in mediocracy, a company that practically encourages you working solely towards your own self-interest rather than the benefit of both the client and the rest of your team, then I would advise you sign up right away. The number 1 problem I witnessed at Smith & Williamson is the shocking management and leadership style from most (not all), of the partners. They are motivated solely by their own personal objectives, to the point where they are more than happy to get one over on another department or colleague, rather than working in the best interest of the company or their employees. This culture is contagious and therefore spreads to lower level management. It’s never about the team, it’s all about the individual. Targets set are completely unrealistic, unachievable, and unquestionable. During my time at Smith & Williamson I saw a number of staff openly questioned in front of the whole office about their work, this management style ultimately forced these staff to leave. In terms of career development opportunities, I would advise going to this company with very low expectations. This is particularly large problem in the regional offices (outside of London). As an example, a colleague was invited on a training review meeting, he went along and was asked to talk about his thoughts/feelings of the training courses he had been on over the past 2 years. This was surprising to my colleague because he hadn’t been on a single training course since being at Smith & Williamson! To cut a short story even shorter, the partner responsible for the career development had over the past 2 years not sent the graduates on a single one of these compulsory courses. The reason? No doubt because it wasn’t in the partners own self-interest. Unless dramatic changes are made to how partners manage their staff Smith & Williamson will be in the dark ages for a long time to come. If you like feeling devalued, not respected, not listened too, and simply a bum on a seat to make some money for the partners then I highly recommend you consider Smith & Williamson. It would be unfair of me to say this is all partners and management, however, the few managers that do want to make a change are trapped by unnecessary admin and dictatorial top heavy management who seem to be unaware that if you allow staff to feel valued and respected maybe (just maybe) there will be long term benefits... While IT is poor (as no doubt is mentioned in other reviews), changes are being made which will have a huge benefit in the long run. Overall, if you are a graduate looking to work in a regional Smith & Williamson office, think long and hard about your decision and carefully consider the above review. I wish I had read some of the reviews listed here before I joined… Shockingly bad management breeding a culture of self-interest and negativity

Smith & Williamson2018-06-12
  7. "Love the company"

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good work/life balance,

Cons

Long hours in December and January

Smith & Williamson2018-05-10

"Old fashioned"

I worked at Smith & Williamson

Pros

Work/ life balance, friendly people.

Cons

Old fashioned, outdated IT infrastructure

Smith & Williamson2017-03-11

"enjoyed my time here, would recommend"

I worked at Smith & Williamson

Pros

the people are great, good work/ life balance

Cons

old fashioned in processes/ attitude to technology

Smith & Williamson2017-01-17
  10. "Nice people and work/life balence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Smith & Williamson full-time

Pros

Generally people are all very nice and thus it makes for a good working environment. Work/life balance is sensible, which means you can progress without sacrificing time with family and friends. Management are open to ideas and are supportive if you want to make change.

Cons

Historically has felt a bit old fashioned, with a lack of investment in IT and marketing, however this is already changing.

Smith & Williamson2016-10-31