Social Point Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 January 2019

3.7
Horacio Martos and Andrés Bou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also you have health insurance, gym, games room, until parrots" (in 7 reviews)

• "Promotes a good work/life balance, as they understood that employees who feel good at work are the ones who perform the best" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The opinions given DO REFLECT the reality of Social Point really well, I'm not going to waste my time, I already did working there" (in 4 reviews)

• "Work-live balance (demanding and challenging projects, people work long hours)" (in 3 reviews)

"Great people/teams make a great company + amazing Barcelona"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The teams and people I work with every day are amazing (technically and socially), international and among the best I've ever met; real team spirit, sharing knowledge and learning at the same time.
    -The work environment/offices are great too
    - we get loads of benefits: big plus (private gym, free meals and lots more)

-Good work/life balance
    Barcelona. Well just the city's name does it all.

Cons

We have some imposed holidays when the company closes for everyone - in the summer and for Christmas/Winter holidays - maybe they could improve that.

Already have cool parties a couple of times per year but maybe they could organize smaller events for people in different teams to interact more.

Advice to Management

Definitely a good job with the transparency but maybe improve feedback collecting processes, bottom-up communication in some teams.
    Also maybe focus more on quality than quantity for some processes.

Social Point Response

30 Jan 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate your positive comments and will take on board the constructive feedback on communication.

"Worst experience in the industry."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Social Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is decent for Barcelona.
    Benefits are interesting, especially for Barcelona.

Cons

First of all I want to start by these fake 5 stars reviews: you can smell so much it has been made by HR or PR people to boost the rating (cause yes, it has been 2/5 stars during more than 2 years and it may hurt to acquire talent. That's one of the points that leads me to write this review.

If you start in the industry, Social Point can be an interesting starting point if you don't find anything else or if salary is your unique motivation.

But if you have a bit of experience, I recommend to avoid at all cost this company: direction (at least for the 1 of the 2 I met) & Management team have no respect at all for what you could bring. They just already know everything.

During recruiting session they will tell that they want to raise the quality of their games, hat they need senior profiles like you. But when you are in place, they will just tell you what to do without caring about you experience. The CEO and the managers are at the same time Art Directors and Creative Directors. Communication just happens through conflicts: the one who speak the louder is right.

And the worse of it, is that most of the time, they take decision without even understanding the topic.
    Yes, I am sure you have seen this in other studios, but I made different places, and it is beyond anything you could imagine.

For example, it has been hard for the CEO & the managers just to understand that you you don't make a 2D and a 3D game the same way, and that you actually have to model the objects rather than drawing them. But as management knows everything, you will have the same time budget for 2D and 3D assets :))

Another epic moment was the CEO saying in front of the whole company that people who left for the competition, mostly because of the constant crunch hours, were just "lazy".

Another point: if you ask the opinion about someone inside, just be sure to know him well: each person who endorse a new employees gets a "thousands of euros" bonus (a good motivation to hide the bad side of this company)

You get the point : I don't recommend this company (except maybe for programmers and analysts who seem more respected.

For the other: you deserve better.

Advice to Management

Do an internship in real games studios to see how managers are supposed to do their job.
    Put your team in a position to achieve success and to express their talent is the management role.
    Pretend loud enough to know everything in order to take all the decisions on every topic, is not the management role (not in this century at least).

This disrespectful management system works in McDonalds, not in a creative industry.

3. "Pleasant company to work for, not perfect."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best work environments I've ever had in more than 10 years of professional experience. (atmosphere, offices etc)
    Colleagues are humble and smart and many are now friends. It's an international bunch so easy to fit in too.
    More than decent salary + benefits (family also benefits of private medical insurance, pet's vet expenses covered, newcomers activities to get to know the city..)

Cons

Contradictions between the message management passes down and the general direction the business is taking.
    No remote work.

"Thrilled to start working there!"

Current Employee - Influencer Marketing Manager in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Influencer Marketing Manager in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- International team
    - Great office
    - Lots and lots of benefits
    - Events on a regular basis

Cons

I haven't found them yet as this is my first week but I'll leave a new review in a year!

Advice to Management

None for now

"If you only care about money and nothing else, this is it"

Current Employee - Product Management in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Product Management in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Good salary for the country
    • OK benefits (the list is getting shorter as time passes)
    • Nice offices

Cons

• No original game ideas as of late, everyone runs around trying to 'remix' but they end up copying other games entirely and making them more complicated. The company is living off of 2 legacy games right now but those players are running away fast.
    • Faulty 'creative' processes. New products are started exclusively by business people, no design/creative people involved for the first 2-3 months. When creative people are brought on board, they're just told what to execute and by when. Same on old products, creatives -engineers, artists or designers- have no say, people coming from -mostly- banking out-rank them and 'out-decision' them 10/10 times
    • No accountability. Top management has no accountability with anything they make, failure is always someone else's fault
    • The 3-year vesting plague. When T2 acquired the company top management was promised a bonus to be payed 3 years later if the company reaches some financial targets; all activities in the company revolve around those targets, making the so-called-vision of the company "Make Money"
    • Talent. The company has gathered a reputation by now and top talent is leaving and not joining; the money is gonna run out at some point and then there will be zero arguments to join
    • Leadership. C-levels and VPs are a like an organized crime group, they stick together to a fault in covering each others' tracks when someone messes up in order for T2 to not notice the ship is sinking before the 3 yrs are up. The only stand-up guy in this group appears to be the CTO

Advice to Management

No advice for current management, just wait for your pay day to come come end of 2019 and cash out, I guess that's everyone's plan anyway.

For T2: just make sure you have something left to run at the beginning of 2020. At this pace, irreparable damage will be done by then. Good luck, and God speed.

"A fun and dynamic company"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great spirit. As a new comer you feel very welcome. The office is also nice, confortable and well equipped. A good atmosphere open to creativity and searching for excellence. A loot of great talents ! Everything is done for employees to feel good at work (fruits basket, sports classes, music, physiotherapist and more...). Promotes a good work/life balance, as they understood that employees who feel good at work are the ones who perform the best !

Cons

Since I just joined not really any cons yet

Advice to Management

Don’t slip away from that way of thinking that’s definitely the best way to become one of the best !

"Impact, fun and learning new things every day"

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- This company is 10 years in the making, but still great possibility to have an impact. Start-up mindset and solidity joint together.
    - People with great professional stories and people with amazing potential working together means that you can learn a lot from both worlds.
    - More and more international.

Cons

- If you get frustrated with multiple changes, moving targets and having to be proactive, probably not for you. It's at times too fast-paced and messy and chaotic, but that's where the fun is. If you want to make a difference, there space enough!

"One of the best places to work at"

Current Employee - Marketing Video Artist in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Marketing Video Artist in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Full talented professionals
    - Very kind and funny people to work with
    - Video games related job
    - Crazy tons of benefits

Cons

It could be nice to choose the all the hollidays of the year at your own
    Also I would like to have the option to enter earlier so I could leave earlier at evening

"Avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Artist in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Artist in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

· They pay a decent salary, for Spain
    · Benefits are good, nice parties, good location (this are the main argument HR uses to recruit, but this is really no important, and it doesn't compensate the company problems)

Cons

· They are out of ideas, there hasn't been good projects in a long time.
    · The projects they do, fail miserably. This is because:
    · The most incompetent managers I have seen in my career. And they are protected, because they are a small group of friends, so they take no responsability for their failures, protect each other, and blame those who are trying to do serious job.
    · Giant ego and absolutely no self criticism. They don't admit any mistake, so they never fix them. They behave like they are genius but the products "just don't work", "the market is not there", "retention is not what we expected", etc. It's never THEIR fault.
    · People is abandoning the company more and more. Social Point doesn't want Take 2 to notice, so they constantly hire unnecesary people and don't fire the incompetents, just to look like they have the same number of employees.
    · People that are good in their jobs gets "burn" and leave the company. HR and the company knows this, and they do nothing to avoid it. They just think it's normal and it's not their fault.
    · The people that remains in the company are either: Good workers waiting for Take 2 to come and "clean" the company, incompetent and inexperienced people that found a place where their mistakes are not responded, and "trepas", climbers, people who just want to raise regardless of their talent. You will know who they are because they are always trying to go to lunch with the bosses.

Advice to Management

For the managers in Social Point: If you think you are doing a good job, you are not. If you are there just making money and living confortably, just leave the company and let people do their work.

For Take 2: Take action as soon as possible. Social Point is falling faster and faster. Do not trust the ones telling you everything it's fine. Get in contact with the workers, and ask them who is the problem. But find a way to do it confidencial, because most people are afraid of speaking and losing their jobs.

"Bad atmosphere covered with useless "perks""

Former Employee - Senior Game Developer in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Senior Game Developer in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Talented workforce.
    * Some nice benefits: Free food, onsite gym, health insurance, etc.

Cons

* CEOs are rude, specially one of them. Everybody is scared of them and bring the mood down by just showing up in the office. Also, they are a bit incompetent since they don't delegate execution work in order to focus on what they should be doing as CEOs (strategy, investors, etc).
    * The company is living completely on two successful but old games. They keep making money, but their user base is shrinking steadily. Several tries of new games have failed. The company is not innovating at all, but trying to copy other successful games in the market (and failing). This creates is a continuous atmosphere of pressure, rush, and frustration.
    * Money is literally wasted on stupid things, like maintaining three expensive parrots in the lunch area and paying a trainer for them. However, it looks like there's not enough money to provide decent office furniture for employees.

Advice to Management

CEOs: You got lucky and made lots of money. But you are still incompetent. Please just do the CEO thing and let talented people create new innovative games.
    Rest of managers: Try to convince CEOs to read the statement above.