Social Point Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 March 2019

3.8
Horacio Martos and Andrés Bou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also you have health insurance, gym, games room, until parrots" (in 7 reviews)

• "Promotes a good work/life balance, as they understood that employees who feel good at work are the ones who perform the best" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "The opinions given DO REFLECT the reality of Social Point really well, I'm not going to waste my time, I already did working there" (in 4 reviews)

• "Work-live balance (demanding and challenging projects, people work long hours)" (in 3 reviews)

"Great people/teams make a great company + amazing Barcelona"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The teams and people I work with every day are amazing (technically and socially), international and among the best I've ever met; real team spirit, sharing knowledge and learning at the same time.
    -The work environment/offices are great too
    - we get loads of benefits: big plus (private gym, free meals and lots more)

-Good work/life balance
    Barcelona. Well just the city's name does it all.

Cons

We have some imposed holidays when the company closes for everyone - in the summer and for Christmas/Winter holidays - maybe they could improve that.

Already have cool parties a couple of times per year but maybe they could organize smaller events for people in different teams to interact more.

Advice to Management

Definitely a good job with the transparency but maybe improve feedback collecting processes, bottom-up communication in some teams.
    Also maybe focus more on quality than quantity for some processes.

Social Point Response

30 Jan 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate your positive comments and will take on board the constructive feedback on communication.

"Worst experience in the industry."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Social Point full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is decent for Barcelona.
    Benefits are interesting, especially for Barcelona.

Cons

First of all I want to start by these fake 5 stars reviews: you can smell so much it has been made by HR or PR people to boost the rating (cause yes, it has been 2/5 stars during more than 2 years and it may hurt to acquire talent. That's one of the points that leads me to write this review.

If you start in the industry, Social Point can be an interesting starting point if you don't find anything else or if salary is your unique motivation.

But if you have a bit of experience, I recommend to avoid at all cost this company: direction (at least for the 1 of the 2 I met) & Management team have no respect at all for what you could bring. They just already know everything.

During recruiting session they will tell that they want to raise the quality of their games, hat they need senior profiles like you. But when you are in place, they will just tell you what to do without caring about you experience. The CEO and the managers are at the same time Art Directors and Creative Directors. Communication just happens through conflicts: the one who speak the louder is right.

And the worse of it, is that most of the time, they take decision without even understanding the topic.
    Yes, I am sure you have seen this in other studios, but I made different places, and it is beyond anything you could imagine.

For example, it has been hard for the CEO & the managers just to understand that you you don't make a 2D and a 3D game the same way, and that you actually have to model the objects rather than drawing them. But as management knows everything, you will have the same time budget for 2D and 3D assets :))

Another epic moment was the CEO saying in front of the whole company that people who left for the competition, mostly because of the constant crunch hours, were just "lazy".

Another point: if you ask the opinion about someone inside, just be sure to know him well: each person who endorse a new employees gets a "thousands of euros" bonus (a good motivation to hide the bad side of this company)

You get the point : I don't recommend this company (except maybe for programmers and analysts who seem more respected.

For the other: you deserve better.

Advice to Management

Do an internship in real games studios to see how managers are supposed to do their job.
    Put your team in a position to achieve success and to express their talent is the management role.
    Pretend loud enough to know everything in order to take all the decisions on every topic, is not the management role (not in this century at least).

This disrespectful management system works in McDonalds, not in a creative industry.

3. "Great recruitment and onboarding process"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process felt very close to the market in which the company operated, focusing on the skills, mindset and ability to think in a specific situation rather than pure academic, experience or resume.

Cons

A lot of autonomy from the start, I loved it and found it very efficient but some may not be comfortable with it.

4. "Best move of my career!"

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Joined a couple of years ago, I was looking for a more dynamic and flexible environment to work in and move my family to a sunnier country. Barcelona matched our expectations for everything from the children's school to the splendid weather and great quality of life
    Very happy with the job itself too, amazing colleagues and work space.

Great plus compared to my previous companies, SP organizes monthly events so we got to meet other expats and families too.

Cons

Lack of passion from some people in higher positions who haven't demonstrated their skills yet have gotten to the point where they feel comfortable in their role and forget to put themselves or their choices in question.

Advice to Management

Best advice to management is to stay positive and increase inter project communication.
    And focus on the audience and use the data!

"10 years later, we still have 2 CEOs and Horacio's personal guacamayos in the lunch area"

Current Employee - Developer in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Developer in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. It is great to work with most of the people, good atmosphere and will to improve
    2. The office is well located and well designed (silent rooms, several coffee area,etc)
    3. The benefits are useful (lunch, physio, gym,etc)

Cons

1. CEOs seem to be good people, but in a continuos stressed bad mood. IMO, it affects the whole company. They should let more freedom and trust to their direct employees.
    2. Most of the people in the leadership has grown with the structure, but currently are not providing any vision nor structure to the company. Right now we are copying what other companies do to seem as cool as the competency. I feel it's a pity when some cool initiatives (as company culture, or career plan) are led by a solo perspective, instead of creating an enriching discussion between those interested.
    3. A lot of talented people has left lately. Some new games in social point look promising, but the talent to execute them are also crucial to the final success. Also lot of great recruitment is being done, so... dunno... could be worse.

6. "The Marketing team has an incredible combination of colaboration spirit and results oriented"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very colaborative team with great attitude and always happy
    - Target and numbers oriented people
    - On the marketing team you are surrounded of great proffesionals, so you are always learning.
    - Enough budget to test things and discover new channels
    - Tools and resources to make your job better on the day to day
    - Based on Barcelona with great weather
    - Creative team integrated on the marketing team
    - Great offices
    - Good Salaries
    - Good Benefits
    - Big variety of games genres and game sizes
    - It is a 360 Marketing strategy so you touch all the channels Digital, TV, ASO, Influencers....

Cons

Since the integration with Take 2 the level of burocracy have increased for invoices and contract review, and this ads some unnecesary extra work.

Advice to Management

7. "Great environment in an excellent location"

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits;
    - Amazing offices;
    - Fast-paced working environment;
    - Young talent, great atmosphere;
    - International;
    - Working on entertainment :)

Cons

- No possibility of remote working

"Pleasant company to work for, not perfect."

I have been working at Social Point full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best work environments I've ever had in more than 10 years of professional experience. (atmosphere, offices etc)
    Colleagues are humble and smart and many are now friends. It's an international bunch so easy to fit in too.
    More than decent salary + benefits (family also benefits of private medical insurance, pet's vet expenses covered, newcomers activities to get to know the city..)

Cons

Contradictions between the message management passes down and the general direction the business is taking.
    No remote work.

"Thrilled to start working there!"

Current Employee - Influencer Marketing Manager in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Influencer Marketing Manager in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- International team
    - Great office
    - Lots and lots of benefits
    - Events on a regular basis

Cons

I haven't found them yet as this is my first week but I'll leave a new review in a year!

Advice to Management

None for now

"A fun and dynamic company"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Social Point full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great spirit. As a new comer you feel very welcome. The office is also nice, confortable and well equipped. A good atmosphere open to creativity and searching for excellence. A loot of great talents ! Everything is done for employees to feel good at work (fruits basket, sports classes, music, physiotherapist and more...). Promotes a good work/life balance, as they understood that employees who feel good at work are the ones who perform the best !

Cons

Since I just joined not really any cons yet

Advice to Management

Don’t slip away from that way of thinking that’s definitely the best way to become one of the best !