SolarCity FEC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Lyndon Rive

"Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - FEC in Colma, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with great hard working people. Saving customers money on there energy bills. Great products and services. Great partnerships. Home Depot and Best Buy

Cons

Under paid. Commissions were not paid till solar panels were installed. You have to go through 100 no’s to get to 2 yes’s. Long hours on your feet.

Advice to Management

You need to increase pay structure to keep good people

SolarCity2017-10-20

"Fast paced and challenging"

Former Employee - FEC in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great way to get lots of sales experience in a short amount of time.

Cons

Very aggressive quota ramp-up period wherein if you are not selling 7 jobs a month by your third month you are put on a one month warning period. If you don't ramp up to 7 jobs a month in the in the warning month, you are fired. And from what I've heard it's even more aggressive now. I remember I was the only sales guy left in my group of new hires after the first four months. Also you must devote all time outside... of appointments toward lead generating to ensure your quota is met which leaves the work/life balance by the wayside.

Advice to Management

Find more positive and inspiring ways to motivate sales team other than threatening termination.

SolarCity2017-08-02

"close, but...."

Former Employee - FEC in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

= great company mission = very good training

Cons

= not set up well to do business for many New Mexico homes = centralized corporate structure makes local office an outpost

SolarCity2017-05-07

"Help people get solar for their home."

Current Employee - FEC-Field Energy Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission is real to switch our world renewable energy! We are helping families most of them are very happy. Even with flaws and Bone heads in charge we are still better than most other solar companies. When we get it right we are tough to beat. Great job!...just not a career. Elon will eventually root out "the muck"

Cons

Biggest challenge is lack of leadership, the company does not value its employees like its should. Top-down philosophy, as with most corporations that grow too fast. The policy and procedure makers react instead of plan. As the leaders of the industry the tech is sub par. I have never seen so many I.T issues. Nepotism! Many employees hired and protected even when they are awful at their job. "The Muck" - aka the... "Wolves of Wall Street"aka "The boiler room bros"...News flash!...Those guys all went to jail!

Advice to Management

Listen to your people! Micro Managment does one thing, make people look for a different job. Relationship selling requires you to really believe in that philosophy, not used car sales tactics like scripts and SOP. WORK!! Some do a good job. However when you bust your butt and see management constantly passing the buck. That is frustrating! Lead by example! Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

SolarCity2017-04-27

"FEC"

Current Employee - FEC in Orange, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tesla, Elon Musk greatest visionary of this century. Renewable energy isn't optional at this point. Merger could save Solarcity from the ashes

Cons

Sales tactics circa 1970 complete lack of competent management, lack of genuine care for employees. They preach PCX perfect customer experience but that is impossible to achieve when employees are operating out of fear and desperation. Try PEX perfect employee experience, without that the goals will never be achieved and the company will continue to bleed money

Advice to Management

Take a wrecking ball, start at the top and lose the Enterprise car, Verizon Wireless management style and get professional management who understand renewable energy and how to present it too the public. Not with scripts written by people with either no or little experience. It's 2017 not 2008

SolarCity2017-05-06

"You're nothing but a number on a spreadsheet"

FEC-Field Energy Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SolarCity

Pros

The morale was great at first. The company had a great atmosphere. Then...

Cons

I was the top sales rep for multiple months working out of the new Pittsburgh office. Once Tesla bought the company the compensation plan was cut drastically, company car benefits were reduced to work time only, sales reps were required to generate almost all leads on their own (when one of the main selling points of the job was 50%+ company set appointments), and overall morale crashed! I sold over 2.2 MILLION... worth of solar for this company and they treated me like any other random employee on a spreadsheet on my way out the door.

Advice to Management

Get out before they fire you because your teams cannot hit the requirements by design.

SolarCity2017-05-22

"FEC"

Former Employee - FEC in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

loved the co-workers and still have friends because of them. lots of opportunity for advancement if you overachieve and work 50+ hrs per week

Cons

#'s #'s #'s... pay was awful for my education, and the constant changes were #'s driven vs culture and employee's. If this is your cup of tea, awesome, it didn't work for me, and many people get burnt out here. they also chose to hire a lot of people straight out of high school which honestly might be their best bet. the people crushing it work 7 days a week, and then get promoted.

Advice to Management

focus on relationships and employee growth vs looking cool

SolarCity2017-03-01

"FEC: Worst work environment, company doesn't care about their employees."

Current Employee - FEC-Field Energy Consultant in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Making a difference in the environment, bestvreason to work here is their quality in their product in comparison to competitors but thats about it. They provide vehicle but they expect you to work 60hrs a week for a base salary of 30k. Also job description looks pleasant for FEC but they fail to disclose you will be doing 4times more task.

Cons

Turn over is highest i ever seen and managers dont last longer than 1year. NO room for growth because they fire managers quick even if they are top performers. NO Job security for anyone. As an FEC I'm a top performer and I'm not happy with my job i hate it. Been with the company about 7months and been through 4 managers and about 11 consultants have either quit or been terminated due to company changes. If you... have a job that you dont like think twice because you will hate this job. I regret leaving my previous job to work here, keep in mind most of the reviews in here are from new employees who are barely in training. I wanted to wait before leaving a review to help those that rely on this reviews before making a switch. If you're a customer this company is great but even that being the case the company makes it difficult to sale their product due to so many restrictions. There's other better solar companies to work for.

Advice to Management

Earn your teams trust and have their back. They are the face of the company. Stop hiring managers who dont work well with employees.

SolarCity2017-01-11

"FEC - Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - FEC in Amsterdam, NY

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, getting to meet great people, company has a great mission, company car

Cons

below average base pay, expected to work +80 hours a week but it isn't made clear when someone first starts, have 1 bad month and you are out the door, employees are just a number

SolarCity2017-01-26
  10. "Mission Driven Company"

Current Employee - FEC in Washington, DC

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

This company will challenge you to do your best in what you do. If you excel, you will be rewarded .

Cons

Changes in management but for the better.

SolarCity2016-09-16