SolarCity Inside Energy Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 25 Sep 2017

2.8
SolarCity CEO Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

"SolarCity Inside Energy Specialist"

Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Roseville, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work. Ability to earn commission in addition to base salary.

Cons

It takes several months to receive your earned commission. More notice could have been given about the shut down.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing sales skills.

SolarCity2017-09-25

"Know what you are getting into"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of passionate coworkers, my sales manager was very approachable, if you are really good at sales you have the chance to get promoted. If you survive long enough to establish a good client base you can do well financially.

Cons

The company generates a lot of excitement because a lot of employees are passionate about renewable energy. However, the reality is that this is a cutthroat boiler room sales position. Hit quota or you are out. If you aren't a natural salesperson or can't figure it out very quickly you will be gone within six months. That is what happened to myself and over half of the people I trained with.

Advice to Management

Part of the training should be seeing a live installation.

SolarCity2017-05-05

"BEWARE !!"

Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Keep your skills fresh by talking with customers. Wait nine months to get paid $120 commission for 10 panels installed.

Cons

Complete chaos. Total upheaval. Disorganized. Mismanaged on all levels. Don't waste your time. Don't believe anything you see or hear.

Advice to Management

Open a dictionary and look at the word karma.

SolarCity2017-04-10

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The workers all have a common goal to help the environment. You can work a lot of overtime if you want. I started in 2014 as a outbound lead generator, transferring leads to consultants. I was quickly promoted in March of 2015 to a consultant and by end of 2016 was a senior consultant. I left with a lot of experience and great friends.

Cons

2015 was amazing and I thought I would have a career with SolarCity forever. Every month we were hiring 10-20 people, we got so large we needed a shuttle system. Month after month things continued to improve and get better. 2016 (disaster begins) I never thought it would happen but it did. We started downsizing to improve COA. I watched more than half the sales floor be walked out by the end of the year. Shuttle... system disappeared. We had changes that made our jobs less worth it. We got a terrible phone system, less referral money for our customers, more rules, micromanaging, free snacks turned to vending machines, they stripped job titles, they restructured our commission so everyone had the same commission tiers wether you were on your first day of tenth year, whether you are terrible at sales or amazing. A new higher up came at the end of 2016 with the Tesla Merger named Toby. He took away all control from managers, directors, VPs, ect... He pushed out everyone who poured their blood, sweat, and tears into SolarCity. I left early 2017 after hearing enough false promises. I am so glad I had the opportunity and so sad it turned out the way it did. I just couldn't bear seeing the continuous spiral of doom any longer.

Advice to Management

Sorry you guys have no control over your workers, I understand it's not your fault

SolarCity2017-02-25

"A lost ship at sea"

Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full benefits package, unlimited overtime if you are doing well, and a sense of stewardship in changing the world.

Cons

Management can't pick a strategy, is not open about changes, salary is too low, unrealistic expectations for quota, not the company it was even a year ago. All inside perks are gone.

Advice to Management

Set a course and keep to it. The recent restructure of pay and net quota expectations are not achievable by most of the sales force, so just admit the company is downsizing and let them go. It will give a better customer and employee experience.

SolarCity2017-02-08

"Find a Different Job!"

Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great friends on the sales floor.

Cons

The three people at the top of the Las Vegas branch are the absolute worst people you could ever ask to work for. If you do take this job, for some reason, don't listen to the lies told by the parade of people during training. You made the wrong choice by joining SolarCity. You will not make enough money to survive. You will struggle every month to make quota. You will lose your job in 100 days for a reason that... is absolutely out of your control. The people in the other departments, you rely on to get your commission five months later, are going to find a way to screw you out of that commission. And if the job gets installed and you have already been let go, your commission is $0. Fun, right? The new compensation plan is an absolute joke. If you read the reviews about how horrible the pay is, congratulations because now the pay is even lower. Do yourself a favor and get a job with a different company. One that doesn't have a 20% attrition rate PER MONTH! One where the directors are not only looking out to save their own jobs. Please explain to me why the three people on top of Las Vegas still have their jobs? Why do you need three people, plus the several RSMs to manage 60 people on the sales floor? This made sense when I had 300 of my colleagues next to me a few months ago. Now it is just gross and transparent. All signs are pointing to the Las Vegas branch closing by the end of 2017. If you don't believe me come take a tour and enjoy the view of the empty seats left behind by my friends. SolarCity sucks.

Advice to Management

Fire the top three people in Las Vegas. Stop pretending like you care about culture when you treat your "teammates" like dirt.

SolarCity2017-02-08

Inside Energy Consultant in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Industry leading products Flexible shifts Good coffee and tea

Cons

CEO should step down, business now exceeds his experience and skill set New management approach expects inside sales people to perform like robots, mandating what to say and do literally every minute of a 9 hour shift Badly botched new product launches Low base salary and commissions Typical time from close of sale to commission payment is 3-5 months, with no advances or draws available High sales... turnover Culture shift underway heading in wrong direction Do not recommend working here in sales unless you are a rookie or relatively inexperienced sales person who has very low living expenses and can take advantage of training and learning from some excellent team members.

Advice to Management

Need further change in C suite to set new and realistic direction and objectives for company. Come up with new marketing plan that is not so heavily based on inside sales reps generating referral business. Get real about revamping sales compensation plan to retain top talent and minimize turnover. Get sales management to back off hounding sales all day long with incessant asks to perform menial, unproductive tasks... through repetitive and ineffective email.

SolarCity2016-08-24

Inside Energy Consultant

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

The work/life balance is definitely something that is pretty amazing here. But I really feel as thought that is one of the few positives. The culture here is good and all of the reps are really nice. My manager is amazing but can't really speak any others due to not working under them.

Cons

The pay here is awful. You start off as an IES (inside energy specialist) and have to get to 80 installs to get to IEC (Inside Energy Consultant) which is where I am currently at. The bad part of it, is there is no pay increase when going from an IES to an IEC which is very odd. The only pay increase you get is when you go from an IEC to a SR. IEC and you get there by having a total of 160 installs (which can take... 2-3 years to get to). The upper management here is not very good as only 1 has actually sold solar before. Others were hired from outside and don't really have a clue what they are doing. Some learned the ropes and have improved but others not so much. I would not recommend this company to a friend until they can figure everything out and find a way to keep top talent and make it worth their while to stay. Love the company vision and what I do here, but to make the money I am being paid, I can go anywhere else and be paid twice as much.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to manage better in regards to monthly sales quota. They never get on managers or reps for not being at a certain target by a certain date. If they did this, it would make all reps and managers more accountable for where they finish each month. Bring back the culture the way it was a 2 years ago where everyone loved to come to work, people came in early, stayed late and had fun here. Now, the... culture has changed so much that people here are looking for a way out rather than focusing on staying here.

SolarCity2016-08-24

"Undelivered Promises"

Inside Energy Consultant in Roseville, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SolarCity for more than a year

Pros

Doing something positive for the environment, co-workers are really friendly and helpful. The managers are really friendly, but don't have the ability to influence raises/change.

Cons

in the last 12 months at SolarCity, I have made a lot less money than I was expecting. Less than 40k in a sales role. They pay you an $11.77 hourly job with the ability to earn commission, which at entry level is a joke. If a job is sold it take about 3 months to install, then you get paid at the end of the next month. The commission is the lowest in the industry, $15 bucks a panel. It is incredibly difficult to... make a consistent paycheck with this company.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees so they are more motivated to take care of your customers. You get what you pay for. The reason for the low morale is because the IEC's don't make much. You must have happy employees before you have happy customers. Your employees are miserable.

SolarCity2016-07-29

"Sr Inside Energy Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company culture is positive. I believe the top level execs (Lyndon and Pete) really want to make a difference in the world. They are seeking ways to bring the company back to the heyday. Positive moves recently made to bring back some of the original visionaries. I hope it's not too late

Cons

Solar should not be sold over the phone. The market has shifted. Residential customers are more savvy now. Competition is more than willing to send a rep to the customer's home and give a consultation. I realize SolarCity has outside reps. Company has reverted to a volume structure where they are buying leads. Quality of opportunities is poor. Very tough to make a living wage anymore. Company is contracting after... growing too rapidly.

Advice to Management

Use FEC role as a hybrid. Route the leads to the outside team. Let the FEC determine if the job can be sold over the phone or better in person with an appointment. The days of selling solar over the phone are done.

SolarCity2016-06-16