Sparx Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 24 Mar 2019

Found 9 reviews

4.9
Dan Sandhu
  1. "An exciting cutting edge project"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Exeter, England

I have been working at Sparx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly conscientious atmosphere Ideas and healthy debate always encouraged regardless of status Many opportunities to progress and transfer between different roles Very knowledgeable and helpful employees Good facilities involving gym and free hot meals provided

Cons

If relocating, quite a high chance that it will be from a long distance! However there are many social events to help integrate new staff.

Advice to Management

At the time I'm writing this the company is successfully attracting new partners at a rapid rate so management should continue to do what they're doing!

Sparx2019-03-24
  2. "Really value their staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sparx full-time

Pros

Flexible working, free breakfast, hot lunches and snacks, warm and friendly work environment, support career progression, great staff parties!

Cons

The only improvement I can think of is more options for working from home

Sparx2019-01-15
  3. "Great!"

I have been working at Sparx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely working environment Beautiful offices Flexible hours/commitment Interesting work Organised, kind staff Well compensated

Cons

Sometimes emails are lost due to their flexible secretary system, although this is mirror... otherwise keep it up!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Sparx2018-11-06

"Great data science internship"

Former Employee - Data Scientist Intern in Exeter, England

I worked at Sparx for less than a year

Pros

- Project: plenty of interesting work and real responsibility at an exciting time for the company - People: super friendly and supportive plus everyone is extremely passionate about education - Fantastic office: bright, airy with delicious (free!) food and great facilities (gym, showers, table tennis etc.)

Cons

- length: the internship is relatively short at 7 weeks

Sparx2018-09-18
  5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Proofreader in Exeter, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sparx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Intelligent coworkers, friendly atmosphere, understanding management. Evidence-driven product. Good facilities.

Cons

Open-plan office yields uncomfortable temperatures often. Some positions have zero-hour contracts.

Advice to Management

Jobs requiring intensive concentration require more break time than others. Failure to recognise this is probably a false economy.

Sparx2018-07-10

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

I have been working at Sparx for more than a year

Pros

I actually love my job and enjoy going to work every morning. Great working environment, bright & airy offices, great work colleagues which have turned into friends, free organic, locally sourced food for breakfast and lunch every day, amazing catering team, lots of employee events, free parking. Really amazing facilities, team dynamics, and an interesting exciting job to top it off.

Cons

Other benefits are not very well publicised or don't exist. Everyone stays late at work and then there is a peer pressure to stay late even if you have come in early.

Sparx2016-08-15
  7. "Pretty good"

Former Employee - Developer Intern

I worked at Sparx for less than a year

Pros

- great work/life balance - fast environment, as an intern, I learned a lot - lots of work trips/garden parties - healthy food

Cons

- everyone is too nice - the vibe is too British

Advice to Management

you guys are doing a pretty good job

Sparx2016-04-06

"Good internship"

I worked at Sparx

Pros

I interned last summer - the company is really friendly. We were made to feel welcome and part of the team, and the work we did was genuinely important.

Cons

Some of the work was a little repetitive. I can't think of any other cons.

Advice to Management

We had a chance to give feedback at the end of our internship, so I don't have anything more that I want to add here.

Sparx2015-06-10
  9. "Powerful mission & great people - what a place to work"

I have been working at Sparx full-time

Pros

Sparx is an education research and technology company that is facing an exciting challenge: figure out the best way to teach maths and help school teachers use this to get the best out of their students. I couldn't have wished for a better job. - Meaningful work every day - Great mix of people. It's not just your standard tech company as we have content writers and editors, examiners, video and games developers. -...

Cons

- Sparx is changing fast and seeing a few growing pains as it does, but nothing insurmountable. - I think working at Oxygen House has spoiled me for other jobs in the future.

Advice to Management

We recently saw a change of CEO as the company prepares for more big change in the next year or so. If you can keep the same culture that has made it such a great place to work, while continuing to add drive and purpose to what we do, then you will have done a great job.

Sparx2018-02-08