Sparx Reviews

Updated 17 Mar 2021

3.8
Sparx CEO Dan Sandhu (no image)
Dan Sandhu
  1. "Maths Test Marker"

Former Employee - Maths Test Marker in Exeter, England, England

I worked at Sparx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meals supplied Friendly staff Recreational areas in cafeteria (e.g. ping pong) Plenty of support with the job

Cons

Work only available every 6 weeks

"Avoid at all costs"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Data Scientist/Statistician in Exeter, England, England

I worked at Sparx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and perks perhaps in that is what motivates you

Cons

no integrity, bulling and micro-aggression are widespread, senior leadership encourage manipulating data and evidence to fit their narrative and sell products, competent people are systematically put down and overlooked in favour of those who know a lot less in their respective fields but are friends with the leadership team.

Continue reading

3. "Has changed quite a lot recently"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Exeter, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sparx part-time

Pros

Great team of people, great working environment

Cons

Less collaborative than it used to be

4. COVID-19

"Where has the vision gone?"

1.0
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Exeter, England, England

I have been working at Sparx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm over the lunches. Benefits used to be amazing. And important. That's when we had a business which looked like it knew where it was going, then we got a new CEO.

Cons

Mission has gone. Vision is not important and now today, job losses. Not through Covid apparently, just because they want to save money. Our founder has apparently been involved in the process, but feel his mission has been hijacked by someone with no real education understanding and no interest in anything other than their own self promotion. A shame to see what could have been and watch it now destroyed.

Continue reading
  5. "Great place to work at"

4.0
    Former Employee - Exam Marker

I worked at Sparx part-time

Pros

Good pay, friendly and relaxing environment, free lunch

Cons

I can't think of anything yet

"An amazing project to be part of"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Exeter, England, England

I have been working at Sparx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The company cares about impact over profit - we're doing amazing work and changing students' lives - Working with bright, friendly people - Great facilities, food etc.

Cons

- There is zero job progression. - Pay does not scale with responsibility, experience or even just with time to combat inflation - There is no investment in employee development. There's a lot of talk but nothing actually happens.

Sparx Response

December 13, 2019People Director

Thanks for taking the time to review - feedback is really important to enable us to continuously improve. It is great to hear of the things you enjoy about working for Sparx, and I wanted to respond to the areas of concern for you. This year, 16\% of our hires have been internal and it has been fantastic to see progression not only within teams, but also movement across teams.We are currently undertaking our salary review process, with increases applicable in January. Our approach is to use benchmarking data to ensure our salaries are competitive, which is then considered alongside the impact an individual has made. This does mean that not everyone will receive an increase every review.Thank you for sharing your thoughts on employee development. It is certainly our expectation that all our people have active development plans and we also have a development budget for development activities that come with a cost. If you haven't already, please talk to your line manager about this. Following feedback from our employee insights survey, we know that we needed to review and provide clarity on our family leave arrangements, which we have now done, and I am delighted to confirm, along with the rest of our benefits package, these are generous. Hopefully you will have seen this communicated recently.

7. "Really value their staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sparx full-time

Pros

Flexible working, free breakfast, hot lunches and snacks, warm and friendly work environment, support career progression, great staff parties!

Cons

The only improvement I can think of is more options for working from home

"Great data science internship"

Former Intern - Data Scientist Intern in Exeter, England, England

I worked at Sparx for less than a year

Pros

- Project: plenty of interesting work and real responsibility at an exciting time for the company - People: super friendly and supportive plus everyone is extremely passionate about education - Fantastic office: bright, airy with delicious (free!) food and great facilities (gym, showers, table tennis etc.)

Cons

- length: the internship is relatively short at 7 weeks

9. "Great!"

5.0

I have been working at Sparx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely working environment Beautiful offices Flexible hours/commitment Interesting work Organised, kind staff Well compensated

Cons

Sometimes emails are lost due to their flexible secretary system, although this is mirror... otherwise keep it up!

Continue reading

"Excellent place to work"

in Exeter, England, England

I have been working at Sparx for more than a year

Pros

I actually love my job and enjoy going to work every morning. Great working environment, bright & airy offices, great work colleagues which have turned into friends, free organic, locally sourced food for breakfast and lunch every day, amazing catering team, lots of employee events, free parking. Really amazing facilities, team dynamics, and an interesting exciting job to top it off.

Cons

Other benefits are not very well publicised or don't exist. Everyone stays late at work and then there is a peer pressure to stay late even if you have come in early.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews