Spencer Ogden Reviews

Updated 29 Apr 2021

4.1
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Commission structure, and great managers(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Limited career prospects, hire and fire culture, poor senior management(in 15 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Sincere efforts to guide and develop/ groom young professionals and graduates. Solid even during Covid-19 difficulties!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment in Singapore

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Structured Learning and Development Programs, High employee-employer engagement culture, WFH Policies ( even before Covid-19), Clear Career Path for promotion and organic growth. Weekly discussions on your progress as a team member. Diverse environment with experienced top billers who can mentor you on your growth. Collaboration is a big word for this company- you can even reach out and seek out mentorship from other leaders within the company aside to your manager. Regular Town hall meetings where everyone is encouraged to ask their leaders from different locations questions about growth, welfare, and company plans. Opens the channel of communication to be heard and takes recommendations carefully. Competitive package, career trajectory is attainable, promotion and salary increment are both based on milestones/targets met.

Cons

This is a place that you join if you want to specialise in their core brands ( Renewables, Oil and Gas, Built Environment, Power/utilities/Automation). If you are a young or aspiring recruiter and you want to be a niche /specialist professional -- this is a good choice. However, if you are more attracted to becoming a generalist recruiter, it may not the opportunities you will find here may not match your career aspirations. It takes a certain personality to prefer being a specialist. If you are unsure, an open chat or conversation will certainly not hurt.

August 25, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for this review. Its great to hear that the work the People team are doing is having an effect.

2. "Great to be back!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Banchory, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Healthy competition Global collaboration Rewarded for new business/sectors Flexible/fantastic support infrastructure

Cons

None that I have noticed thus far.

April 6, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and its great to have you back!

3. "a cold place to work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

offices all over the world - you could transfer if you were good

Cons

racial bias was very much prominent and not addressed. relentless kpi's that make the job not enjoyable

4. "Excellent!"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well defined career map, it is so easy to scope out your progression at SO.

Cons

I do not have any!

April 6, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short review . Please do feel free to feedback more so in our next internal engagement survey out later this month.

5. "Good starting place, but lack of autonomy"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong L&D function and good place for graduates to learn the basics Growing in APAC & the US

Cons

One size fits all day-plans & micromanaged Peoples mental health is ignored / not taken into consideration Leaders manage through fear and emails rather than a conversation - aggressive approach & do not listen Poor performance management process which is inconsistent Reactive / panicked recruitment & short-term view on results Lack of female leaders & role models

April 6, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. I'd be keen to hear more about your experience and feedback around mental health concerns. We've focused a huge amount on this over the last 12 months during what has been a tough time for everyone. We also have a lot more to come specifically around mental health in recruitment and sales. Please do feel free to reach out to me donna.ramshaw@spencer-ogden.com Regarding our leadership team- work has been done and continues to be done around creating a high performing culture with leaders who are able to adapt their style whilst holding our people accountable. We welcome further feedback around this.

6. "Focused on developing staff"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

focused on l&d fun place to work high pressure high reward collaborative with other offices

Cons

can be too much pressure for some still have a bit of move fast break things mentality

March 8, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short review. Great that you are seeing the benefits of our learning and development programme. Sales is a pressurised role and as you pointed out it isnt for everyone

7. "KPI Heavy"

4.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interview time with top billers - good to understand their methods.

Cons

Very KPI Intensive, less trust to work autonomously.

April 6, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short review. I am sorry the environment wasn't quite right for you.

8. "Work"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Manchester, England, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

All good enjoy my time

Cons

Work life balance and opportunities

April 6, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short review. We've worked hard over the last 12 months to develop our agile working programme and offer all of our people flexible working and working from home opportunities.

9. "Hard work essential"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to earn what you want

Cons

Micro management and constant KPI's

March 1, 2021Chief People Officer

10. "Mental Health"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice Office Location, But better in SOHO

Cons

Lack of care for employees. High Turnover. Poor care for mental health. Terrible commission structure Awful Diversity

April 6, 2021Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short review and points raised (although without specific detail) Our success over the last 10 years has been due to our hiring and growth model - organically growing has been fruitful for us as a business. A downside to that and indeed the sales as a whole is churn. Whilst we will continually work to improve that , it does come with the territory. Recruitment isn't for everyone . We work tirelessly to ensure we are hiring people with the right personality, skill set/potential and motivation to be successful within our business but we will not always get it right. We invest huge amounts into our People, we have a whole function dedicated to them, including an award winning learning and development function. We work really hard to ensure there is a balance of accountability in creating a high performing culture and having people at the heart of everything that we do. We cant make any apologies for wanting to be a high performing business, with high expectations. As a result we are able to offer unapparelled opportunities for the right people.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 274 Reviews