Spencer Ogden Reviews

Updated 30 Jul 2020

Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company in fast growth mode!"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Clear vision for growth Excellent support / structure / operations functions Leading L&D Team Energetic & Winning Culture Technology / Data led decisions

Cons

Nothing to note at present.... We have high expectations & standards, but its rare that high performance follows without it

January 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your positive review and nod to our support teams

2. "Grateful for the awarding winning training and commission structure!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company invest a lot in your training and self development, I've been here 2 yrs and never received such training elsewhere. There is a really strong management team atm so I am excited to be part of Spencer Ogden and my career grow. Commission structure on perm is up to 40% and uncapped, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Cons

Work from home but this regularly gets brought up in surveys.

January 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to confirm we are looking at our flexible working model as part of our engagement survey feedback- stay tuned

3. "Ok for grads"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun office Nice People Friday finish at 3pm

Cons

stressful Not all managers are good

July 16, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your short review. A role in recruitment can be demanding and whilst we really work with our people to ensure stress doesn't become a huge part of their lives, that can be challenging, most certainly in the times we currently face.

4. "Overall great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Really great place for first job, good culture, good management

Cons

Very low base salary - not a great incentive to stay at the beginning when you aren't earning that much commission

July 16, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your short review and recognition of our amazing culture and learning environment. Recruitment and sales is in the main about the ability to earn uncapped commission. As a result base salaries can be lower than other roles, but the earning potential and opportunity is unrivalled in my opinion. You have the ability to influence your base salaries based on revenue and competency milestones and we quite often see people gaining pay increases in very short spaces of time.

"Experience at Spencer Ogden"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

The firm has great offices with games etc and good marketing/branding

Cons

Boiler room tactics / KPI driven sales / poor management

July 16, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. I am not sure what boiler room tactics are. At least you enjoyed the games in the office- after all that is what work is about! We work hard with our leaders to promote and environment of flexibility within a framework and accountability.

6. "Clear Progression"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very clear progression path, based upon sales billings. Good learning and development, with everyone receiving training in order to speak with candidates and clients properly.

Cons

Very laddy, sales floor environment, which will appeal to some people. Not a flexible place to work.

"Amazing"

in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Great company that'll develop your business acumen, sales, soft skills and of course your sales skills. World-class training programmes provided by people who were recruiters themselves before moving into training positions. Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly. While your experience will differ greatly from one team to another, in general the culture is the same, work hard and play harder. If you're looking to make money at one of the best recruitment companies in the world then Spencer Ogden is the place. Before you do that, make sure hou have the right attitude in terms hard work, willingness to listen, tenacity and thick skin will be a good start. Everything is also incentivised from Rolex watches to 5 star trips to exotic destinations. The fact that most successful people at the company were once graduates from Spencer Ogden, shows what kind of company this is. Believing in the values of the company will also make your experience much more fun.

Cons

As mentioned above, your experience will be different depending on which team you join, make sure you do your research and don't be afraid to ask difficult questions, this will be appreciated! People at Principle level and especially Team Leaders will be stretched between hitting their budgets while ensuring their teams also do that, this could potentially have a negative affect on these people, but that's part of the reason why it's fun

January 28, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your detailed review. Really great to see a balanced review on here. Couldn't agree more around best practice and discipline around process which sets apart those who are successful here and those who are not.

"Amazing earning potential but be prepared to make sacrifices..."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

- amazing earning potential - high billing markets - fun culture - excellent training/coaching - fantastic office (ping pong, PS4) - good incentives - 3pm finish on Friday

Cons

- excessive focus on high (and sometimes meaningless) KPIs can be counter productive but this is recruitment in general - contracted hours offer decent work life balance but to succeed you will have to go above and beyond these; not necessarily a con but expect to spend 45-50 hours a week in the office

January 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. Recruitment in the first 12-18 months is a tough slog. I can assure you the yield once you have it is rewarding. You will soon see those KPI's paying off- the formula works!

"Exceptional Employer"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

My time at Spencer Ogden has been excellent so far, I have been given the opportunity to progress rapidly. Truly a great culture where good work is recognised and rewarded.

Cons

If you are not ambitious/hard-working it might not be right for you

January 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am glad you are reaping the rewards and opportunities at Spencer Ogden. For the right people, this is truly the opportunity of a lifetime

"Ok for some"

1.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun outgoing culture, some great people

Cons

Sharky, back stabbing, cocky behaviour is supported

October 8, 2019Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your short review. I can assure you that the cons highlighted are most certainly not part of our Core Values within this business and I would disagree that any such behavior is supported if displayed. I would urge you to speak with your local HR Manager around any such issues.

Found 225 reviews