Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing" (in 25 reviews)

• "Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be hard work and can stress you out" (in 12 reviews)

• "SO will at some point be sold- so all those senior management 'lads' have it coming" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Consultant"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Having worked at other agencies in the industry I can say with full confidence that Spencer Ogden is a truly special and unique place to work.

Positivity is promoted and wins are celebrated - there is a hard working culture of success driven, like minded people who enjoy the fruits of their intense labor. There is a real feeling of leading from the front with support from management given you a real sense of togetherness rather than working for them, as can be the case in this industry.

Cons

I can not see any real downsides to the company, there is a fair and cohesive environment producing consistent success which employees see in their paychecks and incentives.

13 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and really pleasing to see a review with some context in terms of Spencer Ogden in comparison to similar company's. We work hard to ensure a positive and collaborative... More

"Recruitment company of choice"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great career advancement opportunities - Having come to SO as a Grad I worked my way up to team leader. At SO its about performance, and not about how long you have been doing the job.

- L&D Team - SO has a dedicated Learning and development team that supports all staff throughout their career. Ranging from BD training to Management Training they cover it all. I am aware of few companies who provide as much L&D support

-Fun work enviroment - Probably biased, but I think SO has a really great workforce which makes coming to work fun. We all are here to work and make money, but have plenty of fun along the way. Having Pingpong tables, scooters, etc. also helps.

- Great office design

Cons

- Target Driven environment - its a recruitment agency so this should be a given. If you don't like working to targets and in a sales enviroment, SO/Recruitment might not be for you. However, SO adapts the targets to the individual over time, so not everyone is painted with the same brush which is refreshing!

26 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Great to see another success story from trainee to manager level.

3. "Senior consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

overall a good company
    chances to earn money and get good experience
    good people and a fun atmosphere at times

Cons

too much emphasis on kpi's
    sense of fun and atmosphere has faded a bit
    certain markets within the business lack real knowledge

Advice to Management

Back the individuals who ask and deserve it

20 Nov 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. Sadly recruitment is in the most part a numbers game and most certainly for less experienced employees its the building blocks to any successful desk and indeed any... More

4. "Worst place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool office, new desks etc

Cons

Awful culture, dog eat dog environment, non supportive

18 Oct 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your short review. I am sorry we were not the right company for you.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Receptionist in London, England
    Current Employee - Receptionist in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing new modern office in the City. Friendly staff and a general positive vibe throughout the office. There's a lot of room for growth, and a very supportive management team behind us. They are always looking for ways to improve and accommodate staff needs, and are always coming up with new incentives to keep everyone motivated. Our training team are excellent at what they do and are always coming up with new ideas on how to help staff move forward in their career - not just with the sales team but in all areas of the business. I look forward to coming to work in the mornings...and to top it all off we finish at 3 on Fridays!

Cons

More incentives for operations and finance staff

26 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Great to hear that our new London HQ in the city is a hit. Noted re incentives for support services, they are there but I think they need to be more widely published

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Finance in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership who generally care about their employees. Potential for sales staff to earn, learn and develop. A healthy rivalry between teams. Recent benefits include dress down and 3 pm finishes on Fridays both big winners.

Cons

Clear career path for sales staff needs to be replicated in support functions.

Advice to Management

Keep listening.

26 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Glad to see the recent benefits offerings are going down well. Noted ref career path for support services, something we are working on trying to articulate as we grow as a... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a fast growing business with a global presence and like-minded ambitious people. There's a good culture in the business with a lot of support from initial training on your start date all the way through to being a Director.

Cons

Its "work"! However, on a serious note, its what needs to be understood as people should not go into recruitment if they don't expect to work hard. If you do, the company and platform to be successful in your career is huge.

26 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and comments around our career development and the vast opportunities here. I agree that anyone considering a career in recruitment need to be mindful that whilst the... More

"Great place to achieve your career goals- investment in talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning and Development team and learning programmes are industry leading. Opportunity here is vast for the right people. Culture has evolved over time into a fast paced high achieving and professional business to be proud of.

Great incentives, huge investment in infrastructure and environment.

Cons

Recruitment is a tough gig and wont suit everyone, we've also made some mistakes along the way like any growing business. We acknowledge those mistakes and really work hard to improve the offering to our employees, clients and candidates.

Advice to Management

Ensure you are taking on board and putting into action the High Performing leaders programme that is being rolled out globally- its crucial to engagement and retention of key talent. Without people, we wont flourish.

26 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review.

"Awesome Environment & Team"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Spencer-Ogden for 4 years now, and I've loved it.

The L&D function is exceptional, I still receive regular training to develop my sales and managerial skills as I move into a team leader position.

The support received from management has really helped me to grow as a consultant, and the money you get isn't too bad either!

Cons

If you don't like working hard, then this is not the place for you. I don't really see that as a con if I'm honest!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, the culture in this office has changed over the years but only in a positive way!

11 Jun 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Great to see so many shouts out to our L+D offering which is key to our success and continued growth. Ongoing development and support is important to us as a growing... More

"Great Company for career progression and culture"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Great training from beginning till end. As a newbie into recruitment the training is fantastic and then through out your career the learning and development team continue to offer training so you never feel forgotten. So many are here that have started from grads and now in senior roles. The company is passionate about career development.

The culture is young and exciting and I love coming into work! What more can you ask for.

Cons

Slightly high pressure...but that's what sales is all about so not a con really.

Advice to Management

More incentives for ops and finance and maybe some more events where the sales and support teams mix to create more synergy!

31 May 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review- great to see someone enjoying coming to work. Noted re incentives for support services and more interaction socially.