Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews about "commission structure"

Updated 10 Nov 2020

4.2
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Commission structure, and great managers(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "commission structure"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Grateful for the awarding winning training and commission structure!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company invest a lot in your training and self development, I've been here 2 yrs and never received such training elsewhere. There is a really strong management team atm so I am excited to be part of Spencer Ogden and my career grow. Commission structure on perm is up to 40% and uncapped, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Cons

Work from home but this regularly gets brought up in surveys.

January 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to confirm we are looking at our flexible working model as part of our engagement survey feedback- stay tuned

"Would not recommend"

1.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fancy office, finishing work at 3pm on Fridays

Cons

Cocky environment, very bad culture, poor management, unclear commission structure

3. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Culture, Excellent Training, commission structure, legal support, Large L+D Team, Working in a head office of a multi national.

Cons

Long hours, strict lunch times, high targets

January 8, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I am personally pleased that you rate our L+D and operational support

"Recruitment Consultant"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Large open plan office - fun office environment to be involved with - Lots of out of office activities organised be the management team.

Cons

Heavily KPI focused - Top achievers receive preferential treatment - commission structure very poor compared with other recruitment agencies in the industry

January 9, 2017Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Recruitment by its very nature is a KPI focused job, similar to any in sales. Our commission scheme is among one of the most competitive in the market today. The environment is meritocratic and I could see how that may be perceived as offering preferential treatment to those doing very well- I am not sure how that is an issue, if you are one of those high performers. With success comes more flexibility and autonomy. I do think as a business we need to make it easier for people to be high performers and that is something we are focusing on in 2017 alongside getting more out of our CRM. Bullhorn is one of the best platforms out there but as with all of these things, its how its used. As a business we are focusing on this in 2017.

"Getting there...."

Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spencer Ogden is a sales company and so inevitably ends up with a bit of a laddy culture, encouraging a work hard and play harder mentality. As long as you're not looking for an easy ride and prepared to work your bum off for large financial rewards then it may suit you. There are huge commission cheques given out each month to Sales staff along with loads of incentives so the rewards are there, you just have to hit your targets. The Finance and Operations departments are full of decent people who work extremely hard to ensure the Sales functions all run smoothly. Everyone has each other's back (except for occasionally within the Finance team) for the most part and they're good teams to work in. There are decent starting salaries (except for the graduate salaries - those suck and are nowhere near a living wage for young people living in London - unless you want to live in a cardboard box in Croydon), great commission structure, bonuses for Finance & Operations staff and a variety of incentives. The offices are obviously cool (cool being the operative word - too cold!) and create a nice environment to work in. The company has been riding on the coattails of having cool offices for a while but has finally started implementing incentives for loyal staff - increased holidays the longer you work there, health insurance, less working hours for Finance and Operations etc so its becoming a nicer place to work.

Cons

Sales staff ARE expected to work hard and occasionally put in ridiculous hours - however most of these late nights are spent on YouTube or BBC Sport - what is the point of making consultants stay late if they're not actually going to do anything? Fair amount of sexist and somewhat racial comments are thrown around day-to-day with a blind eye turned by managers. One manager in particular delights in making sexist comments and generally acting like the court jester - not a great figurehead for junior members of staff. Company was in dire straits for a while and the scapegoat was the oil crash. This wasn't strictly the reason why the business was struggling - there was a lack of decisive management from senior managers, lack of engagement within the business, incredibly high turnover and no rewards for staff who stuck with the company. This is starting to turn around now and some work is being put in to increase employee engagement which can only be a good thing. It is ultimately a classic sales company - if you don't like that kind of environment then don't work there. The majority of the reviews on here are either from disgruntled ex-employees or sucky-up current managers, all of whom have a motive - take it all with a huge pinch of salt.

Continue reading

"Unrivaled Earning Potential, Amazing Culture And So Many Opportunities To Grow!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for just over 18 months, I joined the business shortly after graduating and knew nothing about recruitment. All I knew was that I was good at selling, I was entrepreneurial and I was extremely dedicated. I did some research about the industry because there were several job adverts online I was quite suspicious why more people were not doing it. After some thorough research, something just clicked. I had been spending my time applying for major corps and hearing nothing back when I realised that recruitment would give me the meritocratic environment I was looking for and so I applied. The interview process was professional and fun at the same time - Spencer Ogden assessment days are unlike any of the others I went on which either felt like I was interviewing for the military or rather dull. Spencer Ogden’s assessment reflects their culture and I knew straight away that I couldn’t pass up on this opportunity. Since working here I’ve learned so much in such a short amount of time. I don’t know anyone else from my friendship group that has been given my level or responsibility and variety in their role. I have less time than them to go to the gym in the evenings, but I’m self-motivated so I still fit it in. When others complain about long working hours it’s usually because they’re expecting an overnight fortune to happen which isn’t the case. Recruitment requires perseverance and a few late nights, and it is hard work. I personally don’t know anyone in this company who doesn’t put 100% in to everything that they do, and that’s why we’re the best paid recruitment consultants. If you fancy doing HR recruitment from 9-5 in a small start-up business that promises you lots of support and an easy life, then you’re probably not going to fit in to Spencer Ogden. Having read other reviews the one thing I have to disagree with the most is the comment on the environment not being meritocratic. I would be extremely surprised if this person goes on to find anything close. The business model is not built on a pyramid scheme, if this person knew what a pyramid scheme was then they would know it doesn’t even have slight comparisons. We employ those who have potential to do deals and lead others by example. We’ve built the world’s fastest growing recruitment company organically. This must tell you something. Picking up potentially profitable business leads for their own gain? Unlike many other companies out there, we don’t employ resourcers. We employ 360 consultants so any lead you do pick up, is yours. For those of you that don’t know the difference, if you’re good at resourcing (finding CVs for a senior consultant to make deals) then they will want to keep you in that position for as long as possible. I have never seen someone in Spencer Ogden do CV searching longer than 3-4 weeks whilst they find their feet. We don’t employ people that only have the capacity to resource, we employ dynamic driven individuals that would soon speak up and refuse to do 360 anyway. If we didn’t comply with national law, then how would we have grown this business from 9 employees to 335 in the mere space of three years whilst winning nationally approved awards that have been voted for by the employees and an outside governing body? Someone claims they saw over 100 people sacked in an office of 80 seats. If ever there was an example of sheer exaggeration this is it. We were not ‘forced’ to dress up in light of the Wolf of Wolf Street, to be very honest we look well-turned out every day so this was no different. A bit more about pay, I started on £18,000 with a rise to £20,000 after I passed my three month probation period. We now offer £20,000 to start. There is a reason we don’t buckle under the pressure of other competitors and offer our trainees £22,000 or in some case £25,000 to start. The most important thing to look at when deciding which company to accept is their commission structure versus their average deal value, do not be lured in by their starting salary. The bottom line is commission. Our average deal value is £25,000 compared to most others which are below £10,000. And you receive 15%, 20% and then 25% + of billings. This commission structure is unrivalled. Take this from me, I have friends that work for much smaller recruitment companies specialising in IT in Finance located in the city. Not only does IT and Finance depend heavily on the economy, it’s also had its day. We’re no longer in the dot.com boom and clients are much savvier now. Energy is not only a lucrative sector, it’s also growing rapidly. It’s a value commodity that operates in high end markets. Apart from the money I also do this because it makes much more interesting chat around the dinner table. I’ve just turned 24 and I am on target for Ibiza in May, on target to Las Vegas at the end of the year and I’ve just returned from an all-expenses paid lunch club last Friday. I’d love to spend all day on Glassdoor but I’ve got deals to ring up – over and out!

Cons

I have to admit the environment we work in isn't easy but I'm no more stressed out that my other friends that are in recruitment or on one of the big schemes like Aldi or Barlcays. There is quite a bit of pressure to get the deals in, but we work as a team and there is a lot of opportunity to speak out about this to your mentor or team leader and they will help you out as much as possible I didn't realise at first how much I would be on the phones for compared to client facing, but our KPIs are not as rigid as some others that I have heard out there

"Booming company, Booming market... $$$"

5.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Global company: prove yourself in your first 1-2 years, take your pick of offices round the world. - Commission structure: dont expect to earn it right away (first 9 months), but your pay can go from basic to silly in a matter of months. - Vibe: I have read a lot of other reviews on this site, focusing here on the negatives... firstly I have never seen any bullying whatsoever. If you come to work in a Spencer Ogden office, it is going to be energetic, loud, competitive and a good laugh. - Following on from the above, the office lay outs (which everyone talks about) but are pretty tidy. Bikes, baseball bats, punchbags, footballs, astro turf etc etc Cant imagine it being worse than being in a white-walled office. - Career progression: Again referring to the negative reviews about attrition rates, yes it is true that not all starters are here by the 3,6,9 month mark. But in my year+ I have never seen anyone unfairly sacked. It is made clear on entry, this is a meritocracy... do well get rewarded (highly), do poorly.. people dont want to stay. But what this means is if you do well, work hard and listen the opportunities are endless! You get additional responsibility, leadership/management experience, chance to attend global business meetings, go to Vegas/Ibiza, go on team meals/lunch club etc etc - All this chat about long hours? Pshht, its your own business, if you can get it running in short hours no one has a problem.

Cons

- We run out of milk sometimes. - Lotta dudes. - Tax on commission... nightmare.

Continue reading

"Great Sales Training, High Earning Potential, Fun Office Environment"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Fun team atmosphere Great sales training Solid commission structure that can change your life if you are willing to put in the work and get a bit lucky Really experienced management team who spends the time to teach you the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.

Cons

Very cyclical business - recruitment

November 16, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. Great to see our award wining learning and development has been useful to you. The OTE at SO can be life changing for those willing to work hard and smart. I am glad you have also benefitted from our world class mgmt team who we are continuously working with to develop and refine

9. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of work to do, constantly.

Cons

Commission structure is poor, but if you are good, its great.

November 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. The nature of any commission scheme is that the better you are the better do do and the more you earn. Our role is to develop you enough to get you to that point.

10. "Great Job, if you put in the work"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Commission structure, and great managers

Cons

Work all hours of the day

November 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thanks for your review - If you are able to provide a review with more information that would be super

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 English Reviews