Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews about "hard work"

Updated 14 Jan 2020

4.2
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Commission structure, and great managers(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hard work"

Return to all Reviews

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent atmosphere, hard working employees, supportive management team and has brilliant motivators to push you to work your best.

Cons

Almost no downsides to working here

January 8, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your feedback and I hope your positive experience continues

"Amazing"

4.0
     in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Great company that'll develop your business acumen, sales, soft skills and of course your sales skills. World-class training programmes provided by people who were recruiters themselves before moving into training positions. Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly. While your experience will differ greatly from one team to another, in general the culture is the same, work hard and play harder. If you're looking to make money at one of the best recruitment companies in the world then Spencer Ogden is the place. Before you do that, make sure hou have the right attitude in terms hard work, willingness to listen, tenacity and thick skin will be a good start. Everything is also incentivised from Rolex watches to 5 star trips to exotic destinations. The fact that most successful people at the company were once graduates from Spencer Ogden, shows what kind of company this is. Believing in the values of the company will also make your experience much more fun.

Cons

As mentioned above, your experience will be different depending on which team you join, make sure you do your research and don't be afraid to ask difficult questions, this will be appreciated! People at Principle level and especially Team Leaders will be stretched between hitting their budgets while ensuring their teams also do that, this could potentially have a negative affect on these people, but that's part of the reason why it's fun

January 28, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your detailed review. Really great to see a balanced review on here. Couldn't agree more around best practice and discipline around process which sets apart those who are successful here and those who are not.

"Fantastic company to work for"

Former Employee - Operations in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Having worked with Spencer Ogden for almost 5 years, I can honestly say that I had a fantastic experience based on a wide range of factors: - The offices are like no other. Having worked in my role, I know the time and effort that goes on behind the scenes to make them what they are for the staff. - The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing. - The activities and events that I was able to partake in made work so much more fun and exciting; fancy-dress days, BBQs, charity events, bake days – pretty much anything you could suggest, SO were willing to give it a go and give everyone a fun day. - The people – whilst you’re not going to get on with everyone, the thing that stood out the most for me was the people. - The training schemes and incentives for sales staff are fantastic - everyone should try to make the most of those. Put time and effort into your work, and you will reap so many benefits –not just financially.

Cons

The turnover of staff was a bit of an eye-opener for me, but in a Sales company, that has to be standard. With any job nowadays, if you aren’t putting the time and effort in, you won’t last!

September 29, 2017Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope your career is flourishing. Noted re incentives for Operational support which we now have.

"An honest review from a Consultant"

1.0
    Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

There once was a time where Spencer Ogden was rated really terribly on Glassdoor (around the time I started at the company) however I have noticed that the rating have really changed, and every negative review seem to have a slanderous comment falsifying everything that review has stated, from someone within the marketing team. So with this in mind, I wanted to write an honest review, outlining what actually happens within Spencer Ogden. Pros: It is true, the incentives can be great. If you're good. If you're not then it;s pretty rubbish, but that's normal. Now that I work in a company that's not so incentive driven, It's really nice to have every single employee appreciated and recognised. In Spencer Ogden this was not the case. You were only appreciated if you brought in a lot of money, which often was down to luck, having someone below you leave and taking all their business, or having other people in the office give you business. Or course some of it is down to hard work as well, but that's usually when you've been there a year +. The offices: yes, the offices are very "designed". Sometimes a bit gimmicky but clients do like it, and it does make it a nice atmosphere to work.

Cons

There have been some comments on a previous review stating that "This review is a mist of exaggerations and falsifications." - this is not strictly true, so I shall endeavour to confirm or deny the following: "Working hours 8-6" - not strictly true. The working hours are 8:30 - 6 (5 on a Friday) however if you turn up at 8:01 prepare to have a real telling off and the spanish inquisition as to why you didn't call to explain that the traffic was bad. If you leave at bang on 6 every day, do expect to have this brought up in a manager meeting at some point, asking why you aren't working hard enough. "if you don't make a placing of haven't hit your target in the week you are presented with a doughnut for 0" - not strictly true, this practice had been stopped by the time I started (Jun 2014) however this did happen for a good couple of years before I started, and stopped because it made someone cry (understandably). The term doughnut is still thrown around though if you haven't billed for the month. A throwback to the good old days. "You are bullied & teased - new starters get pranked in front of the whole office" - again not strictly true. Office pranks do happen and I personally did witness a number of new starters get called by their managers/team mates pretending to be a client with a job. That call was then recorded and sent around the office. "Drug Wolf of Wall Street Culture" - Now, I only knew of one person who took drugs at work, but I would not be surprised if many more did take them. They was a strong drug culture on the nights out with work, including the need at one Christmas party to for the bar to tell one of their employees to station themselves in the men's bathroom to continually wipe down the surfaces. Make of that what you will. "High turnover" - now this one is true. I was at the company a year and a half (leaving the end of 2015) and during that time, I started with 15 other grads and by the time I left there were only two other people remaining. Probably a quarter of the departed were fired by my calculations. However the two remaining people are doing very well. And they are lovely people. "call stats sent out 3 times a day for the whole office to see" - that is true. If you've done poorly, expect to be ridiculed for it. "power hour" - an hour where you're forced to stand in order to "create excitement". Now this is true, although it was stopped during the time I was there and only done maybe once a fortnight or something like that. It was just as horrible in its reduced capacity as it was when we did it every day. I never did any successful calls during that hour. I hated it. Some other things to consider: - the office is kept at a constant 16 decrees celsius, which did little to improve anyone's mood, and was particularly unfriendly unpleasant for women, who have a tougher time in the cold. - being a woman of non-Caucasian ethnicity, I did become the butt of many sexist and racist jokes. - Managers are very hit and miss. I had a truly wonderful manager when I first started at the company, and he was incredibly supportive and so selfless in his managerial style. He then left to make himself an amazing life elsewhere in the world, and I was stuck with a manager who knew nothing about my market, who cared only about herself and her billings, and was prepared to do anything for success. She subsequently took a lot of business that should have been shared out amongst the team, and I now have heard that she's since stepped down and not doing too great. So I guess she was never destined for a managerial role, but SO should have seen that. Or at least stopped it when people were quitting all around her (myself included). There were many other things that I didn't like about the company, but I appreciate that they're personal things and may come across "petty" and result in me receiving a character attack from the marketing team who are really trying to turn this glass door page down. However I do feel like I've covered the basics and I hope that I've given people enough information to know what kind of company they are getting themselves into. It's a great company for some, horrible for others. Just be prepared for a "lad" mentality and environment.

October 17, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review and opinions. A well rounded review with some valid points. Key to note that its not our marketing team who write these responses but a board director who is involved in all areas of the company including HR. You will see plenty of positive reviews on the site of existing and former staff. Whilst your review is rounded its a shame that quite often this forum has become nothing more than a trolling site.

"Spencer Ogden - Glasgow"

Team Leader in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Great business to work for where growth has been outstanding over the last six years, this has provided employees with great prospects for promotion too. Now in another phase of growth, I would say the business has matured and we have a fun, but hard working environment with a great mix of people. There are huge plans for the group to double in size in the years to come and again, this will provide more opportunities for all involved.

Cons

There are few cons I can think of here. Yes we work hard, but we have a mature and adult environment where all can flourish and really enjoy what they do.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Spencer Ogden offers a supportive, energetic and rewarding career environment. A huge pro for the company is realistic opportunity of progression and the chance to make yourself a success within recruitment. Incentives keep things exciting and the lively atmosphere sets the workplace apart from anywhere else.

Cons

Targets, KPIs and the pressures that come alongside may not be for everyone. Hard work is necessary to succeed.

Continue reading

"Don't be afraid of hard work and the rewards will come!"

Senior Member of Operations in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

I have been in the recruitment industry for 10+ years and I have neither seen or heard of such opportunities in a recruitment organisation like the ones here! Lets start at the top: 1) Pretty damn cool office space to work in! If you like sitting in boring cubicles or white walled, grey carpeted, dull office spaces then what is wrong with you?!? Working at Spencer Ogden can only be compared to working for a real ".com" organisation when it comes to your surroundings. Large open spaces, Green AstroTurf, A taxi for a meeting room in London, amazing meeting rooms in other office locations, & collaborative work spaces. But it is not just pretty surroundings that makes a great place to work... 2) Culture There is a very work hard, play hard culture at Spencer Ogden. And guess what, that is a good thing! Being surrounded by focused and successful people is a good thing to be part of. It is what makes you wake up in the morning energised to come to work. Culture + great work space is a great start, but there is more... 3) The greatest technology within recruitment at your fingertips! To be a successful recruitment consultant means having the ability to find the right candidate faster than your competition. Spencer Ogden do not shy away from investing in the technology to help you do that! All the systems are cloud based. You have leading CRM and Analytical tools to hand. Using email is simple as it is on the GMail platform. And all this sits behind a system where you only need to remember a single password! But good systems are only as good as their users... 4) World class training! Spencer Ogden invests heavily in training their staff. Whether you are a grad fresh into the industry or an old hand at recruitment, you will receive a high standard of training that will help you master your skills on the systems and on the phones! The 2 week intensive academy will train you to be a focused & confident on entering the market. But it doesn't stop there, you will be continually trained through your career. Even the senior managers receive regular training to ensure the standards stay high! But the training will only enable you to be successful... 5) The rewards of success! Spencer Ogden reward the successful people very well! Whether it is big commission cheques, incentive trips or even being enrolled into the share scheme, Spencer Ogden ensure you are well compensated for your hard work! Some of the largest commission cheques I have ever seen in my 10+ years in the industry are here! Conclusion: There are lots of negative comments on Glass Door that are not exactly true. The people that can't cut it in a fast moving, demanding role, are the 1st to blame Spencer Ogden for their failures! I would take these comments with a huge caveat that the person writing them, are probably looking to blame someone else for their short falls! Read and understand the positive reviews on here rather than the negative ones. You'll learn more about what Spencer Ogden truly is!

Cons

With any company growing as fast as Spencer Ogden... there are going to be some mistakes made along the way. But here's the good news, they learn from it and improve every day!

January 28, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for your review and its great to see our refinement of the already amazing culture is filtering through.

"A Catalyst for your Career"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked for the business for over 5 years; right the way through from a graduate on the Trainee Consultant 2 week programme to a Manager responsible for 4 brands and 14 Consultants. I can think of very few other careers or companies that could have offered me the same. Joining SO was the best decision I made as a grad with a hunger to succeed but no clear direction on a career. Don't get me wrong it's not easy and I worked hard for the position I am now in. I have seen many people come and go in my time here and it's easy to see those who will succeed just as I did; those that WANT it. You could not wish to work for a sales/recruitment business with better: branding, facilities, training, compensation/reward, incentives, technology, resources etc. The only limiter is your own ideas/ambition/hard-work.

Cons

Can be a little reactive to change from time to time, however considering the growth observed across the company throughout the last 6 years it's difficult to keep up! The success of the business has surpassed anyone's expectations!

January 28, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for the review and agreed that the summit really helped cement the vision and plan. If the results are there this year it will be a 'no brainer' in terms of a repeat next year!

"Associate - Hard work pays off."

Associate in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden for less than a year

Pros

Hard work pays off big time - work smart, put in the hours and you will reap the many rewards Spencer Ogden has to offer (Commission, incentives & strong career progression) . No room for time wasters or consultants sitting on basics - you will be left behind and inevitably dismissed. This ensures the majority of colleagues are positive, successful and not wingers.

Cons

The first 6 moths like any recruitment job can be tough and seem never ending, hours are long and KPI's monitored very closely - BUT.. this is all for a reason and will set you up for a rich future as SO. Many of our biggest billers started as graduates and worked their way to billing stardom in 2-3 years.

Continue reading

"The Market Leading Energy Recruitment Company!!"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

High earning environment - many 20somethings are earning £100kplus Great incentives - office in Ibiza and free holidays for top performers, monthly parties Very funky company - astro turf floors, trading floor environment, blue-tooth headsets

Cons

It's hard work, but no worse than working for a Bank or a Law firm Expectations are high, but that's one of the many reasons they are so good.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 English Reviews