Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 20 Feb 2019

Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Commission structure, and great managers(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Making big improvements!"

in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Having worked for Spencer Ogden in the UK for a number of years, the biggest pro I have to highlight is the amount it has hugely improved and developed as a business. Over the last 18 months, Spencer Ogden have become a more professional, corporate organisation. Some of my peers who started at a similar time or before me saw this as a negative as it has lost it's family feel but for me, this has offered amazing career opportunities and has allowed me to obtain skills and knowledge as well as progress quickly within my career. Spencer Ogden have really focused on attempting to improve the work/life balance of their staff. SO have acknowledged Ops and Finance staff are not in sales roles and have reduced their working hours in line with this which was really well received. They have also increased the number of holidays given to employees who stay with the business after a few years allowing you to earn way above the average number of days holiday compared to a lot of other business (both sales and non-sales!).

Cons

Up until 2015, Spencer Ogden were very much a victim of their own success. SO had grown very quickly and a number of high billing consultants were promoted to management without much training or awareness of what was needed to lead within a growing business. Over 2015 this changed and a proper training programme for sales managers was developed and the improvements are already visible. Spencer Ogden in it's younger days did really well at having women within senior management positions, however this has hugely shifted with only one female member of the board of directors now. Spencer Ogden are great at bringing women in at junior levels but not so strong at holding onto and training them up to be senior managers.

January 19, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for the candid review. We are glad that some of the changes and refinement we have made it starting to have an impact on what is an amazing group of people and business. Being that one woman on the board I can assure you this is a focus (diversity generally) for the business!

"**AVOID AT ALL COSTS**- ZERO STARS"

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no benefits that I saw

Cons

-Terrible terrible company with zero respect for staff -Positive reviews below come from SO management -Zero respect from industry/clients- seen as the cowboy agency of the O&G industry -SO will at some point be sold- so all those senior management 'lads' have it coming -Oh SO, Ohhhh SO oh s s o SO, what we going to do SO.

February 5, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your 'review'. Our managers here shape the culture of their teams. As a manager here for 5 years perhaps there is an indication there as to why you are no longer here. It also must have been terrible to work for a company for 5 years and have nothing good to say about it. One would question why you stayed for so long. I am all for this portal and forum to produce constructive reviews but this doesn't seem like that to me.

"Worst Recruitment Agency to work for."

Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

At first you will be wowed by the smart looking offices, you will then start to resent the fact you can never hear what your clients are saying on the phone or even what you are thinking. You will start to realize that the stylish designs of the offices are nothing but a cover up for what is essentially a terrible company. Company incentives and competitions are very good, however it does seem to depend on which team you are on to the quality and frequency of these. The dedicated training team are very good and really helpful.

Cons

The Senior Management is terrible in the most part, full of people who were either in the right place at the right time or who are friends with the right people. If these people were so good at being recruiters why in crunch times do you not get them back on the phones? Rather than have them stomping around the offices spurting useless tit-bits of information and pushing phone times and KPI's down your throat. Back office and accounts department are useless, the company puts in the awkward policies that may work in their overseas offices but ate mute here in North America and just cause recruitment consultants issues and make us look amateur to our clients. The treatment I witnessed of some fantastic recruiters when they were having a bad week/ month with a client drop out or candidate rejection was just awful. The behind closed door conversations and the back stabbing at this company was the worst I have seen at any company. Base salaries and commission schemes in North America are low/ average.

May 3, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am sorry the experience you had at SO was so different to the vast majority of staff who have worked in our very successful American offices. We have spent a lot of time engaging with staff to develop quite a unique culture with a real family feel. I am sorry if you didn't get to experience that. We have some of the company's top performers and indeed top managers working in the USA who I can assure you have paid their dues, having worked in a real start up culture which is tough to say the least. I can see why these individuals may now have been perceived to have been in the right place a the right time. They took huge risks to join a start up business and have worked tirelessly to get to where they are today. Its a shame that this isn't recognised by all (envy perhaps) We will take your points on-board and work to improve and evolve whilst remaining successful as we always do!

"Don't ruin your recruitment career"

2.0
    Contract Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden for less than a year

Pros

Great offices Many office locations for international travel Cool office parties Big name in the recruitment industry (possibly for the wrong reasons)

Cons

Horrendous senior management Trains you to be an annoying (bad) recruiter No research or real 'expertise' in any market. You either sink or swim. Expectation to work longer than contracted hours. Irritating and unnecessary pressure to hit KPIs

Continue reading

"Successful company but at what cost.."

2.0
    Former Employee - Employee in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

When you first start, the offices are cool... this last a few days before you realise that it's all a front to compensate for the absurd amount of your life you need to give up to meet the companies expectations. They used to have some good clients but with every single consultant cold calling every company, it's almost impossible to keep hold of any of them. The training programme is supposed to be a big selling point but it's really very poor and just teaches 'sales' rather than 'recruitment', the graduates actually come out with very little ability to actually deliver on the jobs they win. Pros - You'll get to meet lots of new people.. probably a couple a week based on my experience.

Cons

The culture is not good, a lot of the senior management seem to think they are big shots in wall street when in reality they are all fairly inexperienced managers who manage purely by KPI's and have no real ability, experience or training behind them. There is zero training and development from Team Leader upwards, probably because they don't have the skills in house to actually train anyone beyond 'trainee consultant' level. This is very evident from the 'one size fits' all management style - such as insisting on a power hour across the floor, at the same time, despite the fact you may be in the middle of something else or already have a strong client base. It's a childlike mentality which has spawned from one dimensional leaders who are still recruiting like it's 1999. No-one will dare to have a difference opinion, cos that's the way DSP wants it done so that's how it's done.. The company are hugely un-organised and this has really effected their ability to service their clients. From graduates cold calling their biggest clients to people hiding the fact that a deal is contract rather than perm just to keep it in their team. Integrity and ethics are not high on the priority list here, screwing over your colleagues is just part of the job.

May 22, 2015Marketing Executive

Thank you for taking the time to review SO. Following the success of the Graduate Academy, we have focused on the training and development for more senior members of staff and we have completely revolutionised this process. A new course is currently being rolled out for emerging leaders which will focus on developing those at Team Leader level and above. We also no longer run a daily Power Hour following feedback from consultants.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Office facilities are nice - Some good colleagues to work with - Incentive based trips for top achievers

Cons

The firm is essentially a high volume graduate call centre with a focus on sales-driven cold calling. There is an emphasis particularly on the amount of time spent on the phone rather than value added to candidates and clients. This is the primary emphasis of the management and any activity other than outbound sales calls such as client visits is not encouraged. As a result the firm doesn't allow more experienced individuals to use their judgement to act in the way that they consider most professional, instead working more like a "boiler room" operation at times than a consultancy. The publicised emphasis on emulating the "Wolf of Wall Street" which was picked up in a few national newspapers doesn't do anything towards dispelling the vision that this is a firm interested in making a fast buck at the expense of their clients, rather than wanting to be viewed as a professional organisation who are in for the long term. As a result their reputation is in sharp decline within the industry and they have lost a number of clients who have black-listed the firm from their supplier lists. The company also has an issue with a heavy drugs culture, which is generally ignored by senior management.

October 30, 2014Marketing Executive

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of working for us. As you know, recruitment is predominantly a phone based job, and much of the day to day client and candidate interactions will be over the phone, and some of this will include cold calling. External client meetings are always granted if the consultant feels it is necessary, and building on our existing client relationships is key to the service we provide as a business. Having a long term strategy is very important to us, and we have plans to significantly grow our superhub offices in 2015. We in no way condone drug taking and it is not a part of our culture.

"Wolf of Charlotte Street - Machiavellian environment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice offices, good location in town, strong brand, good earning potential, start work with 10/15 other graduates in similar position in life, some good looking ladies.

Cons

It is not a meritocratic environment, the business model is built on a pyramid scheme of hiring in cheap labour and working them hard under stressful conditions until they are sacked or leave. The reason for this is so the 'senior' members of the company can pick up the potentially profitable business leads for their own gain. The company thrives on displaying others weakness which is encapsulated by the 'senior' management parading those who did not score in a month with a donut and a song titled 'loser'. Each department are unhelpful, HR do not help the employees and listen when continually approached about grievances. Encouragement of a non 'speak out' culture, those in charge do not want to know how to improve the conditions of the staff. If you do, you will be sacked as do not fit the culture of SO. Likewise, the company do not adhere to their own grievance and disciplinary policy in the handbook, let alone to national law. The rewards which are spoken of are not reflective of the values of the deals. Especially in light of high retainers. How can a company grow so fast (employ so many people), open so many offices, post such record profits if they paid the employees fairly? Likewise, it would be advisable to ask about retention rates, I saw over 100 people sacked in an office of 80 seats within 6 months. If there was a framework for poor practice Spencer-Ogden would have written it. This is highlighted when we forced to dress-up as Wolf of Wall Street day...... Seriously what company does this? Shameful in all respects of management, leadership, honesty, fairness, and pay. Avoid at all costs, ask a rec to rec about the reputation of spencer-ogden and you will get a different story to the internal recruitment team, and the managers which will eventually manage you out of the business.

Continue reading

"Immature, bullying and lack of decent senior management"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool office and surroundings, astro turf floor. Good social life. Made some great friends who are also no longer working there. Bike in the office.

Cons

Senior management stomp around like giants, shouting, bullying and intimidating employees. Favouritism played out for everyone to see. Employee retention is AWFUL. Constant pressure which is fair but just ridiculous KPI's at times. Made bad for taking holiday of being ill! Leaving before 7pm was a no no! No room for young employees to grow if they hadn't done their first deal in less than 12 weeks. Otherwise you are gone. Most graduate academies only retained about 5 out of 10-15 candidates.

"Conveyor belt mentality"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good fun at times, good bonuses

Cons

Poor senior management, very unprofessional in how they treat employees and "clique".

10. "Happy to be here"

Current Employee - Support Team in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture! It is very progressive and challenges you to work smarter and be creative and rewards you for it.

Cons

When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues. Thats a breath of fresh air for those who are familiar with how the back office/support usually just have to deal and carry on.

March 11, 2019Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am glad you are enjoying the culture at SO

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.