Splash Damage Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Nov 16, 2020

Found 12 of over 98 reviews

3.6
Splash Damage Co-Founder and CEO Richard Jolly (no image)
Richard Jolly
Pros
  • "Good benefits and really nice people(in 10 reviews)

• "Free pastries on friday morning, free beer on friday evening(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Favouritism from senior management to certain other members of staff(in 11 reviews)

• "The studio is very dependent on work-for-hire projects, and has been like this for many years(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Probably the best game studio in the UK

Dec 11, 2016 - Kent in Bromley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A wide selection of games to work on. Super talented people to work with. A huge degree of senior management transparency. Many career progression opportunities. Massive amounts of creative freedom. Flexitime. Free parking. Quaterly company share payout. Free beers and pastries on Fridays. Crazy amount of staff parties. 10 weeks full paid paternity leave. Private health care. Free gym membership. Free fruit. Free soft drinks. Awesome free coffee machines. Life drawing classes. Free cinema trips. Lots of charity support and events. Did i mention the staff parties. There's so many. 😀

Cons

Core hours are 10am to 5.30pm. This can be hard to work around with people who commute an hour or more.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Rapidly improving

Nov 16, 2020 - Marketing in Bromley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The studio and senior management are incredibly open to feedback in a number of areas; from processes to benefits, from CSR to wellbeing, from D&I to projects and everything in between. There have been a lot of pain points in some of these areas in the past few years, but it feels like the studio has course-corrected and is heading in the right direction. The studio benefits are amazing, as you would expect from a studio of this size (though it could do a better job at communicating the benefits internally and externally) The future of the studio is very bright. Without going into detail there are some seriously exciting projects in the works. It's cheesy to say, but there are some seriously great people at the studio across all disciplines and departments and working with them is a joy.

Cons

Senior Management can often find it hard to let go, and want to get involved in things that they should be entrusting to other people - and this is across all aspects of the studio, not just the execution of projects. Pay for juniors is pretty low, though the studio has made an effort to improve pay across the board. The studio building itself could do with some love.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Frustrating and uncommunicative

May 14, 2020 - Designer in Bromley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Your peers on the dev team are likely to be some of the nicest people you're going to work with * Good benefits such as health and dental care

Cons

* It's difficult to be recognised by senior management unless you're part of the in-crowd * Pay is well below what should be expected for the work you're asked to do * 45 hour weeks are mandatory * Splash Damage cannot secure funding for own-IP games * Career development is subject to the project you happen to be on; if you're not on a big/successful project, expect your career to stagnate * Lack of communication and reasoning for decisions made, even seemingly minor queries go unanswered

20 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people and interesting projects

Mar 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Managers and studio leads have full trust in you and your ability to get the job done and thus are relatively hands off. Amazing culture and people. Flat hierarchy. Senior management and execs genuinely cares about you and your well being regardless of seniority. They will always make time to hear you out if needed. Relatively low crunch. Good company benefits. Don't do redundancies, but at the cost of lower than industry average salaries. Multiple projects at once, so tons of interesting things happening throughout the studio.

Cons

Studio is still trying to find its own identity. Unclear whether it wants to do its own games or work with others. It has built a reputation on doing a particular type of games but seems hesitant to go back to its roots. Pay is near identical for those in the same role so your performance and experience is mostly irrelevant. People can get away with barely doing any work at all and that's apparently fine. Each project have a few people that do the job of at least 5 others that the studio would not survive without. They spend a lot of time and money on initiatives that have nothing to do with making games, while its near impossible to get required hardware and software bought. Some support disciplines seems to be actively working against the dev teams and chasing their own agendas.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0

Poor management, great benefits

Nov 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits package including, free gym, pastries and drinks on a friday, multiple parties throughout the year, free soft drinks

Cons

Too many people not focussing on actually making games. Some of the leadership team are very poorly equipped for their positions. Some have been hired purely based on the "experience" on their CV but in reality, they don't really know what they're doing. Production are an afterthought at the studio. Creatives have way too much power over direction and process and it results in producers being blamed when things go wrong. Very poor pay for the south east of the country unless you're in a lead position (excluding qa lead). The studio has a tendency of biting off more than it can chew with projects. Some senior management are completely out of touch with the people on the ground. It's always nice to Rich coming round and talking to the developers but I felt some of the people he has around him aren't helping the studio. The company prides itself on its core values but then necessary action isn't taken against people that are completely against those very values. Instead they get promoted nto positions of power. Again, based on experience on their cv.

13 people found this review helpful

Senior Recruitment Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your detailed feedback, and we%E2%80%99re sorry that your experience during your time with us didn%E2%80%99t meet all of your expectations. With our recently completed and shipped title in the shape of Gears 5 (Microsoft%E2%80%99s biggest launch of any Xbox Games Studios title this generation), and upcoming release dates confirmed and slated for both Halo: Reach and Gears Tactics, we%E2%80%99re still very much in the business of making and releasing world class games! We%E2%80%99re a little confused about your comments regarding our team%E2%80%99s experience not being aligned with their ability to perform their roles. Any company in any industry will use experience as a benchmark for ability, so we%E2%80%99re not sure why this would be such an issue. One of the studio%E2%80%99s greatest strengths is our collected experience in developing world class titles, and we%E2%80%99re proud to have so many talented people bringing their knowledge and skills to bear on some of the biggest games in the world. In regards to our production processes, we certainly identified this as a challenge during our recent growth. As such we have brought numerous highly talented and experienced production staff to the studio, as well as promoting junior members of staff into suitable roles. We wish you every success in your future career and thank you for the contributions you made to the studio in your time with us.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Shocking

Oct 31, 2019 - QA Tester
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's close to home and pastries on a Friday

Cons

Shocking company to work for. Long hours Low pay No promotions The CEO has no idea of what he is doing Poor communication from senior management Low morale HR doesn't care about it's people I would give this no stars if i could.

16 people found this review helpful

Senior Recruitment Manager

We%E2%80%99re very disappointed to hear that you are not happy at Splash Damage. As an existing employee, we would urge you to raise your concerns via your line manager or through our internal feedback system so we can speak with you in person about the issues you have raised.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros & Cons

Jul 17, 2019 - Former Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Talented colleagues, diverse, friendly & good social events. Free beer, coffee & pastries!!

Cons

Poor, poor, poor salary. Considering this is a company that is London based the salary paid would be more entry level than senior/intermediate level. Career progression is on hold. Staff that were due to be promoted missed out. Low morale and staff leaving in droves. Favouritism from senior management to certain other members of staff. Lots of crunch and overtime but only given time off/hours back. Not much of a work/life balance with constant weekend working!

10 people found this review helpful

Senior Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your candid feedback. We%E2%80%99re pleased that you had the chance to be part of our talented team and experience many of our great benefits and awesome social events! As we%E2%80%99ve noted in previous responses, we work extremely hard to ensure that our salaries are competitive from location and industry perspectives. We regularly promote staff who have shown the qualities required to move into more senior positions, and our industry leading employee growth programme has been a huge success in allowing our staff to set and achieve their own professional goals. As with any company, we do experience attrition and sometimes members of staff will choose to pursue their careers elsewhere. Obviously we%E2%80%99d love for everyone to stay, but it%E2%80%99s a reality of any business that there will be staff turnover. Staff feedback is incredibly important to us, as it allows us to make changes and champion initiatives that are both meaningful to our teams and effective in maintaining morale. As such we regularly ask our staff to leave feedback and suggestions via our internal system. This allows anonymity and for us to recognise trends in what our staff are telling us, so we can take appropriate action. We are actively engaged in developing projects that we have creative control over, and this is something that we as a studio are very passionate about. However, our decision to work with partners such as Microsoft allows us access to globally recognised IP, strong revenue streams and the marketing might that only a platform holder can bring to the table. Whilst we won%E2%80%99t have the same level of ownership that our own IP would afford us, we still have significant control of how we interpret and deliver on projects with our partners. We sincerely hope that you took some value from your time as a Splasher, and we wish you the very best in your future career.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Basically an outsourcing studio for Microsoft with no vision for the future

Jul 16, 2019 - Senior Artist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice talented people that will always help you with anything you need . You never have to do overtime if you don't want to .

Cons

Horrible senior management - no clear idea of what games they want to make in the current moment or for the future . Internal projects are never ever with a goal and are never finished but instead are just dragged in time for years and then canceled . Horrible middle management is not being layed off and talented people leave because of that . Constant turnover of talent and valuable people leaving constantly . Instead of working on games the studio seems to be turning into an activist social point with no game development actually happening . Very low pay for an expensive city like London and no big difference in the pay between mid level and lead artists . No real responsibility taken by anyone no matter how bad a project is going .

16 people found this review helpful

Senior Recruitment Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback, and we%E2%80%99re glad you had the opportunity to experience the friendly environment here at Splash during your several years with the studio. With our recently completed and shipped title in the shape of Gears 5 (Microsoft%E2%80%99s biggest launch of any Xbox Games Studios title this generation), and upcoming release dates confirmed and slated for both Halo: Reach and Gears Tactics, we%E2%80%99re still very much in the business of making and releasing world class games! These are titles that resonate deeply with both games professionals and consumers alike, and we%E2%80%99re very proud of our work and ongoing contribution to games of this magnitude. Yes, we%E2%80%99re under no illusions that these are indeed Microsoft titles, but we have significant creative control and access to the vast resources that a partner like Microsoft can afford us. We do hope that you enjoyed some aspects of your time with us, and sincerely wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Talented people but mismanaged projects

Aug 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very strong artists. There is strong leadership here and a high quality bar that sadly sometimes got undermined because the tech side was under-resourced. Pretty strong programming team if a bit small. There are plenty of people you can learn a lot from here, not just in terms of knowledge but style/attitude, too. CEO is ambitious, not afraid to take risks to grow the business. This can make the company quite exciting to work at. CEO is also financially aware. Many studios in the UK fell under or had to beg for scraps as a result of the credit crunch but Splash Damage diversified and emerged relatively unscathed. While the studio does focus on multiplayer, it doesn't stick to doing the same thing over and over. Projects are varied, expect to tackle different genres within your career here. Senior management are very accomplished at building and maintaining strong studio-publisher relationships and generating high-profile business for the company. The Fireteam team and its tech are very strong assets considering the studio's multiplayer leanings, as are the in-house tools that have been built up over the years. The company culture is pretty good and there are plenty of opportunities for everyone to get together as a company. Teams give presentations on their projects and when this is happening regularly you feel well-informed on what's going on. Everyone is friendly and people regularly socialise inside and outside of work. While a bit distant from local amenities, the office is spacious and well appointed and will only continue to get better as time goes on. Central London is also only 30 minutes' away (10-minute walk, 20-minute train), so it's not out in the sticks like quite a few studios in the UK. Since I left, improvements have been made to employee remuneration, which was definitely a gripe of mine.

Cons

Certain projects undergo 'dead donkey flogging' without any regard to the impact this has on creatively-minded/motivated personnel. This means rather than everyone being able to celebrate their achievements together as a company, there is awkwardness and segregation between the projects. The company is quite top-heavy, leading to sluggish decision-making, 'foggy' ownership/accountability and impasses in career progression. Senior management had turned into a bit of an old boys' club, with very little accountability for failed projects and little visibility on their day-to-day activities, other than micromanaging inconsequential elements of a project. Some jaded game developers at the top end of the food chain have started to rest on their laurels because they've been burnt by crunch and underwhelming end products. Great game devs who are now 'lifers' because they're no longer being creatively challenged, just physically and mentally pressured to hit unrealistic deadlines. Lots of very progressive yet half-baked company cultural initiatives that aren't properly revisited, evaluated and nurtured to reach their full potential, e.g. 20% Time, Skills Matrix, Agile etc. These projects show promise of where SD could be if it were better managed. The CEO is incredibly distant from most employees, relying on an array of company-wide surveys to get feedback on how people are feeling. Only walks the dev floor if chaperoned by a visiting investor or publisher bigwig contingent. It's very difficult to feel in tune with a CEO who only ever talks at a crowd of you, and not to you on a personal level.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Has its issues

Apr 21, 2013 - Technical Artist in Bromley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good atmosphere between most employees. As an artist this is a real top notch company, standards are very high. They really are not satisfied with good enough, usually you're able to perform at your best. Senior management seems to take good business decisions, keeping the company financially healthy (as far as a mere employee can tell). If you have some experience, pay can be good as long as you ask for it. As a junior (artist), good company to get started since its not easy to get hired and will look good on your resume.

Cons

Unfortunately, the split into separate corporate entities (developer, publisher and online services) has made the company much less efficient. Senior management spend most of their time in meetings with each other and are very detached from the actual development, yet despite this, they still want to keep tight control over the game's direction. Very little communication from them, save for the at times almost irrelevant little requests trickling down. The result of senior members moving up in the ranks is that there are no proper replacements, projects can go without (lead) game designer, art director, creative director or any form of senior producer. Despite the company's long history, I feel they still don't properly understand what makes a great, fun game. This is obvious from things such as senior management never playing or seemingly even caring about the actual gameplay, internal presentations being mostly about impressing with visuals as well as external marketing mostly trying to keep up appearances. All in all so much effort goes into the visual side of things while the gameplay and creative side are limping behind. In terms of HR, things can go very slowly. A performance review system had only recently been implemented and is still in its infancy, working time is not tracked so overtime compensation is up to the management's best judgement.

6 people found this review helpful