Square Reviews

Updated 12 May 2021

4.3
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "Great work life balance is promised(in 55 reviews)

• "They offer great benefits for their employees while also helping them further in their career(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office(in 29 reviews)

• "Work life balance during busy seasons/days(in 25 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

The best place to work!

3 Dec 2020 - Account Executive in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everything!! You can tell this is a company that really cares, they are so big on work life balance it is so refreshing to see. Managers really care about your development and the progression path is clear and achievable. The culture is amazing, even from starting remotely I have felt so welcomed and a part of the company! The benefits are great, you find out new ones every week, they want to make sure you are at your best working ability and will help you in whatever way they can Not only is the company great but the product is just fantastic and a really fun sell, you really care about the merchants that use it and it is so fun spotting them when you are out and about

Cons

I cant think of any!!

Continue reading
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Zero Progression

19 Apr 2021 - Compliance Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great salary and wellness stipend . zero micro management .

Cons

non existent progression within the department unless you want to switch career path ( maybe sales ) . No room for growth . There is no accommodation for continuous learning . zero advancement, you become stagnant in your career. growth within the department might be easier if you based in the US . if you are someone who is comfortable with being paid a lot to do nothing then it might be the right job for you.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Flexible firm

16 Apr 2021 - Communications in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- good team - lots of diverse projects

Cons

- moved on due to lifestyle changes

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Company

18 Jan 2021 - Compliance Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great salary and amazing wellness benefits

Cons

Slow progression or nonexistent rate.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company that care about staff !!

16 Apr 2021 - Customer Success Advocate in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I love Square values : people oriented, transparency - Good work life balance - Management is accessible and supportive - Great perks (health insurance, work from home compensation) - Good equipment to perform while working from home (computer, monitor,...) I started this job remotely and even if I've never met my team members, I feel a strong team spirit. I've never felt alone during my onboarding, people are always keen to help.

Cons

Recruitment process was a bit long but they have already improved this. We miss team events but that's only because of COVID restrictions. Otherwise not much to say here. Thanks for caring about us !

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Above and Beyond!

13 Mar 2021 - Customer Success Advocate in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

- WFH kit is provided for free: laptop, 27" 4K monitor, headset and a $500 stipend to buy anything else you might need (desk, chair, etc) - Reimbursement for electricity and internet up to $125 a month - Wellness program that gives you $75/mo to spend on things like (running shoes, massage gun, etc) - Insane opportunity for growth (promoted to a new team w/ pay raise after 2 months) - 401K with 100% company match (to like $6k or something like that) - very good transparency within the company - I haven't been in the office yet, but I hear there are free snacks and drinks

Cons

Legit, there are none so far. Management is so supportive even from a WFH scenario during the pandemic.

12 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great Experience Overall

15 Apr 2021 - Customer Success Advocate in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company to work for Diverse Candidate Orientated Encouraged to Develop

Cons

The only Con I can think of was that the interview/decision process was longer than average. However, having gone through the process and being successful, I can understand why the process is set this way. It allows Square to have a non biased decision making process.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture; great mission; interesting work

2 Aug 2020 - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can't speak for other offices, but pay in Atlanta is top-of-market. Flexible culture. Work from home is going to be allowed permanently, even after the whole COVID situation is over. Flexible PTO. Extensive parental leave. Good balance in engineering culture between shipping features and paying down tech debt. I think this is an overlooked variable at many companies. At Square my experience is that careful consideration is paid to the decision between moving quickly to deliver vs taking time to go back and clean up old messes. Upward mobility. If you come in as a junior engineer, you don't have to look for another job after 2 years to find more responsibilities and commensurate compensation increase. Evaluation for promotion is built-in to the system, and pay increases for promo are considerable, not just token raises. Worthwhile mission. Square is a company that actually takes its mission of "economic empowerment" seriously. It's not just a payments company or a POS company. It's a company that works hard to deliver the products that small businesses need. Interesting work. Whatever you're interested in, Square is probably doing it. Nitty-gritty payments code, ML, cryptocurrency, front-end design and engineering, etc. Room for growth as a company. There's still lots of uncaptured opportunity out there for Square, and the business is actively seeking it out.

Cons

Promotion process is kind of drawn-out and opaque. You work with your manager to put together a promo packet, but then don't hear anything back for at least several weeks. Company culture is fairly homogenous politically. Some people are outspoken about their political beliefs, but it would probably be somewhat uncomfortable for someone who isn't at least moderately liberal to voice their beliefs. Not many cons. I plan to be at Square for the long-haul.

13 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

New leadership changes are exciting

11 May 2021 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some teams are really cool to work with - Good cross-functional opportunities - Diverse

Cons

- Some leaders are petty - HR is an absolute mess, incompetence

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

12 May 2021 - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of great resources and nice team mates

Cons

Too many EAs; very micromanagerial

Viewing 1 - 10 of 696 Reviews