St. James's Place Wealth Management Employee Reviews about "sjp"

Updated 3 Aug 2020

4.4
St. James's Place Wealth Management Chief Executive Andrew Croft
Andrew Croft
Pros
  • "One thing I was particularly impressed by was the company's emphasis on a work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "I worked at SJP for 3 years and was always made to feel very welcome(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "these are not reflective of work at SJP only, but rather industry wide(in 11 reviews)

• "Outdated IT system in head office(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "sjp"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Intern - Intern in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

Welcoming and open culture where the desire to improve the individual is at the fore. Moreover, everyone always has the time for you no matter where they sit within the company. In addition to this, the employees are driven and inspiring. Furthermore, for the short duration of my time at SJP the work life balance was great. Also, there is a great sense of interconnectedness of the business where many departments are interdependent. This is good as I was exposed to many different people and areas of SJP.

Cons

The location of the head office.

2. "Special Culture and Brilliant People"

4.0
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Cirencester, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at SJP for 3 years and was always made to feel very welcome. The team I worked in felt like a family and they were always willing to help each other out. The work-life balance was really good, certainly from my own experience anyway. My manager was happy for me to flex my hours to fit in appointments - which I greatly appreciated - and I very rarely had to stay late and never worked a weekend. This might vary between departments, but the company overall regularly encouraged a good work-life balance. The Charitable Foundation blows other companies out of the water. The amount of employees that give their time and money to help people less fortunate than themselves is a really core part of the company culture. Managers and Senior directors are all very supportive and encourage Foundation events. The pension is absolutely fantastic, the annual bonus is pretty generous too (although is partly determined by whether the company hits their targets for the year)

Cons

The only major downside for me was the job itself. I found the work frustrating and repetitive. A major downside that didn't affect me was the lack of car parking in Cirencester. Thankfully I walked to work, but if you don't live in the town there's no way of getting there on public transport and you have to arrive before 8am to get a parking space.

St. James's Place Wealth Management Response

July 21, 2020Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are proud of our culture and we are pleased your experience has been so positive. In terms of your constructive feedback we will pass that on to the team and see what we can do for the future.

"Old Fashioned Culture"

Former Employee - Paraplanner in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is very technical support provided and training workshops and exam materials are very good. The people are generally helpful and nice. Work/life balance was good. Can provide a good entry point to the financial services industry.

Cons

This is a very old fashioned company with an outdated culture. The advisers are essentially salesmen and receive a commission for products sold,(advisers have selected products for clients based on the commission they will receive) The knowledge of some advisers was worryingly poor. Advisers manipulate performance shown to clients. Many advisers are grossly overpaid. Many advisers are unprofessional. Service/product sold to clients were often not in the client's best interest, better options for the client outside of SJP. There is no human resources or regulation of adviser's activities on a day to day basis. The adviser is free to do what they want and treat their employees as they like. There is no disciplinary procedure as advisers are self-employed. Internal IT systems are poor. Teamwork between practices is discouraged. Pay is generally under market rate Progression is limited for those not wanting to be advisers Non-advisers have to pay to attend training that is free for advisers.

Continue reading

"Fantastic at getting you through the door, terrible when you're in."

2.0
    Former Employee - Partner in Manchester, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time

Pros

Training workshops are brilliant. Systems and processes are good and the business has a fairly good reputation in the market place. SJP certainly looks and feels the part.

Cons

Before you're in, you're promised that SJP is everything you could hope for with endless support, good earnings potential and innovative thinking. When you're in, you're just another number, barely contacted by your so called manager and you have no idea whether what you're doing is right or wrong. If you read other partner reviews, most elude to broken promises. Support is very much aimed at the people who have been in SJP for long periods and have larger clients banks (who don't want the support) and new people are ignored and told to 'sponsor bowls clubs'. Really underwhelming .

"Cowboys"

1.0
    Business Manager in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management

Pros

Good marketing operation and expensive looking brochures.

Cons

SJP drive a coach & horses through FCA and RDR requirements, using a quasi-commission based "fee" structure. This leads to miss selling and poor practice, which is swept under the carpet as long as the Partner is a profitable business producer. Some Partners earn in excess of £250,000 PA , employ a paraplanner on 30K to do all the hard work, and swan around on the golf course most of the week. Partners often treat any compliance intervention with contempt, and are supported by the business in doing so.

"SJP Assistant Adviser"

4.0
    Current Employee - Financial Adviser Assistant in London, England

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lot of support from SJP, advisers. - Great back office and support from SJP

Cons

- Not great pay before becoming licenced

7. "Progressive organisation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Potential to earn good money if you are support staff and varied roles with your allocated Financial Advisor. Can be great benefits.

Cons

Its an umbrella organisation, so St. James's Place (SJP) sometimes acts as a proxy employer to the support staff of the Financial Advisor and it causes many problems between you and your employer. Sometimes place too much emphasis on achieving targets than maintaining quality.

Continue reading
  8. "Those who work hard will be rewarded"

Marketing Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

There is a really great opportunity for progression into higher roles at a fast rate if you work really hard.

Cons

The system in place means that you have to pay a large percentage to SJP out of everything you take in.

Continue reading
  9. "Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time

Pros

Massive learning curve Great leadership Great benefit structure Corporate culture of putting clients first

Cons

Highly competitive industry Client acquisition is tough (these are not reflective of work at SJP only, but rather industry wide.)

10. "Exceptional company to build a WM practice with"

Former Employee - Associate Partner in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* The proposition really works for clients, and solves a lot of problems your competitors cant. Happy clients means long-term clients, which is great for everyone. * Real wealth management solutions, not "investment sales". Exceptional technical support and development. This means you can take the role as a consultant, and be far more valuable to clients than many of your competitors. * A business model, that works for clients, you and the company, in terms of renumeration and other aspects. * Support to get off the ground, so that you can focus on opening quality relationships, not closing deals. * All the usual perks of running your own business, in terms of freedom, flexibility and income * I was able to do a Business Sale and Purchase when I wanted to leave Asia for personal reasons. This was a massive benefit for me, and also worked for clients and the colleague that took over. They have the succession model figured out for everyone, and that is very important in this business. Overall, coming from the typical "offshore advisory" firm, the kind of which you have an endless array of in Asia, moving to SJP was a transformative upgrade, and I couldn't be happier with how it all worked out, in every single way. It is by far the best job decision I ever made.

Cons

* SJP Asia is new vs SJP UK, and as an Asia Partner you find yourself wishing that we had as developed of a proposition as in the UK. * When you work for SJP, you get how massively different the company is from much of the competition. However, prospective clients might not know this until they sit down with both.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews