St John Ambulance Reviews

Updated 28 Jul 2020

3.5
St John Ambulance Chief Executive Martin Houghton-Brown    (no image)
Martin Houghton-Brown
Pros
  • "If you need direction in your life or just enjoy first aid type stuff they can help you(in 18 reviews)

• "Some great people who really believe in the cause - that first aid helps save lives(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a charity means sometimes finances are tight(in 13 reviews)

• "Senior Management have a huge bias towards volunteers and seem to forget that paid staff are an equally important cog in the wheel(in 10 reviews)

1. "St John Ambulance"

Current Employee - Regional Facilities Coordinator in Birmingham, England

I have been working at St John Ambulance full-time

Pros

Whatever team your on its nit hard to find people who genuinely want to provide a brilliant service to our communities

Cons

Being a charity means sometimes finances are tight

2. "The Best"

Current Employee - Buyer in London, England

I have been working at St John Ambulance full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly, caring, proactive management team - Easy communication and ways of working as an organisation - All other teams friendly, considerate and a joy to collaborate with - Brilliant training and development for new starters - Warm office environment - Great work/life balance

Cons

Only improvement would be need more seating / communal areas for lunch

3. "Fantastic and very welcoming"

5.0
    Current Employee - Volunteer District Human Resources Lead in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at St John Ambulance part-time

Pros

Great family feel Plenty of variety They do great work

Cons

There are no cons to this organisation

4. "Adequate"

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England

I worked at St John Ambulance full-time

Pros

Good working environment and colleague relationships

Cons

Too many company politics, lack of management

5. "Invested people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Verification and Standards in London, England

I have been working at St John Ambulance full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are generally great and try their best

Cons

Needs to invest in IT systems to be efficient.

6. "Great Organisation."

Current Employee - First Aider in York, England

I have been working at St John Ambulance part-time

Pros

Go above and beyond to make colleagues feel well supported in all that they do. Opportunities to Progress available

Cons

Have nothing bad to say

"An initially fantastic job ruined down the line by awful Management and lack of communication"

1.0
    Former Employee - Event Administrator in Brighton, England

I worked at St John Ambulance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: 1. I found that working with volunteers was a pleasure. They are some of the most incredible and dedicated humans I have ever dealt with. 2. Lovely peers, both volunteers and paid staff. The other Events Administrators I worked with in the Brighton Hub (bar one toxic member of staff) were exceptional and there was a real sense of teamwork. I have been lucky enough to gain friendships outside of work. 3. The charity’s mission is one that I genuinely believe in. 4. A decent selection of discounts offered through employment. Restaurant discounts, Cinema deals, Gym discounts, Head Space subscription etc.

Cons

1. No incentive (financial or otherwise) from Senior Leadership to excel at your job. You'd have better luck winning the lottery then getting a pay rise despite going above and beyond your job role and surpassing Performance Review objectives. My Line Manager admitted to me within a Performance Review that despite having no room for improvement, a pay rise was non-negotiable and her hands were tied. This was due to the company's ridiculous policy of a 2% pay increase across the entire organisation, rather than basing anything on performance, as it should be. As a result, employees who were brilliant at their jobs and knew the charity inside and out would leave because their blood, sweat and tears were going unnoticed and unrewarded. This happened over and over again. On the flip side, the toxic colleague I mentioned was utterly incompetent at their job, yet they received the same pay rise as everyone else. 2. Corrupt members of Senior Management and lack of communication. The Line Manager I had worked with for most of my role and respected immensely eventually left because of the myriad of problems (mostly detailed in this review). The Manager she was replaced with had been in another part of the organisation and it became clear they had “jumped ship” because of the dire opinion their immediate peers had of them, as well as the fact that there had been investigations into said person’s conduct. When a member of staff’s conduct is under review and they apply for another position in the same company, maybe don’t accept their application….? Add to this an overarching lack of communication and respect from Senior Management who often forgot my team existed, failing to copy us into pivotal internal comms. It’s ironic that one of the core ‘values’ of St John Ambulance is communication, when these people honestly couldn’t communicate with a wet paper bag. 3. Endless restructures within the organisation. My team were notified just before Christmas 2019 that our jobs were at risk and the way the consultation period was handled was nothing less than shocking. A bomb-shell was dropped on us during a meeting and then we were just… left. 1-2-1s are standard and important part of a Consultation and HR were shocked to say the least when a number of us reported that we’d had to chase management to schedule these in. 4. Through these restructures I also saw talented people who had given a lot of years to the organisation treated with complete disregard. The way colleague who had been in the organisation for over 15 years and had been off on long-term sickness due to a severe medical emergency was treated is shocking. Which brings me to point out that the “HEART” (Humanity, Excellent, Accountability, Responsive, Teamwork) values the charity constantly bleats on about to prospective members of staff are an utter joke. In the fact that these are great values to have, but it’s a shame that the behaviours of the charity as an employee are hypocritical of these. Such as a disregard of employees’ mental wellbeing from the way they are treated and blame-culture, management trying to pass the buck rather than taking “accountability” for their own mistakes. 5. Senior Management have a huge bias towards volunteers and seem to forget that paid staff are an equally important cog in the wheel. There’s no doubt about the fact that that without volunteers’ time and dedication the charity would not be able to function. However, some were given free reign to do what they wanted and go against event processes (set in place for the safety of all involved in running the event) with little repercussions. There are many other reasons I would flag up St John Ambulance as an employer to prospective staff, but these are the main ones.

Continue reading

"Not a company for ambitious people"

2.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in London, England

I have been working at St John Ambulance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable environment, people are nice. It's the right place for you if you want a quiet 9 to 5 office job and get paid in the end of the month,

Cons

If you're ambitious and want to progress fast, don't go there! Management doesn't add any value to your work, you'll basically get paid a marketing assistant salary to do senior level work and get supervised by someone who lacks important knowledge and has no idea how to do your job. Lack of coordination between departments creates communication issues and impacts on revenue and company success. Low salary and no company benefits.

"Constantly up and down emotional rollercoaster"

2.0
    Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at St John Ambulance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some lovely people, the job itself is rewarding

Cons

Lots of power hungry people who use power against people. Buildings are old and falling apart, and don't even get me started on the poor pay. Would love to see where the money actually goes from courses as in the past 5 years i've been here I couldn't tell you anything i've seen other than cutting back on spending rather than improving.

Continue reading

"Inspiring but employees are devalued with too many changes"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at St John Ambulance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of experience, work with dedicated volunteers and employees, flexible working around locations, travel,

Cons

Lots of travel and long hours, constantly restructuring with low level of supporting existing employees into new roles

Found 94 reviews