Standard Media Index Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2021

Found 38 of over 43 reviews

3.8
Standard Media Index CEO James Fennessy (no image)
James Fennessy
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work Environment

Apr 29, 2021 - Business Operations Specialist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fully international staff made for some very entertaining workdays

Cons

Getting repairs done in the building was often a hassle.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great team and environment, fast turnover

Mar 29, 2021 - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-great team and work environment -accessible mangers and supervisors

Cons

-low pay -little room for growth

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Company with a Bright Future

Jul 14, 2020 - Client Services in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A collection of the smartest people in the industry - Strong client list and great way to build connections - Engaged leadership, who push you to excel - Great WFH and Benefits package (Happy Hours, Workout classes, etc) - Strong future ahead of them with expanding markets - Leaders in the data market place and growing fast - extremely flexible management

Cons

- very few cons - internal processes need development - but being addressed

4. 5.0

media sales

Oct 8, 2020 - Business Development in Ciudad de Mexico
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment. I have a really good team

Cons

I don't have cons. I learned a lot

5. 5.0

Great company!

Jul 14, 2020 - Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast-growing start-up with dynamic team and great culture/work environment.

Cons

I started earlier this year and have absolutely no complaints.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Interview & Onboarding was Swift, Thorough, and Honest

Oct 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the smartest, passionate, and most thoughtful people i've ever met, with unparalleled amounts of industry knowledge. The environment is collegial, and hard work doesn't go unnoticed here.

Cons

None so far. Everyone is expected to pull their weight here, regardless of title or role.

CEO

Thanks for the great feedback around our hiring process, the team is really passionate about finding the best fit between candidates and the SMI culture. We are proud of the team we have built and are excited at expanding in '20.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. Some of the best people I have worked with, amazing culture!

Apr 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Awesome people to work with - Tons of room for growth - Lots of autonomy - Well compensated for your efforts - Transparent top down culture - Very good leadership (special mention to CEO - very approachable) - Great benefits - Snacks, Happy Hours, 401k etc.

Cons

- Lack of enough flexibility in work schedule (i.e. working from home etc)

CEO

Great feedback and we are proud of the opportunities and responsibility we give all team members. We have brought in more flexible work from home policies recently which we hope addresses your point above.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Interesting experience

Dec 2, 2019 - Sales in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative product, very worthwhile colleagues.

Cons

Conference rooms were named after Game of Thrones locations.

CEO

Thanks for your feedback and for noting the strength of our team and the game changing products they are bringing to market. As one of our big areas of focus is the TV market the conference room names came out of a competition!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Always Challenging, Always Rewarding

May 29, 2014 - Data Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Give and you will get back. Senior Management are highly experienced and successful professionals that will expect you to give them your best effort. In exchange you will receive their gratitude, appreciation, and compensation at the salary and career levels. Trust is placed in employees and SMI provides the opportunity to interact with middle and upper management at media buying agencies, media owners and financial companies. The learning potential across of all areas of the advertising industry has no limits. Work and personal life are well balanced. There are workload peaks as in any company providing services to highly demanding, large corporations, but these are always compensated with additional time-off or cash bonuses. Above all, I would stand out the personal and professional quality of the team at SMI. A highly entrepreneurial and collegiate environment where all voices are heard. Difficult to find a mediocre worker around you. Overall, the most rewarding professional experience of my career so far.

Cons

If you are looking for a 9 to 5 job to cover the basics and no further involvement, this might not be the place for you.

10. 5.0

Great startup

May 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The factors that make this company most intriguing for me to work at have both pros and cons. Working here requires taking initiative and being able to handle projects with little supervision. Personally, I find that kind of work environment exciting and rewarding when my goals succeed. That can be stressful at times, however, when I'm unsure of something and that was especially so when starting out. Things change pretty rapidly, and new projects are frequently being introduced. As a result, my day-to-day is always different and keeps me on my toes. The downside to the fast-paced nature of the company is that people can be let go as the company’s priorities change. Seeing how abrupt that can be is unnerving. That said, a lack of job security is typical for a startup. I almost turned down the job due to the reviews on this site, but I'm very glad I didn't. The reviews here are old, and the management has made changes to improve the culture and leadership. The current CEO works to cultivate a team dynamic and is highly respected in the industry. No job is ever perfect, but I really like working here.

Cons

See above for both pros and cons

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews