Starling Bank Reviews

Updated 23 Jun 2020

3.9
Starling Bank CEO Anne Boden
Anne Boden
Pros
  • "Great office location and company breakfast on Fridays(in 13 reviews)

• "Working at Starling as a software engineer is a constant learning experience(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "None, Starling Bank is a great place to work(in 8 reviews)

• "gt; Senior management did not acknowledge myself leaving or ask why etc and failed to say goodbye/good luck(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting and challenging place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Starling as a software engineer is a constant learning experience. Expect to be flexible and happy to get stuck in wherever your work is needed - this can be a very different way of working if you're not used to it. Starling's growing very quickly, so there are always a lot of new people and early on you can feel lost - but the key is to ask questions. Other perks: - Excellent technology (Well architected, extensive automated testing, short release cycle, good CI/CD) - Flexible-ish working hours (i.e. nobody cares when you come/leave, as long as you're doing good work - and make it to stand-up) - Ability to work from home occasionally when you need to - Free breakfast on Fridays - Most people are very enthusiastic about Starling - Ability to talk to senior people and get big things done, quickly. - People are very friendly and do things together e.g. Thursday pie, Friday drinks, biscuit club

Cons

If you are used to having a huge amount of structure and formality Starling is probably not the place for you. Largely you get to decide what projects are important for you to be working on. However, with great power comes great responsibility - you need to be okay being held accountable for your changes and for getting stuff do you say you will. The onboarding experience for new engineers isn't perfect, but it's currently undergoing significant improvements.

August 23, 2019People Operations Business Partner

Thanks very much for your review. We are so glad to hear you find your work at Starling fulfilling. We are very proud of our employees and the impact you make every day to drive our business forward. As you mentioned, we are working to ensure our onboarding process continues to improve so all employees are set up for success.

2. "Great place"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment, great people to be around

Cons

None, love every day I work there

June 26, 2020People Team

Thank you for leaving a review. We are really glad you are loving life at Starling, long may this continue!

3. "Fast paced and enthusiastic"

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very positive and enthusiastic environment to work. Everyone is very suportive. The company has a very good culture which spreads from the top.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about Starling at this stage

June 26, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience with us.

4. "Customer Service Agent"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at Starling Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment Great people Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Management is unreliable and messy Scheduling isn't great

June 26, 2020People Team

Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you are having a positive experience at Starling. Feedback is really important to us. If you want to share any specific concerns you have around management or the scheduling process then please email us at people@starlingbank.com or speak to your team lead.

5. "Good workplace"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Feel very comfortable and welcomed

Cons

Pay for parking- salary differs

June 19, 2020People Team

Thank you for leaving a review. We are really glad to hear that you are having a positive experience with us. Due to our town centre location on site parking is not available but public transport links are readily accessible, if you have any worries about this please do contact your manager or People Partner.

6. "Such a vibrant and positive atmosphere"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Southampton, England

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Treated like adults. Trusted. Engaged. Considered. Your opinion matters. Feel like you are a part of something special. Empowered. Supported. Valued. Even the CEO will come and visit and spend time talking to you, understanding your personal life, how you feel in your role and will ASK YOU FOR FEEDBACK. She is inspirational as is ALL senior management. My line manager values me, empowers me and supports me. My interview was like something from the future. My job? Ahh... this is the BEST PART! It’s to “Look after, motivate and take care of my staff” truly magnificent place to work. The culture is genuinely the most important part of this company. Truly customer and employee centric. I’ve lost count of the times senior management have reached out to me to motivate, empower and ASK for my opinions and ideas.

Cons

You have to pay to park.

June 19, 2020People Team

Thank you for leaving a review. We are really happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Starling and that you feel empowered and valued in your role. At our Southampton office, the number of on-site car parking spaces are limited. However, there is reasonably priced parking in various places in close proximity to the office, one being at West Quay. We won't change!

"Awful"

1.0
    Current Employee - Business Manager in London, England

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product is good, it's a great industry to be in. The average lifespan of someone at Starling is around a year, turnover is huge - if you grit your teeth and bare it you might manage!

Cons

Every single member of the board and exec team are from the exact same background of white middle class. Starling pretends to promote diversity by hiring a more diverse workforce, but this is almost entirely at customer support level, not in any senior positions - take one look at the board and exec and it says it all. Growing from a small workforce of c300 to over 1000 in a about a year, Starling has not coped with the growth in any way shape or form. There is both a huge lack of strategy and structure, whilst also absolutely no trust or autonomy given to employees, even right down to the CEO having to pre-approve every single expense including a client coffee. With over 1000 employees, it is unsustainable. Starling has an interesting take on welfare. Whilst it promotes the benefits for working there, it neglects to tell any staff of the way it is forcing out it's staff, taking away free breakfasts, deliveroo, Friday drinks. Understandably the focus is on becoming profitable, but perhaps communicate this to staff as opposed to turning it into a sweat shop, removing any benefits, and trying to push people out. Once the Cardiff and Southampton offices opened, Starling have done their best to make the London office a very undesirable place to work. The business / banking team have little to no business acumen. No-body, not even the Chief Banking Officer knows who manages each teams individual P&L. There are no KPI's for the sales teams, no way of tracking any type of performance, yet on a weekly basis we see peoples Slacks being deactivated as they're let go with no warnings. How can any of us have any type of job security when people disappear for not hitting targets that don't even exist? The marketing team do a good job, they have metrics which quantifies their performance, which then puts pressure on the Chief Banking Officer's team who cannot show if or how they are bringing in any customers, yet there is still this huge resilience to invest anything in a CRM, or any type of tracking, it is absurd. Nowhere will you be treated with such disrespect, disregard for any of your experience, and made to feel small. The hierarchy and bureaucracy is like nothing else. To speak to a different team, engineering for example, you must speak to your manager, who will raise it with their manager to raise to the exec. The exec will then speak to CTO and allegedly will then allocate someone to help with a request / question. This could be resolved with a 5 minute question or conversation. You can tell within the first week of being there that it just is not a happy place. People do not have positive things to say about it, the exec don't treat people with respect, you won't be listened to. Be warned - there was a period of time that the glassdoor reviews were so bad that PR team were asking people to put in positive reviews. Please please, don't get enticed in by the brand, put yourself, your happiness, and your mental health first. It is not worth it.

July 2, 2020People Business Partner - Technology

We appreciate your feedback, but we don't feel this is a fair review, there are areas that we strongly disagree with and we feel it is misleading. In some cases it's the lack of clarification as to why, (for example we stopped free breakfasts on Fridays because of the pandemic), and others we dispute entirely (e.g the CBO not knowing their P&L, lack of strategy and trust, or the way that 'hierarchy' and speaking to different teams has been described, all of which we contest as being untrue). It is clear that you are unhappy in your current role. We strongly encourage you to reach out to your People Partner to discuss this further.

"AVOID KYC AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ROLES"

1.0
    Former Employee - KYC Analyst in London, England

I worked at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free soft drinks and breakfast on Fridays to compensate for the awful shift patterns

Cons

My role was falsely advertised as a KYC/KYB Analyst. WARNING- This is NOT a KYC role. This is a customer service/administration-based role processing applications. FURTHER WARNING: If the role is within ‘KYC’ or Customer Services which includes the telephony team YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO WORK MOST WEEKENDS. PLEASE HEED MY WARNING THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION. The fact this isn’t discussed during the interview process is almost fraudulent. I really hope the company suffers good karma. FCA please take note, Starling Bank are a TOY bank and do not have satisfactory KYC/AML framework in place and onboard nearly all accounts. I really hope you make an example of them.

June 18, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry you had a disappointing experience. As a 24/7 bank, we do require our employees to work shifts outside of core hours. This is outlined in the job description, discussed at the interview stage and part of the contract which you agree to and sign. Since we are lucky to have such a large team, our employees also benefit from the ability to shift swap to accommodate personal responsibilities. We are a customer-focused business and so many of our employees, particularly in Know your Customer and Know Your Business roles, interact directly with customers as a routine part of their role. Training and support for this is provided.

9. "Great team at starling"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

team collaboration, a lot of interesting projects

Cons

There is sometimes a lack of structure in terms of schedules

April 24, 2020People Team

It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and that you have been involved in a lot of exciting projects. As we scale structure needs to move with it too, so we are constantly looking at ways to improve this and ensure our teams are set up for success.

10. "revolutionary bank"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at Starling Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent team job perks good location good benefits

Cons

progression pay reviews still an early company so you may not use all your skills hard to move teams within the company

April 24, 2020People Team

Thanks for leaving a review! We understand career progression is important and we are always looking at ways to support our employees with their development goals. Why not reach out to speak with your manager or your People Business Partner about your strengths and career aspirations?

Found 75 reviews