Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews

Found 529 reviews

2.7
Eva Moskowitz
Pros
  • "Very rewarding work with a lot of professional development(in 54 reviews)

• "Strong connections are built with other staff members through hard work(in 25 reviews)

"Not for the weak"

Former Employee - Middle School Lead Science Teacher

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with amazingly passionate people. 401k Matching is great. Career progression and movement is available for those who work hard. Unlimited resources - Incredible amount of supplies (a teacher's dream). Everyday feels purposeful. Easy to get out of bed to do a hard job when you know how important your work is.

Cons

Science curriculum and school systems are always changing. Schools are focussed on "norms" but things are always changing to it feels like you're always doing something wrong. A lot of personal time (weekends) spent on work logistics. When one person on the team is sick, the school really suffers due to lack of substitute teachers. Culture of shaming. People are put on blast for missing deadlines, same is done to children....

Advice to Management

Consider having substitute teachers. It puts a lot of pressure on new teachers to be successful when they may need to take personal time off to take care of their health. It becomes an unhealthy spiral when teachers are so success oriented that they fear becoming sick and missing a day of instruction. This may be a long shot request due to the constant need for new teachers but I do believe that having substitutes will...

2. "Okay"

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The benefits are really good. The children are delightful and my coworkers were awesome. I honestly had a great time working at SA. I had no real complaints until my boss changed.

Cons

The hours are really long. SA has these monthly audits to determine how well you and your team are running the school. Its pretty stressful , and your end of year bonus are based off of this.

Advice to Management

Please hire BOMs that are open minded and are willing to compromise. Our jobs are very stressful, with many fires. Please have the BOM's be flexible and be opened to taking on minor roles even if its beneath them. Please be conscience of a work life balance. There was days when I worked 12 -14 hours and got no thanks for it. There was days when I would go without eating or using the bathroom due to the amount of work...

3. "SA helped me become an excellent teacher"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Strong professional development, excellent support from leadership teams, lots of opportunities for advancement, great curriculum, culture of winning, and last, but certainly not least, the kids and families are wonderful

Cons

Long hours (it's an extended day school), there can be some pressure to attain great results for kids, and work-life balance can be a struggle

Advice to Management

Always encourage teachers to fight for their kids' development (academically and emotionally) and base everything we're asked to do in this

4. "Making a difference"

• Overall

Pros

Work here if you truly want to make a difference. You will be surrounded by people who are not only smart and passionate but are the best at what they do. You are constantly being challenged and invigorated by the sense of fulfillment at the end of each day. It's a teamwork driven workplace.

Cons

Long hours. Sometimes the force of the mission is lost because of the long days.

Advice to Management

Training on time management

5. "good overall"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities to grow , fast paced environment

Cons

Not the most sustainable career, convoluted structures

6. "A fast-paced company with an amazing mission"

• Overall

Pros

Working at SA is extremely rewarding. The working environment is friendly and productive.

Cons

It is sometimes a struggle to find a work/life balance. Because are our organization is one of the hardest working in the education sector and we have 17k students, many projects are urgent, but well worth the work and extremely fulfilling.

Advice to Management

I think each team at network should spend time in a school at least 2 times a year. Seeing the scholars at school and in their environment really helps employees see what all their hard work is for.

7. "amazing"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

great work love what I do

Cons

none that I can think of

• "Success Gives You Top Notch Experience"

Former Employee - Principal in Bronx, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

It is an amazing experience. You learn so much that will help you up to lead any organization.

Cons

The demands are high and expectations are tuff.

"If you want to make a difference in a child's life, SA is the place for you!"

Current Employee - 4th Grade ICT Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

-Professional Development is provided throughout the school year and in the summer so you are always getting better as a teacher -Leaders are constantly in and out of classrooms providing in the moment feedback to help you improve your trade -Materials are supplied for you (this was a huge PRO after coming from a public school where all of my supplies were purchased using my own meager paycheck) -The Education Institute...

Cons

-This job is not easy, but how can a job that yields such positive results be easy? You have to be in it for the right reason. -Sometimes it is hard to avoid taking home work, both physical work and the mental stress of the work. I found this to be the case in my 3 years of teaching prior to coming to Success, unfortunately, I believe it is simply part of the profession.

"Excellent Professional Development"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Excellent Professional Development for teachers and leaders. People are passionate to get excellent results by not low balling kids from the Bronx, or BK etc. The job is important but worth it.

Cons

The job is high stakes, important, and taxing.

Found 529 reviews