Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Success Academy Charter Schools Reviews

Updated 13 Nov 2019

3.4
Success Academy Charter Schools CEO Eva Moskowitz  (no image)
Eva Moskowitz

"Outstanding teacher and staff development!"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Success Academy was my first teaching job out of my masters program and I am so grateful for this. The professional development you find at success is truly hard to come by. It is here that I learned more about teaching than I have throughout my undergraduate and masters degree because of the level of development Success puts into each and every teacher. Leadership is always in your classroom giving you... actionable feedback and leading you through purposeful and rich professional development sessions. You are constantly asked what your goals are and how they can best support you in achieving them. It is not an easy job. It requires grit and passion - but it is by far the most rewarding job I have ever had. I have now been with Success for 8 years and have developed into an Assistant Principal role. What I love most is that my development hasn't stopped. I am constantly supported in how I could be better. It is a job where I never feel stuck in a routine or bored. I feel challenged every day and absolutely love it. Whether you are fresh out of school or are looking to further your development, I highly recommend giving Success a try.

Cons

It isn't an easy job and they are looking for highly motivated individuals. However, it is a job that is hard to pass up when you consider the development you will receive and the impact you can have.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-23

"Rewarding work with continuous opportunities to grow and develop"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Success Academy students and families are wonderful. At SA, you get to work with dedicated families and curious children who partner with us everyday to reverse the achievement gap. While the students and their families are the primary factor that keeps me coming back year after year, there are plenty of other pros to working at Success Academy. As a teacher, your lesson plans and units are created for you by the... curriculum team at the Network office. This gives you the time to really study the units and content to make sure you understand it at a deep level to be able to teach the material to children. With that being said, the lessons are by no means scripts that you are mandated to follow. You have the resources provided to you, but also have the freedom to adjust the lesson plans as you see fit to best serve the needs of your students. Additionally, whether you are a teacher or leader, you are consistently getting feedback from your manager to improve your practice and help with your development. This organization provides amazing opportunities to impact the lives of students in NYC while also growing and developing as a professional.

Cons

For some people, it can be an adjustment to get constant feedback everyday. Leaders are often in classrooms observing to help improve the practice of our teachers, which can be a change for teachers who come from other public schools. However, this feedback is all in the interest of improving the classroom experience for our scholars and helping to push them to be their best. Additionally, in the beginning it can be... challenging not to bring work home. As time goes on though, teachers are able to manage their time during the day and minimize the amount of work that they bring home. In my last 2 years teaching before I became an Assistant Principal I rarely brought work home with me because I was able to use my prep time well during the day.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-22
  3. "Great Place to Work and Learn"

Current Employee - Second Grade Teacher At Harlem IV

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Strong sense of community amongst teachers and staff -Friendly and welcoming employees -Approachable leadership -Helpful leadership that provides real-time feedback to improve your practice -Talented educators who strive to provide the best learning environment for all children -Ample resources for teaching -Strong special education services offered -Ability for self-improvement through professional... development trainings -Competitive pay -Generous health insurance

Cons

-The job takes a lot of hard work and time management is necessary to be successful.

4. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to the Principal in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Success Academy has been Great. I have a leader that cares about the growth of every scholar and adult staff in the building. While working here I have been provided with the proper training and guidance to grow in my position.

Cons

No cons for me.

Advice to Management

Provide more tools for staff on organization and on work/life balance. I believe arming people with that knowledge will help make the adjustment to Success Academy better.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-20
  5. "Great Community at Rosedale"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Rosedale, NY

Pros

Great community of people who want to do right by their kids. My co-workers have become some of my closest friends and we work together every day to provide an amazing education for our kids. The job isn't easy and you will always be pushed to do better because our kids deserve the absolute best. Leadership is very supportive and will always help and give advice when needed. You have two preps a day to get all your... planning done. Some preps may be taken for meetings at times but leadership makes a conscious effort to only take a prep if it is absolutely necessary so teachers have as much planning time as possible. Success supplies all materials for teachers and that is more helpful than you can imagine. Also, we are provided with amazing class libraries that have made my kids over the years love reading.

Cons

There is a lot of work that goes into the job. You have to be intellectually prepared at a high level which takes time. You do take work home at times, but it's all about time management and figuring out how to plan your week effectively. However, being effectively planned does make for a smooth and productive classroom.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-20
  6. "Hard Work but Rewarding in Every Way Possible"

Current Employee - 4th Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

As a second year employee of Success, I do not believe there is a more rewarding career or place to develop yourself as an educator. The core of Success Academy is growth and development, but not only for the scholars but for the educators working there. Every Wednesdays teachers engage in professional development and receive feedback daily to improve their instruction. The community throughout the network of... Success, is filled with passionate educators leading the way to make a difference in not only their scholars lives but the entire education reform.

Cons

This job is time intensive, and this is pressure for your class to perform well. My advice is to manage your time wisely and be transparent with your colleagues as well as leadership with how you are doing and what you need help with. This job takes hard work but if you are passionate and dedicated, you can grow into an incredible educator.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-19
  7. "Flatbush is the most joyful place"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Flatbush, NY

Pros

The staff is so friendly to each other and to the children. The environment is a place where kids would rather be in than out. As a teacher you can move up in positions quickly based on your performance and level of dedication. The leader team works hard to make everyone in the building better teachers and give clear feedback to help you grow and help scholars reach their full potential. If you are successful in... this environment, you will be able to teach and work anywhere because you have the organization skills and grit to get things done well.

Cons

There's a high bar of excellence and it may be hard for you to work at a place if you are not comfortable with getting feedback to get better. You have to keep in mind that everything you do is for the children and being prepared and reaching your full potential is the most important.

Advice to Management

None.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-18
  8. "Challenging but rewarding work"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher

Pros

There are many reasons why I've worked at Success Academy for several years now. The first is the students. Their energy, humor, and intelligence make every day different. Our relationships with the students go beyond just a teacher-student as you advise them in all more than just content. I also love how close me and my colleagues are. Together we work at a fast pace which makes the days fly by. Since we are so... data driven, it is also very satisfying to tangibly see that hard work pay off in test results.

Cons

There is definitely a lot of pressure to perform well. However, utilizing your colleagues and leaders helps a lot. The hours are long and you are on your feet all day. It takes a lot of grit and dedication.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-16
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Management Specialist
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Opportunities for advancement - Compensated well - Fast moving, challenging environment - never boring - Consistently trying to improve our processes, lots of ability to be creative - Great benefits

Cons

- Have to do work often outside of normal work hours

Advice to Management

N/A

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-16
  10. "Amazing Schools, Amazing Kids, Amazing Staff!"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Working at Success Academy has been such a blessing for me! I have received so much support from the schools' leadership all the way to the teachers who I work with. I have grown so much as a professional and it is all thanks to the amazing staff at Success Academy. The kids are so awesome as well! It is just truly amazing seeing them grow in knowledge throughout the course of the school year. If you get hired at... Success Academy, you are in the RIGHT place!

Cons

Long hours, but so worth it! You feel like you are changing the educational world every day you step into your school.

Success Academy Charter Schools2019-09-12