Sunrise Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Really care about the residents and the team members" (in 39 reviews)

• "I really appreciate and love the residents" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Short staffed often due to numerous call offs" (in 33 reviews)

• "Management is hit or miss- opportunities for advancement are not as available as upper management say they are" (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Weybridge, England
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Weybridge, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have personally only been working at Sunrise for almost 7 weeks as a part time housekeeper. Although still newish I felt very welcome from the start, lovely team members, kind and considerate management. Although the job can be very demanding and physical at times I couldn't be happier. I would recommend sunrise to anyone as good place to work

Cons

Pay could be better and more staff

Advice to Management

non

2. "HR Team Member"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Beaconsfield, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Beaconsfield, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Struggling to find any, however the company is fairly generous when it comes to social events.

Cons

Sunrise is a very political place to be, especially within the HR functions, new key members are been paid a lot of money to not rock the boat, whilst other senior members of the team who have been there years are desperately clinging onto the sinking ship in an undignified manner and at the expense of others. These people are not competent and some terrible mistakes have been made due to them elevating their position. They have lost some amazing talent due to this old school boy network approach. The talentless in the HR team are managed to keep their roles as they don’t know any better. Very old fashioned HR practices.

Advice to Management

Take the time to look carefully at each senior member of the HR team. Do not let the wool be pulled over your eyes.

"Okay to work"

Current Employee - Health Care Assistant in Solihull, England
    Current Employee - Health Care Assistant in Solihull, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

Good management and helpful staff

Cons

More work and less what care staff does.

"good team"

Former Employee - Care Manager in Warrington, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Warrington, North West England, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time

Pros

shift work suits to own life
    lunch with residents
    Good hard working team

Cons

hard challenging work
    rota changed without notice
    not supported with difficult residents
    not enough staff on shift at times

Advice to Management

treat staff with respect

5. "Wages"

Current Employee - Reminiscence Care Manager in Bournemouth, England
    Current Employee - Reminiscence Care Manager in Bournemouth, England

Pros

Can wear your own clothes , my team are helpful and friendly , lowercranked staff make the place

Cons

You don't get bupa health care unless your a manager , rubbish money , they only care about what the place looks like

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more pay is very poor indeed

"carer AND HOUSEKEEPER"

Former Employee - Housekeeper and Carer in Solihull, England
    Former Employee - Housekeeper and Carer in Solihull, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time

Pros

I can no think of any

Cons

Team members repeatedly use mobile phones (taking photos ect.) while on duty and are blatant enough to charge them at Sunrise facilities, it's outrageous! Many unhappy staff, awful atmosphere for residents. Some managers do not appreciate the hardworking staff instead are constantly putting others down, fellow team members victimise each others. Not a nice place to work. Unless you're a friend/family of managers you can feel 'safe'' in your position. Not an equal opportunities employer.

"NEGLECT- patients and staff"

Current Employee - Care Giver in Frome, England
    Current Employee - Care Giver in Frome, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people you get to look after every day

Hoping you get to work with carers who care that day

Cons

Bullying attitude from management and upwards
    Intimidation for anyone who dare speak out on bad care, or you get sacked
    If you're the managers friends you can be off sick, if not you're expected in to give it to residents
    Huge staff turnover, young inexperienced staff being taken on to replace those experienced who suddenly leave, often not of their own choice.
    Many unhappy staff, awful atmosphere for residents
    Short staffed, no management support, poor training
    Can honestly say I would not leave my cat there.
    Staff told do not converse with families just be polite hello and goodbye
    Poor food portions for residents, cannot get to patients always in time before they wet, or to give enough drinks.
    Patients are a pound sign now not people who need love
    Wool pulled over some families eyes and staff
    No management support weekends
    Constant agency nurses who don't help carers
    Emergency number left for weekends rarely answered by those on call

Advice to Management

Work in a factory where you don't need to care

8. "Working for them for 6 years"

Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Guildford, England
    Former Employee - Reminiscence Coordinator in Guildford, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working well as a team. Working with like minded people. Pay structure great and a real chase to grow as a person.

Cons

Lack of progression when you hit a certain point

""Sunrise Senior Living an awesome, warmly and wonderful family to be""

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at Sunrise Senior Living because of the foundation belief. I feel this is heavenly. Furthermore, the mission statement, principles of service, the core values and the team member credo makes me feel comfortable and fulfilled in serving our residents.
    The residents are just so sweet to be with them. My co-workers are a formidable team. Together we form a wonderful family. Am always full of smiles, joy and fulfilled just to know that I can make a difference and put a smile on someone's face.
     I have been away from them for a couple of months due to sickness. Am amazed with the support and encouragements I have been receiving from the residents, management and co-workers. I am always emotional when am visited, receive cards and flowers from them, to the extent that I have been taken out for dinners organised by staff. I feel so humbled by these gestures of love. The management has always been in touch with me. This family is so special to me.
     I was amazed to receive a letter to acknowledge the long service I have been with Sunrise Senior Living. Hard work, commitment, dedication and passion is awarded at Sunrise Senior Living. In addition, to the remunerations i.e wages, pension, etc one is recognised for any extra effort made both for the residents as well as to members of staff i.e in form of shopping vouchers, soul and heart notes. I love this.

Cons

The main challenge has been the frequent changes of management. I guess it is unavoidable in a changing business environment. This however, has had an impact on some long term stay residents even some members of staff leaving. I believe there should be a balance on profit making and the Welfare of the residents.
    There has been challenges on annual leave approvals. At the beginning of the year everybody is requested to apply for the year. At times, it a problem to get approved on the specific times that one would like to have the time off due to lots of applications on that period. I do appreciate the challenge of satisfying everyone but at the same I recon that our residents have to be served at the highest standard possible to provide the quality of life.
    Apart from the basic training provided, I wish other extra relevant courses solicited by individuals could be allowed to enhance their job performance.

Advice to Management

Care staff turnover is too high that sometimes leads to some other few remaining team members being overworked in turn leading to being off sick. This disturbs residents and work flows. Members of staff should be encouraged to do some extra activities for themselves supported by Management i.e dance clubs, swimming clubs, dinners clubs etc for team building
    There should be a very clear chain of command. Instructions from so many people confuses and puts strain especially on the care staff. For example, the Lead Care Manager instructs the Care Manager the task to be carried out, the Nurse may come to give more instructions on another task, before the tasks are completed may be the Activities Coordinator requests another task to be done by the same individual. Before long the General Manager or Deputy Manager asks for an urgent task to be done.

"not a nice company"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Banstead, England

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

residents are the only nice thing about sunrise shame really could be such a nice place

Cons

resident treated like crap by staff and management do nothing i reported people nothing got done every thing gets swept under the carpet manager treats staff like crap dare you be off sick or need an operation you get sack or threaten to be theres so much i could say but this company does not care the are so greedy all they care about is money they do not care about residents or staff and never will could not stand it no more and left after 3 years of hell

Advice to Management

wish some would give them a wake up call or a good kick up the a

Showing 566 of 1,056 reviews