Swinton Insurance Employee Reviews about "redundancies"

Updated 7 Apr 2018

Swinton Insurance Managing Director Scott Kennedy (no image)
Scott Kennedy
Pros
  • "Great people in each department(in 20 reviews)

• "Not a bad company to work for, good people to work with(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "the call centre / head office in Manchester will be gone within 2 years when it starts functioning out of King Stoke(in 19 reviews)

• "Redundancies often dealt with in a very unsympathetic manner by senior management(in 19 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "redundancies"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work !!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Head Office in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenging fast moving environment Under going cutting edge transformational projects Fantastic training and development Hands on experience unlike competitors loads stake holder engagement and projects!

Cons

Have made redundancies /cost cutting exercise Need to look at further engagement with graduates Salary reviews in areas need to take place

July 31, 2015Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working for Swinton, we definitely have some exciting projects happening across the group & plenty more to come! We give individuals as much hands on experience as we can to enhance & further develop their skills, I think this is a unique selling point at Swinton! We are launching our first apprenticeship academy in September so watch this space! We will pass on your comments & great feedback to the operational leadership team.

"Only a matter of time before it’s one BIG call centre!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Sutton, South Yorkshire, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Colleagues and my direct line manager any other pros have disappeared gradually over the years from constant changes to the bonus scheme. Now no matter how well you perform if other departments don’t deliver overall objectives you will not get a bonus at all.

Cons

Non existent “bonus”, lies from Exco team, promises of clarity and improved engagement then no communications for months especially in times of crisis redundancies/branch closure. They only invest in head office call centre in Manchester all other areas of the business left on its knees with terrible systems, crumbling offices that they can’t wait to close/sell.

April 26, 2018Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to discuss any of the issues you raise any further please call us on 0161 233 3850. We value our colleagues and would like to discuss your experience. Thanks, the Swinton team.

"I Wish I Could Be Kinder"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you stay long enough, they'll eventually pay you to leave.

Cons

Swinton Insurance are a company in serious decline with an even more serious identity crisis. They don’t know who they are or where they are going anymore. The organisation has a culture of internal politics and bureaucracy; too many fingers, too many pies. Projects have far too many egos to stroke and decisions are often made based on points scoring rather than the greater good. Swinton wasted tens of millions on an internally designed retail platform that never got past Car Quote and customer admin stage – because too many people wanted too many things and no-one could agree with what it should do or had the guts to tell these people to sit down and shut up. A whole lot of noise is made about being innovative and modern but quite often the status quo will win because the business processes and systems are so complex that no-one can be bothered to spend the time to unpick them or people will put far too many barriers in place to allow it to happen. Quite often, something new will come out that will be quickly followed by work arounds, quick fixes, pauses or pulled altogether – purely because they just can’t get it right before it goes live. This toxic attitude along with a senior management team’s constant lies will be what drives the company into the abyss. Rumours of the company’s sale first started to circulate in August 2017 but were denied as having no basis. The company is now listed as being up for auction in 2018 – despite all of the denials from the leadership teams. Swinton claim to be all about the customer. They aren’t. They claim to be a modern company. Despite a very attractive head office building, they aren’t. They claim to be open and honest. They aren’t. They claim to be innovative. They aren’t. They claim to be a responsive and mobile business. They aren’t. I think you know where this is going… Swinton also bang a very loud drum about being diverse – but the reality is that it’s all for show. Yes, there is a diverse culture in the organisation but it’s all for show. It’s all a points scoring game for PR that leads to positive discrimination. But it’s OK, faces that fit are apparently indispensable, including those at the top. So as long as your face fits, you're fine. You’re not good at your job because you’re good at your job, you’re good at it because they hired a / an [insert minority]. They’ve supported Manchester Pride for a few years running, but don’t directly do any other work for any other community unless it benefits them. In the interests of fairness, the branches are encouraged to help communities and frequently do, but it’s plastered with Swinton rather than because these people are good people. A good company doesn’t need to bang a drum to score PR points, people will do it for you. The company is in serious decline, customers are turning their backs on the company but no-one at the top has ever really asked why; let alone tried to stop the rot. They focus on “good customer service” being about a customer presenting a box of chocolates and not about what the company offer the customer. This has lead to mass redundancies for 3 years, shrinkage of the support functions and branches, sale of the building they owned, introduction of contractors who could be gone tomorrow all seemingly being manoeuvred into either closure or a merger with a company that already have these assets. No wonder Covea want shot of it. Don’t be fooled by the PR, the bottom line is that the company is in serious decline and Swinton are the epitome of what not to do to save a company from going under. The leadership team at the top have made the most disastrous and stupid decisions but are never being held to account for them; and that will not change while they are in charge. Give the company a go if there is a new senior management structure in place. It might be better, but if the current team are still around when you read this, then join their customers and avoid like the plague.

February 12, 2018Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed you think we’re not transparent and honest, we do always try to keep our colleagues informed. The recent reports you refer to are speculative, and we wouldn’t want our colleagues to worry about the future of the business. If you would like to discuss any of the issues you have raised in more detail, please contact us directly on 0161 233 3850. Thank you.

"Unsecure"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Manchester City Centre, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to work with and the new building in the City centre is very nice

Cons

Lots of miscommunication's and insecurity when it comes to job roles. Things seem to change every year and the board of directors make sweeping changes often. Lots of branches closing down and redundancies have been rife.

September 8, 2017Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the changes within Swinton have been difficult ones as we have undergone a transition to a more digitally-focused company. However has been essential to alter the way we work in order to meet the changing needs of our customers. All staff were consulted throughout each stage of the process and support was available for all affected staff. However if you think more could have been done or you have specific feedback you would like to give about the consultation process please let us know. You can contact the HR Helpdesk directly on 0161 233 3850, who will be able to assist.

"Some positives, but the axe is being sharpened as cuts are always in the pipeline."

Former Employee - Analyst in Manchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Some excellent line managers. Lots of projects to get involved with. Great deal of change as Swinton are trying to catch up with rivals after years of lagging behind. New office in a city centre location.

Cons

Unsecure, as lots of change means lots of cuts. This means jobs are in the firing line. Redundancies often dealt with in a very unsympathetic manner by senior management. Reluctance of departments/areas to take ownership of processes and procedures. Poor benefits package.

July 4, 2017Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the changes within Swinton have been difficult ones as we have undergone a transition to a more digitally-focused company. As you have indicated in your review, it has been essential to alter the way we work in order to meet the changing needs of our customers. All staff were consulted throughout each stage of the process and support was available for all affected staff. However if you think more could have been done or you have specific feedback you would like to give about the consultation process please let us know. You can contact our Recruitment team directly on 0161 233 3822, they will be happy to discuss this.

"Oh dear"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in London, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was lucky enough to spend my last year working with an amazing team and manager that would always offer support when needed. The holiday allowance got increased (for some) after the 2016 conference. Location - I was lucky enough to have a 5 min commute to work.

Cons

The company decided to introduce a new system (about time, the old systems were a joke) however just for bants decided to give no-one any proper training. The seniors that are meant to know how to work the system don't know their bum from their elbow and you then get penalised for calling around to different departments for help. Thanks Swinton. Where to start with the redundancies. We found out that we could 'potentially' be made redundant just over a month before it actually happened meaning that those that weren't lucky enough to receive any sort of redundancy package, were left panicked trying to find a job. Now I don't know if any of you have tried looking for jobs recently, but 1 month is not enough! The government can thank Swinton for the recent increase in job seekers applications. By June we had all gotten used to the idea that we were leaving and had all started the frantic job hunting process, but Swinton being Swinton dropped a bombshell 2 weeks before the branches closed - there were vacancies in branches staying open. Now bare in mind that around 84 branches closed, these branches that are remaining open are not down the road. There had been people that were willing to relocate to the open branches, but No! Swinton won't allow that, let's just force two poor sods that don't want to be here anymore to commute for an extra hour everyday, to an office they don't want to work in, for a company that they've already decided they want to leave, after spending weeks looking for a new job, let's just keep them just for bants. Also not long after we were told about the 'possible' redundancies, our intranet was flooded by images of the new Swinton head office, in the heart of Manchester city, with amazing links all over the place, shiny new desks and computers, with their own state of the art pool tables, unicorns, whatever. Thanks for the consideration Swinton. Why not rub it in some more. The board clearly have no sympathy for anyone, they clearly don't care about their staff, got rid of us as soon as we sorted out their system and got it up and running. Working in the branches is hectic! We not only had to do our work but the contact centres would pass us their work too (how you are going to survive with the contact centre I do not know, they don't know how to do the basics) All in all I have to say I don't trust the board. I don't trust that the rest of the branches are going to stay open for very long. It's clear that 'personal service has gone out the window a long time ago, and the only thing that made you different in the market was the branches, but now you are getting rid of them good luck! You won't be able to survive online either because your rates are shocking.

Continue reading

"Hellish time at Swinton"

Current Employee - CSA in London, England

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The only positive thing that I can really think of is that there is flexibility which is great for my needs. Also, the team that I work with are brilliant. And the manager is supportive of all of us.

Cons

Well where do I start on this....after having worked for Swinton for nearly 10 years. The board at Swinton are still not provided transparency to all us CSA's. We have to read between the lines and draw our own conclusions. Redundancies were swift and harsh. Without the option of offering VR to those that may have wanted it. Which in turn could have allowed others to stay without having to go through compulsory redundancy. The branches are quiet with calls far and few between. The prices of our policies nearly almost always are more than our competitors. Whereas before we could possibly say we are a high street branch. All we can say is go online and go for the cheaper quote that Swinton are offering online. And we can not proactively say 'did you want me to set up the policy for you' after they have had the online quote. Renewals have been taken away and the out dated way we call our leads with little or no success. Why can't we have liability, caravan, motorcycles back in the office We once were a good company. Now we are a company in disarray. When was the last pulse survey commissioned. Are Swinton worried what the feedback would be. Transparency is the key, be upfront and none of this cloak and dagger attitude.

June 12, 2017Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the changes within Swinton have been difficult ones as we have undergone a transition to a more digitally-focused company. It has been essential to alter the way we work in order to meet the changing needs of our customers. All staff were consulted throughout each stage of the process and support was available for all affected staff. If you wish to discuss these issues any further, please contact our Recruitment team directly on 0161 233 3822, who will be able to assist.

"Redundancy"

Sales Executive

I have been working at Swinton Insurance for more than 3 years

Pros

On the whole great branch staff and branch managers.

Cons

huge branch closures and redundancies recently announced. Why are new staff employed on much higher salaries than existing experienced and valuable staff?? Very poor upper management and ex co team. Would not recommend to anyone.

"Warning..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The majority of people, although all the high caliber people have left due to how bad it is for colleagues and customers. I find it hard to believe many of the recent positive reviews on here, trying to balance out the negative reviews. This is a company where people (customers/colleagues) are being shafted.

Cons

Almost everything, the way it treats customers (£8,000,000 fine) and read social media, full of complaints, different commission levels for different customers. I did a quote and it was 20% more in the branch compared to call center with exactly the same details - CUSTOMER LOYALTY ISN'T REWARDED. If your family and friends are with Swinton do them a favor and help them shop around. The way it treats colleagues: pay freezes, redundancies, rubbish processes, make staff like robots, poor benefits, awful salary, lack of progression, lack of development, promising the world giving rubbish (Evolve). Swinton will not be around much longer, you can go to employers where you will be paid fairly, developed properly and have a career rather than a (dead end) job. Most of the staff don't insurer with Swinton, even with Staff Sales discount you can smash the price online with someone else. Most people are clinging on for redundancy, it's a shame.... a shadow of what they were 3+ years ago.

April 14, 2016Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it’s important we listen to our colleagues and our customers. At Swinton we’re proud of the standard of service we offer to our customers and the practices you’ve noted are absolutely not in keeping with what we aim to achieve. Our approach is to put customers first and I can assure you that any practices that don’t treat customers fairly are not part of our business, which is why some many customers trust us to protect the things that are important to them. We have continued rigorous controls in place to monitor how we support our customers to make sure we’re achieving the right outcomes for them. And we’ve made huge progress as company in learning the lessons since the FCA fine in July 2013 I’m also sorry to hear your feedback on how you feel we treat our colleagues. We’ve already improved pay and benefits this year and we’re simplifying lots of our processes to make it easier for colleagues and easier for customers. Making Swinton a great place to work is very important to us, it’s how we keep giving the great customer service we’ve been recognised for through schemes like Feefo. I’m really concerned to hear your feedback and I’d really appreciate it if you would contact me about these matters, or use our whistleblowing process to escalate this further. If you need information about this please contact our HR team in confidence.

"Ups and downs...unfortunately, more downs than there should be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team morale, everyone in Swinton is always helpful and sharing knowledge with you when starting. Training allowance was good (when they gave it) Flexi time

Cons

No transparency - too many rumours constantly going on, which of course get denied by leadership team - and 95% of the time the rumours turn out to be true...including branch closures, change of directors, outsourcing IT systems, redundancies. Directors and senior leadership team are quick to say the teams we have didn't do a good job on work...but didn't want to listen when advised the way they want things doing is wrong/over-complicated Flex time is good, but very limited with hours you can work between Constantly changing board - all of whom have the same plan...close some branches and change the IT systems

April 4, 2016Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback. As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could you speak to your line manager, or contact the HR team confidentially so we can help?

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 English Reviews