Sykes Cottages Reviews

Updated 1 Jan 2021

3.9
Sykes Cottages CEO  Graham Donoghue
Graham Donoghue
Pros
  • "There is always something to get involved in no day is the same at Sykes(in 37 reviews)

• "Great benefits- eg free fruit, fab Christmas party(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Other than that there aren't really any cons to working here at Sykes(in 17 reviews)

• "Make booking, sell insurance, as well as take on a customer service role at times(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Fantastic Company To Work For."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well-being awareness, Team Spirit, Family Oriented, Staff that genuinely care, Room for progression for the right people with the right attitude.

Cons

Parking isn’t ideal but right by the train station, working over a 7 day shift rota is not ideal for some, personally love it. Gym could be bigger :)

Continue reading
  2. "A breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time

Pros

I've worked in the travel and hospitality industries for 13 years, and honestly never thought I would find a travel company to look after it's employees the way other industries do. From the start Sykes has communicated clearly, I have had all the support and training I could possibly want, and honestly have the nicest team of people around me. Sykes really does work to achieve its core values.

Cons

Honestly, none that I can think of! Other than I'd like the on site gym opening back up!

3. "Rapid Growth Business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, England

I worked at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good office location Decent tech stack Team that you can learn from

Cons

None that I can think of

4. "Positive"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse work, chance to develop.

Cons

The shift system in general does not gel with other depts.

5. "Brilliant Company"

Current Employee - Property Specialist in Windermere, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time

Pros

Really great company to work for, friendly, caring compassionate with lots of perks

Cons

coverage area outweighs team size, but we all muck in and help each other out so all is well!

6. "Nice people to work with"

Current Employee - Customer Services in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

No room to progress further

7. COVID-19

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are working through the new normal with an emphasis on employee wellbeing. A large program of support is available should you need it via a 3rd party so its all confidential. They have helped me with counselling and answered on the first ring. The benefits package here is better than anything I've ever heard of. Free flu jabs have been offered also which is great given the current Covid situation. Company updates are now available on an online portal which also allows for easy communication between colleagues and teams which helps us all keep in touch, which has been really nice when teams have been split between work and home.

Cons

Its been hard adjusting to working from home or to work from the office with new covid guidelines but a lot of thought has gone into employee safety whilst in the office. No beer trolley whilst working from home... having to go to the fridge myself is laborious!

"Grass isn't always greener"

Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Chester, England

I worked at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Work Environment Great support to be able to do your job A company that cares about staffs mental health Casual dress so you can feel yourself Good out of work activities arranged as well

Cons

Could pay a bit more Targets for some points of the year seem unachievable

9. COVID-19

"OK but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having been with company a few years some of the shine has worn off Great but still overall a amazing place to work. Great people to work with and you are allowed to have some freedom with the conversations you have and how you tailor them. The way they have coped with sending 500+ to work from home during covid and the support offered in getting setup and have the equipment was fab. Made sure we could all stay contacted during this time. Unfortunately the Christmas do has been cancelled this year which I understand but is deffiently a highlight of the year for Sykes there is always a buzz around the office this time of year and the atmosphere is amazing. They don't make you feel like a bum on seat and can really work with you to make your job better. regular 121s so able to bring up issues. Issues that may affect your work pattern you can take to your management

Cons

The ability to grow is there but you have to have been round a while as spots don't open up often also have to stay in the same type of roll not a chance to gain a skill which you may prefer to do. Given the fact that covid happened and no one wants to go on holiday from march to July was not taken into consideration in regards to targets your still pushed to hit harder than ever knowing that they are unachievable. The workload can be hideous and you can not complete all your work in one day depending what comes though each day. Often left picking up other peoples work and falling behind in your own but ridiculed for not knowing where your work is upto when asked. They will pull members from your team to help others but you will not receive the help back no one will be drafted in to back the other team to help them catch up on their work. The conversations with customers are harder than ever because of covid but your asked to keep your call time down and although advised that calls are record once it is over 15 min they can not recall the call back so rendering it pointless. Although you have regular 121s sometimes you can feel managers have answers to all of your concerns and don't always care about what you are saying. Can feel like your always being asked for something rather than just being allowed to get on with your job sometimes making you feel like you are not trusted the continual bombardment of messages where is this where is that not helping when you are struggling as it is. Do you really care about mental health?

10. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - SEO Executive in Chester, England

I have been working at Sykes Cottages full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, Focus on Employee well-being,

Cons

None that I know of.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 184 English Reviews