77% would recommend to a friend
(14 total reviews)
73% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Close knit team." (in 3 reviews)
Found 14 of over 22 reviews
Updated 11 Jun 2020
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.011 Jun 2020Social Media ManagerCurrent Freelancer, less than 1 yearNorthampton, England
- Despite the team being distributed worldwide, there are a lot of opportunities for fun social activities - All ideas are listened to and appreciated - Lots of opportunity for development - Super flexible - Work from home - Interact with a community of users across the world
I can't say I've experienced any yet2Symless Response4y
Thank you for the positive feedback, and we're delighted that our borderless, flexible staffing model is working well for you.
- 5.014 Jan 2016Web DeveloperCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearReading, England
Great working environment. The whole team is like a second family. The best work/life balance. Courses to learn new technologies or other skills are provided. Flexible working hours. There are drinks, a professional coffee machine, crisps and sweets in the office =)
Personally the location of the Camberley office is a handicap for me. I live in Reading and commute every day to Camberley.19Symless Response6y
Having a strong work family is important. We're glad you felt like the work/life balance was right, and it's also good to hear that the courses were helpful.
- 2.020 Jul 2018Software EngineerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearCamberley, England
- Was a small company with a jovial atmosphere and a passionate team (8 people as of May 2018). - The company always managed to hire talented people. Everyone there could have been somewhere else earning more, but stayed because they felt like a part of something worthwhile. - Nick (CEO) was always generous and kind to his employees. - Nick (CEO) was once passionate and enthusiastic about what was possible, and it was infectious. - Company was highly profitable. - Product development was fun, challenging and offered variety.
- Nick (CEO) is just plain fiscally irresponsible, wasting time and money on self-congratulatory crap, like a "museum" for past versions of the product. His private and personal expenditure is disproportionate, which I personally believe lead directly to the redundancy of *all* of the remaining staff after I left (5 in total). Frankly, a highly profitable company was needlessly run in to the ground due to his recklessness. - Nick (CEO), despite hiring good people, never truly took on board their views or advice, individual or collective, frequently becoming tyrannical. - Nick (CEO) lacked the ability to make coherent medium to long-term product ownership decisions, leaving engineers and managers feeling "aimless". It was common to ask questions of managers only to realise they had the same questions themselves. - Nick (CEO) effectively abandoned the company for 6 months, spending *very* little time in the office during an important product development phase. Even his management team couldn't meaningfully reach him. On the day he laid us all off, I was actually pleased to see him walk in to the office. - Despite claiming to value time above all else, Nick (CEO), when present, was often found pedantically, one could argue obsessively, fussing over operational minutia. - Nick (CEO), despite having only a few years of software engineering experience, and only having run a startup consisting of a handful of people, for a handful of years, built around a modest, niche, open-source product (which he inherited), believes he can be the next Steve Jobs. At first this can be seen as pure zeal, but there is a point at which is becomes blinding.18Symless Response6y
Thank you for your feedback, we're glad that you could appreciate our passion, generosity, and kindness.
- 5.014 Jan 2016Office ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearCamberley, England
Friendly and relaxed working envioroment
Never enough hours in the day19Symless Response6y
Friendly and relaxed are exactly what I strive for at the company. We do our best work when we can relax and think.
- 5.022 Oct 2018Senior Graphic DesignerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearCamberley, England
The team set clear and attainable goals. The work environment was always positive.
Too lenient with the unavoidable slackers. This has since been rectified.5Symless Response6y
Thanks for leaving feedback. We have since changed our recruitment strategy and interview process to raise the bar.
- 5.018 Aug 2014Support RepresentativeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearPortland, OR
The work is self-rewarding. I would be doing this even if I wasn't being paid for it (probably not as much, heh). It's an important mission and I'm very happy to be part of a team who also feels the work is important. Policies are rather open, people are generally allowed to handle their departments how they see fit, as long as the work is getting done and customers aren't complaining.
Resources are somewhat limited. I like what we accomplish with what we have, and I'm not sure if there is any possibility of getting more out of it. I think we're all doing the best we can with what's available. I just wish there were more available.17Symless Response6y
Thanks for the review! We really valued your time working with us and I'm glad you appreciated the autonomy and open culture.
- 5.020 Nov 2018Business ConfidanteCurrent Freelancer, less than 1 yearDouglas
The CEO Nick is determined to get it right and recruit the best people to move the company and software forward to the next level. He is taking advice from experienced people both inside and outside the industry to help him create and execute a great strategy, recruit and retain the best people and develop and enhance synergy so it can be proudly placed in the market with excellent results. Nick is listening carefully to all the advice he is receiving but is making his own decisions after careful and considered thought for all stakeholders which has been great to witness. He wants to get it right. His communication style has been consultative, open and positive at all times. It has been a pleasure working with Nick over the past few months.
None so far that should put someone off considering Symless as a future employer of choice1
- 4.015 Oct 2018Consultant - Strategy & OperationsCurrent Contractor, less than 1 yearPort Erin
- Creativity and thinking outside the box is encouraged - Using modern kit - Excited client base (Disney!) - Fast-paced, every day is different - Freedom to explore new ideas and encouraged to voice them - Pizza, lots of pizza
- Transitioning from a traditional ‘old school’ software firm was a little difficult - The fast pace of a typical day was also something of a shock - CEO is a powerhouse of enthusiasm which can be a little difficult to get used to at first but ultimately it is a very good thing. - A fridge stocked with energy drinks for those evening brainstorming sessions would be nice!10
- 5.015 Oct 2018Business AdvisorCurrent Freelancer, less than 1 yearCastletown
The new software development is really exciting as it would move technology forward in the digital/software market. The Isle of Man is the HQ for the company now and it is a cool peaceful place that is an Unesco Biosphere. You pay lower taxes and get more for your money.
Can be wet and windy in the winter months.11
- 5.06 Nov 2018Technical SupportCurrent EmployeeKiev, Kyiv
I have been working in the company for several months, and I can say the following: 1. The company is really very cool. 2. Interesting tasks from clients and their solutions in a team. 3. Nick is a great manager. Able to listen, analyze, propose and make decisions. 4. You can learn a lot, because the product affects many operating systems. 5. Great team. All together we cope perfectly with the tasks and volumes of work. 6. A large amount of material for the study of Synergy. 7. It is very comfortable and pleasant to work as a whole.
I have no negative thoughts or opinions about the company or work in the company. Everything is very, very cool.2
Symless Reviews FAQs
Symless has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 22 reviews left anonymously by employees. 77% of employees would recommend working at Symless to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
77% of Symless employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Symless 4.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.