Symplicity Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Bill Gerety

Company changed for the worse

Current Employee - Tech Staff in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Tech Staff in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few long-term employees who still care Casual work environment

Cons

New management has implemented policies that have been very detrimental to employee morale and that actively prevent optimum productivity.

Advice to Management

Stop making unilateral decisions in a vacuum.

2. Not for beginners

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer

Pros

Good work environment, friendly people, people are easy to approach.

Cons

Not a place to work, if you are changing your technology. They expect you to know a lot and does not give you enough time to learn. Some of the leads are very condescending. Pay is extremely less as compared to other places.

Advice to Management

Its good to expect a lot from people but give them time to learn. And if you are expecting this much, pay accordingly.

3. UX Designer/Developer

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Multiple projects Different new technologies helpful coworkers and relaxing atmosphere

Cons

Low efficiency of project process

Advice to Management

Let employees focus on one project instead of multi-task improve the efficiency of management

5. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Somewhat flexible hours - Awesome management who genuinely wants you to be successful - Actually felt like a part of the company and not just another cog in the machine - Able to work from home - Able to work remotely after a year or two of employment - Great location, just a 5 minute walk to get to DC, metro accessible - They are trying really hard to make it a great fun place to work - Literally no one on the sales team is your typical "salesy scumbag", everyone is super wonderful - Free snacks in the kitchen

Cons

I only left the company because I was moving, and I personally don't have a deep passion for software sales, but Symplicity makes working so enjoyable that I didn't mind that I wasn't exactly working in my dream career field.

Advice to Management

Just got a new CEO in May, but haven't had any negative interactions with him. In fact, received a raise after the new CEO started, so he gets two thumbs up from me. Sales Manager is also super knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. My only advice would be to have more company events, but I think they're working on that, so truly no complaints!

6. Its a good place to work at

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you can learn a lot here when you dont have a lot of experience

Cons

youre on your own a lot of times and hours are long

7. There's no connection with your manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff overall, all hardworking and genuinely nice people. Teammates couldn't have been nicer and enjoyable to work with. Interesting projects and technologies in use. The company is doing a great thing for higher education.

Cons

Management really is disconnected from what's going on with the teammembers. A year after I started he asked if I knew how to do MSEs because he was not clued in to what we were doing. Now laid me off saying I wasn't checking in with him enough. Everyone else is reeling because I was really helpful with my teammates and everyone else at symp. I responded to tickets efficiently and correctly. I loved doing that and seeing the impact I had on people in the company. Management didn't see that and laid me off based on their own concerns rather than based on actual contributions. I even mentioned this and my boss said that we could focus on the positives all day but things still couldn't go on. Huh? He was completely inflexible and left many people high and dry by laying me off due to his own agenda. It is extremely disappointing to me and everyone else. As if that isn't enough, HR gives laid off people a double wammy by telling coworkers they can't give personal recommendations. Not sure this is legal! Symplicity really let me down and I definitely don't feel like I was "a part of the family" so to speak.

Advice to Management

Management really needs to be connected with their own team rather than being in their own world. Try seeing what your teammates are working on, contributing to and doing beyond the high level task lists. Everyone in the team gets emails about the tickets we work on, so this really isn't that hard to do if you try. There's too much of a communication silo between the team and management.

8. Very Collaborative Place to Work.

Current Employee - Client Relationship Lead
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Lead

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team mentality. Everyone wants you to succeed! Ability to work remotely. This really gives you the ability to live your life in a more balanced way. You can throw in a load of laundry or start a pot roast without disrupting your day. Constant improvement of the products that you work with. Fun people, who have senses of humor. The managers that I work with are thoughtful caring people. They are also very reasonable.

Cons

Benefits : The benefits aren't that great when you are coming from higher education. Family health insurance is very expensive, the retirement is probably in line with normal businesses, but is not close to higher education. It is especially difficult to envision planning a parental leave after having that covered so well at an institution of higher education. I knew about the benefits going in, and I didn't let it stop me. I am grateful!

9. Mobile Developer

Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Flexible environment 2. Awesome Product manager, u ll feel like working in the mobile team is always so inspiring. 3. A lot exciting project to be done, you will never get boring 4. Team are so friendly, always willing to help and learn from each other 5. Young and energetic company. 6. Remote work 7. Manager like to encourage to express your own idea

Cons

1. Vacation days is less than the other company 2. Work time to 6 p.m. which means it will be late for any after time activity. 3. Health insurance is not cheap. 4. You need pay parking for yourself.

10. Great Job for the Short Term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Laid-back environment *Get to play with a variety of technology *Young employee culture (generally) *Traditional benefits

Cons

*Subpar pay *CEO micromanages and makes knee-jerk decisions/reactions *Mid-level management (what exists of it) sucks at managing *Dead-end job. Don't expect promotions; expect the same job title/pay for years to come *HR is a joke; they can't even crank out the monthly newsletter

Advice to Management

*Listen to your employees; they have their ear to the ground and their suggestions can benefit all *Improve the structure/competency of mid-level management *Reduce the turnover rate - it's embarrassing and a burden on the company (time/energy/money)

11. The employees are very helpful, kind, knowledgeable and driven by a desire to continually improve.

Current Employee - Product Support/Client Relations Specialist in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for personal growth as well as professional development, caring, committed staff, team orientation and innovation.

Cons

I work remotely, and can feel a bit isolated at times.

RSS Feed </> Embed