Synchrony Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Manager

Synchrony Manager Reviews

Updated Oct 23, 2019

3.6
Synchrony CEO Margaret M. Keane (no image)
Margaret M. Keane
  1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - FP&A Manager in Hyderābād

I have been working at Synchrony full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a) Freedom and support from management is immense b) Management is easily accessible for any concern or questions.

Cons

None so far in my 3 years of stint

Advice to Management

It's just 5 years since inception..we can grow significantly in the coming times. I would suggest two components to pay heed on as we are moving forward in our journey , they are -:1) Inclusion and 2) Cognitive Diversity

Synchrony2019-10-23

"FPnA"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Hyderābād

I have been working at Synchrony full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Your life is good as long as you are leadership's good books. Good work life balance. Considerate and helpful company. Great levels of flexibility. Work is not very stressful.

Cons

Small team. Limited exposure. May not have big challenge.

Advice to Management

None

Synchrony2019-08-09

"Great place to build a career, if you can handle the bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Product Manager

I have been working at Synchrony full-time

Pros

* Tons of opportunities for training and development * Great HR, a lot is invested in people here * Making a concerted effort to re-invent itself as the financial services industry changes * Great company culture * Huge organization and lots of opportunity for movement, both horizontally as well as vertically * Executive leadership is available and friendly

Cons

* Very easy for low value employees to just stick around forever * Tons of process/bureaucracy. It was a GE subsidiary so a lot has been inherited * Things happen, but they take time. Very consensus driven.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to change, so many things happen here because 'that's just what we've always done.'

Synchrony2019-07-19
  4. "Great Culture but lots of cliques"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Synchrony full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strongly values diversity (Racial, Gender, Sexual, etc.), Great senior staff

Cons

Promotion more based on personal relationships than performance; roles decided largely before they are posted. You can feel isolated or lost if you don't have a strong advocate or social support.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and value performance equal to relationship building

Synchrony2019-07-19
  5. "Great All Round"

Current Employee - Collections Account Manager in Canton, OH

I have been working at Synchrony part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly and family culture, growth opportunities

Cons

Everything works fine. No changes necessary

Synchrony2019-06-01
  6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager

I have been working at Synchrony full-time

Pros

Compensation, work life balance, Benefits

Cons

Constant org changes and entitlement

Synchrony2019-06-01

""Abandon hope all ye who enter...""

Current Employee - Account Manager in Canton, OH

I have been working at Synchrony full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The seldom realization that you have a choice to leave the company, and are not trapped by the exorbitant amount of paid time off.

Cons

The interview process at Synchrony is an elaborate ruse to promote a diverse workforce. We focus so much on inclusiveness because it is only accolade Synchrony is continually recognized for. It is a counter-intuitive practice, in that some certainly deserve and are qualified to be in the position that they are in, but they did not get to that position based off value. The interview process itself remains completely... unchanged, even after we have claimed to have fixed it; in whole it is a disengaged, robotic charade. Synchrony allows initiatives to be in place to promote people based on diversity, not merit. Synchrony’s agenda to promote for diversity vs. competence will inevitably cause more harm than good. Putting lesser-qualified candidates in positions that could be better performed by someone else causes continuous management issues and a lack of faith in senior leadership. There are numerous studies detailing how it is impossible to hire both for competency and diversity initiatives concurrently, so the fact that Synchrony acts as if both are in place highlights our obliviousness. This is the root cause of 95% of our problems here, yet we choose to continue full-steam ahead with this hushed initiative. I’m not sure if senior leadership thinks we are too thoughtless to realize what is actually happening or afraid to say so, but that is not the case. Everyone knows we are promoting under qualified minorities over those better suited for jobs. I’m certain nothing will be done to improve our interview process because Synchrony cares more about appearing successful than setting themselves up for success. You would think that after losing our biggest client after a decade’s long relationship we would realize our error. Walmart chose to leave us because we are years behind on technological advances and have exemplified a stagnancy to change. How do we ever expect to get ahead if we continue this same path of complacency and ignorance?

Advice to Management

Hire a competent workforce, preferably put a 5th grade reading level in place for entry-level positions and that will fix most of our issues.

Synchrony2019-06-27

"For some, a great opportunity"

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Synchrony full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of time off to support the community and diversity activities

Cons

Favoritism, few training opportunities, small raises.

Advice to Management

Make training available to more people instead of a select favored few. Provide better merit raises.

Synchrony2019-05-22
  9. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Collections Account Manager in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Synchrony full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are unbeatable. My healthcare deductible was $800 and even before it was met, my policy paid for most of my care. The pay is decent. They used to do monthly bonuses but that went away at the beginning of 2019. They averaged your 2018 bonuses and added that into your base pay. So instead of making $15.50, my pay bumped to $17.50/hr. Onsite gym, cafeteria, marketplace, break rooms, vending machines, etc. You... have to have a badge to get into the building so I felt safe while at work. Management is nice and approachable. Ample time off. So many committees to join. You can tell they actually care about your personal growth. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

It’s a call center, so the work is very dull and repetitive. You will deal with unhappy customers on a daily basis. As an account manager, part of my job was to take the escalated calls. This is more of my personal experience, but the sick time policy needs to be changed. You get paid for sick days, but there are certain “triggers” (hours) that you hit and that results in corrective action. I get sick a lot, so... I was put on corrective action quite a few times for it. I wish I could have the option to take unpaid sick time and not get in trouble for it. Synchrony has been rated a Great Place to Work for the past couple of years and it’s true, but that initiative is pushed on us too much. Around the time of year that we take the survey it’s all you hear about from management.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within

Synchrony2019-03-29
  10. "Work life balance"

Current Employee - Audit Manager

I have been working at Synchrony full-time

Pros

Great work life balance for all

Cons

Less interaction with other teams

Synchrony2019-03-13