T J Morris Lead Sales and Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

"Lead Sales"

Lead Sales Assistant in Derby, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at T J Morris for less than a year

Pros

There aren't many. - 10% Discount outside of shifts - £8.46/hr wage - Health & Safety is taken seriously with weekly updates from Head Office

Cons

- Lack of time between shifts, as a Lead Sales, you are closing and more than likely opening up - sometimes less than 10 hours between shifts, especially after a stock take. - Difficult to book holidays - zero computerisation in regards to schedules. - Crappy shifts, either opening or closing. Nothing in between. - Unrealistic targets for all staff. It's impossible to do everything by procedure that is expected in the time allocated. Corners get cut and it can lead to accidents and low staff morale. - No time allocated to unexpected paperwork as Lead Sales. You finish at 5pm? You are told to clock out; regardless if you need to fill a shoplifting report in or an accident form. However you'll then be given a 'notice of improvement' for not doing the reports.

Advice to Management

Management (at my store anyway) generally try to do the best they can but could be improved by agreeing on a united approach to helping staff rather than letting their mood dictate how they'll react. It leads to management with an approachable attitude being the 'go-to' people which then leads to them themselves being overwhelmed. Also communication between management could improve.

T J Morris2018-07-23

"Disgusting"

Former Employee - Lead Sales and Sales Assistant in Morecambe, England

I worked at T J Morris part-time for less than a year

Pros

Non apart from fill team you work with can be amusing

Cons

Terrible company. Managers are under constant pressure to pick at staff. Managers are bullied by area managers. Constant rule changes no consistency. Never paid Correctly. HR complaints are swept under the rug. This company makes millions at the expense of human life. You are minions in the eyes or management. Just don't do it. Look at the reviews it's a nasty company. Best thing I did was leave.

Advice to Management

Be humble. Be human. Don't stay with the company more than a year get the experience and leave asap. Don't let area managers intimidate you.

T J Morris2017-07-05
  3. "Home Bargains Review"

Former Employee - Lead Sales and Sales Assistant in Southport, England

I worked at T J Morris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good career opportunities. I enjoy the freedom of merchandising and not having to follow a planogram as it allows me to express myself. I miss this in current jobs. It is a lot of hard work, but has a fun culture.

Cons

Do not finish on time. Overtime is forced/expected, Made to feel like you have to do extra.

Advice to Management

Need to learn man-management skills. A culture of fear is not needed, different approaches work wonders. Understand people do have lives outside of the company.

T J Morris2017-02-18

"Meh"

Former Employee - Lead Sales and Sales Assistant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at T J Morris full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

10% discount on already cheap items, that's it really.

Cons

Terrible management, terrible organisation, hideous uniform, low pay rate, too much is expected from staff i.e. 6 staff work 96 cages of stock in 4 hours & must be finished otherwise they're not going home.

Advice to Management

I feel like management training could be much better, it seems like organisational skills and also communication skills are lacking. In my 5 1/2 years at Home Bargains I saw so much confrontation between management and staff, bullying from management to staff (myself included), preferential treatment of certain staff (i.e. member of staff had been working there for 2 months & was promoted over other members of staff more capable & hard working - because manager liked him better). On becoming a member of the management team, I then saw exactly what goes on with certain situations & would always make suggestions to improve but none were implemented. My personal experience was in a male dominated store & managers felt like they know everything just because they have been on training - really common sense would just do in most situations. It seems like most of the comments I have read mention flawed management, you'd think TJ Morris would get the hint by now!

T J Morris2017-02-09
  5. "Student looking for part time fine permanent, stay away"

Lead Sales and Sales Assistant

I worked at T J Morris

Pros

Other than the 10% discount theres really not much for this. Some stores may be better than others but the two I have worked at are very much the same.

Cons

Hard working staff are underappreciated while the ones who don't want to work but are friendly with management get to do nothing for the same pay. Don't follow their own procedures, one rule for one and one for another. They make rules up as it suits them and bully people in to thinking there's nothing can be done about it. People spoken to like they're something on their show (to put it politely) Extra time only given to the people they like. Progression chances aren't as good as they say as they move people up they get along with rather than people who can do the job. No rewards for hard work. If you are a student looking for weekend work then yes it may be ok for you but if you are looking for something more permanent stay away. I know every job has its downsides but I have never known a place like this before.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to start treating hard working staff with the appreciation they deserve. I worked hard in both stores over the 7 years I was there and left because the place drove me to illness. Their answer to this was that I would be better leaving as I clearly wasn't happy in my role. There was very little help other than this to try and make things better for me to continuing working with them. Once I had been told I had to move down from my current position after having my child ( I was happy about this as it would be less stress even if not happy with the way they said it) I was given jobs to do that I was expected to do in a higher role while the management team seemingly did nothing but wander and talk. I moved to a permanent role on one of the man aisles and have the majority of work for three people to do myself because the others refused to do it. Plus merchandising on top of this because management were too busy. Making friends is impossible if your not someone they like as you are not allowed to talk (plenty of other staff do this for 4 hours at a time) If you question anything you get snotty replies or shouted at, and they have no problem mocking their staff and talking about staff to other people. They are also quite happy to ridicule you in front of customers. Over all the last 3 years of my time in this company was horrendous, I still keep in touch with some and know it is the same if not worse. These stores need monitoring more often as decent people are being pushed out of a job. I stayed in the hope of moving back up again so I could try and help make a difference. Clearly they had no interest in taking me back in to management because, believe I would try to sort things out, which would mess up their cushy jobs. These shops have potential, please get people in to sort it out.

T J Morris2016-09-15