TNTP Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 13 Nov 2020

3.6
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg
Pros
  • "Most work from home but the work is quite organized with weekly meetings(in 11 reviews)

• "Smart hard working committed people(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is a challenge(in 27 reviews)

• "Work/life balance, contract-based, long hours - there were definitely more pros than cons with this organization(in 7 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work culture is very positive

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge

"Challenging Work, Great People, Good Cause, Long Hours"

2.0
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of ways to add value. Lots of great people in programs. Doing amazing work.

Cons

Management does not value support teams. Insanely long hours. No Work/Life Balance. Does not promote from within.

3. "Flexible working enviornment"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible location and work is great

Cons

Work life balance can be tough at times

"Great Company, Still Working on Culture"

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility, great perks, important work

Cons

Work life balance is pretty non existent. Sure, you can leave in the middle of the day to go pick up your kids from school, as long as you're back online, killing yourself until 10 PM and back online at 5 or 6 AM

"Top Tier Ed Nonprofit Org"

Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Like most ed nonprofits, work-life balance is tough at TNTP, but it has less "churn and burn" than similar orgs. I've been here for 4 years, but most colleagues at my level have been here for 5-10. Other places that I've worked have had really rigid tracks for promotion, but TNTP is a place that values keeping talented people, even if that means creating a new role or a hybrid role for them. I feel confident that as long as I'm proving my value to the org, TNTP will find a place for me, and you don't always feel that security in other organizations. - Co-workers are amazing - everyone is smart, hard-working, and mission-driven. Jerks don't do well here. You have to be great at your job, but also a thoughtful colleague. - Compensation and benefits are very competitive for our field. - I genuinely feel like TNTP is a reflective organization. I've seen changes (both big and small) in the time that I've worked here. No org will ever be perfect, but it makes all the difference to work at a place that is actively committed to improvement - both in terms of the work itself, but also employee engagement and satisfaction.

Cons

- The virtual working environment isn't for everybody. Most of us work from home and when most of your interactions with colleagues are via email/conference call/video call, it can take longer to really feel like you have meaningful connections with your colleagues. I now have coworkers that I truly love and trust, but it took me a solid year to feel that way - when you go into a physical office those bonds form much more quickly. - Quality of experience as a staff member largely depends on the quality of your manager. TNTP values developing strong managers more than most orgs that I've worked for, but there is still a normal variance here - some folks are outstanding managers, most are at least solid, and some are not good. If you interview to work for TNTP, don't be afraid to ask really direct questions to the person that would be your manager, because your experience as a staff member will be hugely impacted by how well you work with that person.

"Great Opportunity with a Great Company"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at TNTP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing mission, really talented colleagues, top tier leadership is very invested, accessible and open to ideas/voices no matter your level within the organization. The environment is data driven and folks are not afraid to do the hard work of changing things if change will ultimately help kids. I tripled my skill set and knowledge base with everything that I learned during my time w/ the company. I also made professional connections along the way that have been priceless in terms of growth and development, as well as super helpful in helping with my transition into a new role. Salary and benefits were also some of the most generous of my career.

Cons

work life balance and completely unplugging

Continue reading

"You'll work long hours, but you'll feel like you've spent the time doing something worthwhile."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TNTP

Pros

Fantastic benefits. Opportunities for very interesting work, depending on the position. Tons of flexibility to work to your own schedule and style if you are lucky enough to have a flexible location position.

Cons

The working experience at TNTP really depends on the position and direct manager. Work-life balance really varies by position. Some positions basically require employees to sacrifice their personal lives entirely, while others are busy, but manageable. (They tell you in the interview that the average week is at least 50 hours. This is no joke.) The quality of management varies enormously. People seem to promoted to managerial positions on the basis of their ability to meet their goals; actual management skills are evidently expendable. My own managers have been along the spectrum of terrible to pretty good. The culture is intense, and more than a bit arrogant.

"Work hard with a lot of great people"

Current Employee - Partner in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- mission driven organization - like minded people who are incredibly smart, driven and innovative - good benefits, competitive salaries - ability to see the immediate impact of your work - organization values candor, upward feedback

Cons

- work life balance can be an issue - many people work virtually which can be challenging

"Mission-driven, challenging, and rewarding work."

Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

There is a unique concentration of high-quality people at TNTP - I've never collaborated with such smart and hard-working colleagues. I've learned a ton working here, far more than any other company or academic program could have taught me. The flexibility to work from home is a perk.

Cons

Work-life balance is inconsistent across the organization - some managers do a good job protecting staff, but the org-wide culture allows some people's hours to get out of control.

"Good people; too much change and hard to feel like you're succeeding"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing, very driven and invested in the organization's mission to help all students get a great education. The leadership is strong and they talk a good game on work-life balance and supporting staff development, but it's not always realized in practice. Many staff work from home, which I really appreciate, but just know that it can be isolating at times and also it's hard to stop working...ever. There are good opportunities for growth for some, but not all employees (even those who do well in their roles) because more senior staff do tend to stick around a long time and there doesn't seem to be a real focus on helping talented people transition to new roles outside their core experience area when there are no growth opportunities within their current departments.

Cons

The organization has always been adaptive, but the pace of change over the past few years has been disorienting and at times demoralizing. Long hours are the norm and expected (they tell you 10+/hour days on hiring, but that can often be low) and it can be difficult to unplug. Given how hard we work and how much we care, it can be frustrating to feel like the organization keeps switching gears to keep up with market developments - it makes you feel like all that hard work has been wasted effort. It also feels like they are pushing into new areas of operation because they see needs and business development opportunities, but the expertise to deliver on those is not necessarily in place. The organization is in a really good place right now, but it's hard to predict how this is going to play out (which is why I rated neutral on organizational outlook and would not recommend the organization to a friend). TNTP has a a feedback-intensive culture, but it can be difficult to feel like you're succeeding because the focus is often on areas for growth. One year, I was incredibly worried about my performance (despite working 70-hour weeks for months at a stretch) because I got so much negative feedback. My annual performance review was mixed, saying that I'd met some but not all of my goals. And then I got a large bonus with a note indicating that I was among the very top employees that year. I almost quit multiple times because I felt like I was working so hard and still not succeeding. Don't get me wrong, the tangible bonus was great, but it would be nice if it was accompanied by encouraging words during the year so that I wasn't riddled with anxiety about my performance when I was apparently seen as doing exceptionally good work.

Continue reading