TOMS Employee Reviews about "giving trips"

Updated 14 Sep 2020

3.8
TOMS CEO Magnus Wedhammar
Magnus Wedhammar
Pros
  • "Great benefits including giving trips(in 25 reviews)

• "Great atmosphere, free TOMS Shoes, 50% discount, good work environment(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "No room to grow within the company even though they promise you will someday be part of leadership team(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management has no reassurance to offer as they're worried about their own jobs(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "giving trips"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company with Challenges"

Former Employee - N/A

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

Mission-focused brand. Great employees, benefits and perks. (Employees get to go on global giving trips and service project opportunities to help serve others, free coffee (barista style), free shoes, fun office space, etc.)

Cons

They hire amazing people and then hamstring them with self-imposed rules and processes they are very stubborn on changing, which in turn stagnates the brand as well as the personal growth of the employee. They rush to take public stances on divisive political issues they don't take the time to fully investigate. It often makes the company come across as uninformed on those topics and they end up losing customers/supporters. They need a consistent brand strategy and know where they want to go. They have often run after quick trends/issues that pivots everyone in a different direction on a dime without a clear strategy behind it.

2. "Great people"

4.0

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

Great people, very nice armosphere. I actually enjoyed going to work every day. I was able to learn a lot and take a lot of responsibility in my role. Amazing Giving Trip, and everyone really cares about the mission. Nice extra activities like Giving Tuesday and monthly drinks.

Cons

No clear direction from management at times. No room for promotions. Not so great salary Quite slow with a lot of processes.

"No direction"

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

Great benefits including giving trips.

Cons

Management seems to not agree where to take the brand.

"Nice people, Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuinely some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. Inspiring mission with a beautiful working space, good work-life balance. Lots of free product and a chance to go on a giving trip.

Cons

TOMS looks good on the outside, but once you are immersed in the company you see that it's saddled with debt and very poorly managed. Little to no room to advance or grow your skillset. Large amount of mediocre people promoted to unnecessary job functions. Leadership is not receptive to innovation or new ideas; they keep doing the same thing year after year expecting different result, even as revenue continues to drop. TOMS creates a false atmosphere of "openness" by having numerous all-staffs and suggestion boxes to encourage employees to share ideas, however no action is ever taken to implement feedback. Huge amount of bureaucracy doesn't allow for innovation.

Continue reading

"Best Company Culture You'll Find"

5.0
    E-commerce Coordinator

I have been working at TOMS for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at TOMS for almost 3 months now, and it has been an extremely positive experience. I'm told I came in after a time where morale was low and lay-offs unfortunately had to happen, so I was lucky not to have experienced that. My fellow employees that have been around for a long time say that the company is feeling the best it has in a while and everything is looking up. Free barista in the mornings, free work-out classes during the day, dogs all around the office. The best part though, is the team I work on. The entire team loves each other and is always willing to help one another. It's a very positive environment. I know that there are other teams that aren't as happy, so I feel very lucky to be a part of such an amazing team. The giving aspect is awesome. They're bringing back Giving Trips, and there are always opportunities to "give back" here, which is a great feeling. After a bit of a lull, I feel management is getting their "giving" vision back on track, and it will only get better. If the job you are seeking here is a part of the E-Commerce team, I HIGHLY recommend! Jim, the CEO, seems very involved and connected to his employees. He's always walking around and talking to everyone in the office, and is a great supporter of his employees' interests and goals. I haven't seen Blake (TOMS founder) much since I started working here, as he and his wife recently had a baby.

Cons

The only downside may be the pay. It isn't necessarily bad, but you're not going to make the big bucks at TOMS. I would say it's on the higher side for the fashion industry in LA. (of course, that industry isn't known for its big pay-off). Definitely not enough to be a deterrent from working here though!

"Need to address the leadership - the new team is concerning"

I have been working at TOMS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Giving Trips, Friendly people and environment - the mission of the company!!

Cons

Our current leadership is lost, starting from the top. The CEO doesn't have the strategic leadership to ensure that this business survives. The new leadership, while they have footwear experience, they have brought a huge amount of arrogance and refuse to listen to anyone.

Continue reading

"Was TOMS ever really what we thought it was?"

I have been working at TOMS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There aren't many anymore. Giving trips were the best pro to working here but they've been "temporarily suspended." You get free shoes (down to 4 pairs from 8 per year). There is a 401k match. There are a handful of good people left here

Cons

Since Bain has come into the picture the majority of C level and VP executives are no longer at the company. In some cases these positions have already turned over twice in three years. There have been a lot of layoffs over the past few years. Employees have been let go no matter what they've done or how long they've been employed. Women have been let go immediately upon returning from maternity leave. Quality people have been let go and jobs have been outsourced to more affordable countries. These are normal occurrences in corporate America but TOMS was supposed to be better than this. Was TOMS ever really better than the rest of corporate America? Treating employees poorly is not something that started when Bain came into the picture. Many years ago, at the peak of TOMS success people were still making an unlivable wage in LA. When the founder was approached and asked to pay people a little more so his employees could afford to live he said if you don't want to work here for what we're paying you then you can go work somewhere else. There are plenty of other people that want to work here. All employees were treated as though working at TOMS was some sort of privilege. With all that has been happening, the authenticity of why the company was started has been put into question. Was TOMS really started to make a difference in children's lives or just a social platform that was used to make a lot of money? The culture has suffered dramatically with all the changes that have taken place over the past few years. Co-workers used to be like a family and now everyone just seems so sad to be here all the time. For most of us, coming to the office every day was something we used to look forward to, now it's dreaded. The brand name has been tarnished by selling so much product in stores like Ross. Once you saturate the market with $20 shoes people aren't going to pay $50 for them. There has been irreparable damage done to the brand. Consumers dont value it as highly and it will take a lot of work to turn it around. And it will take work, it's not going to happen just because it's TOMS.

September 14, 2017CEO

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I see that you have been with TOMS more than 5 years, so I also want to thank you for all you have done to support TOMS and our mission. I also want to apologize for your being made to feel as though you and your efforts are not valued. In addition, I see that you still work at TOMS, so I want to make sure you know that I would very much welcome and appreciate the opportunity to sit down with you in person and have a conversation…assuming you are comfortable doing so. I agree that this has been a challenging time for all of us at the company as we make necessary changes to position TOMS for long term success…both commercially and in our giving efforts. These changes have all been made with the best interest of TOMS and our mission in mind, but I acknowledge that they have been challenging nonetheless. In your review, you pointed out further challenges on the horizon for TOMS which I acknowledge, but I also have seen and been able to broadly share the encouraging progress we are making in many areas. I will close with 2 thoughts. The first is this…in the midst of these challenging times, TOMS commitment to its giving efforts and its mission of improving lives through business has never wavered. The second is this…TOMS will only realize its full potential by fully engaging with and utilizing the talents of everyone who has chosen to be part of this company. I thank you for your contributions to TOMS and I hope that you will choose to be an active contributor to our future -- Jim

"From an innovative start-up to a stagnant private equity puppet...is there any hope left?"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

If there's one thing that both current and former employees can agree on, it's the people. Throughout my multi-year tenure at TOMS I've met at least a hundred people who I would classify as either exceedingly brilliant, genuine, kind, approachable, or any combination of these traits. I've been fortunate to be surrounded by such talent and even call a few of my peers as friends. These are the ones who, like me, were drawn to TOMS because of how disruptive and progressive its business model was in retail; that in of itself makes it incredibly easy to connect with so many people at TOMS across various levels of the org structure and disciplines. Most everyone came to TOMS because they wanted to work for a company that stood for something other than just hitting sales targets, or being featured in fancy publications; inherently, you're going to meet a bunch of folks at TOMS that share a common interest in making a positive impact on the world. And I can't think of a better way to bring working professionals together... Which leads to the next major plus of TOMS - the mission. Yes, it's real. And if you've never worked here but have read the articles online criticizing TOMS - the authors can go pound sand. Are there better ways to help communities than giving free shoes to those in need? Sure. Should we do something other than subsidize optical surgeries to improve the eyesight for the less fortunate that have limited or no vision? Maybe. But I can tell you the aid that TOMS provides is a hell of a lot better than being an armchair critic trying to tell a company how to run the philanthropic side of its operations. The famous Giving Trips are there to provide employees the experience of what our amazing partners tirelessly do day in, day out. These partners are the real heroes - they're the ones working out in the field in less than ideal conditions to improve the lives of others unselfishly. Do they need TOMS? Definitely not. But whenever our Giving team receives a thank you letter from the founders, presidents, etc. of these organizations expressing their gratitude of TOMS' commitment and partnership you can't help but feel proud that you work for the company that pioneered integrating philanthropy alongside a sustainable business. When you're on a Giving Trip and slip shoes on the feet of a kid that stares at their new pair of shoes in awe, looks up at you and smiles, then hugs you in the purest form of appreciation - nothing else matters, not even an online article trivializing the good that we do at TOMS. I guess the last positive are the random, less-important perks - coffee bar, dogs in the office, laid-back environment, neat office space.

Cons

So if you've read through all the pros, you must be think to yourself, "Wow, how can this person only give 2 stars? Are the downsides really that bad?" That's for you to decide. People - I know I just sang praises about all the amazing colleagues, and while that's true, there's also a fair share of either incompetent, apathetic, "I'm here to collect a paycheck," or any combination of these horrible characteristics that dilutes those that are trying to improve TOMS. Sure, I get there will always be entry to mid-level peeps that just don't care or know about contributing to the company to realize its full potential. But when you have this kind of riff-raff in the upper ranks like VPs and execs...set sail for fail. That's not to say there aren't any good leaders in management - of course there are. But all it takes are a few bad apples in key positions, making hasty or bad decisions because they don't know what's actually going on at the ground level and with a company of our relatively small size it's pretty easy to get up to speed on the details. The fact that these apathetic/incompetent leaders don't know who to tap into at TOMS to get the accurate data or info - that's a reflection of how out of touch they are with their teams or the goals of the company. Some of these "coasters" have since been ousted, but rest assured a good amount remain in the upper ranks. Onto a related topic...the current state of the company. I don't know what I'm allowed to disclose, so I'll play it safe and keep it general - we've made several bad decisions in the past few years since the brand exploded; decisions that have wasted unfathomable amounts of resources - time, money, and effort. Decisions that have cost the company and are still haunting us to this day. Decisions that have forced the entire organization to lose focus and always be in constant state of chaos. Decisions that have led to missed opportunities to continue growing the brand. Just...bad decisions. And the worst thing? Besides the fact that it's self-inflicted, it is never ending - there's a difference between fast-paced (recruiter buzzword) and chaotic (reality at TOMS). What I mean by that: most of the major projects we work on - there's little to no planning...want to know what happens when you don't carefully plan out a big, cross-functional project? I'll tell you - missed deadlines and budget constraints, frustration, gaps ("Oh I thought YOU were going to do it"), and in general a lot of finger pointing which ultimately leads to low morale. It's gotten to the point that pretty much all the executors in projects expect them to go sideways or lose steam before we even have the project kick-off, which is sad. Then it's just a vicious cycle because we need to work on the next project and because someone neglected to be accountable and plan out the milestones with realistic targets - again, it flies off the rails. Rinse and repeat. So what this long-winded paragraph boils down to is no accountability at TOMS. I'm all for giving people second chances but if someone is running a project or brokering a deal that if it goes badly, could represent a huge miss in sales or cost us a ton of money - someone needs to be held responsible and take a demotion, be put on a PIP, or something. But no - that's not very "TOMSy" so we let these key decision-makers continue to make the same mistakes over and over. You know what else isn't TOMSy? Staying in your lane and not overlapping, duplicating someone else's efforts, or creating redundancy. The problem is because the TOMS way is to let people come into their own with little to no guidance from a seasoned mentor, there ends up being 5 people trying to achieve the same result and doing it in 5 different ways without even knowing there were other people working on the exact same thing. And then letting people do important tasks that need to be reviewed/monitored because they have little experience in this area - I've lost count how many times I've seen poor execution because nobody was communicating or providing mentorship or asking for help. So what other companies call "exposure to a variety of disciplines" TOMS just really need to stop offering this and clearly define roles, or figure out how to better allow people to try out new things under supervision to ensure some semblance of quality is delivered. Also, this used to not be as much of a problem as it is now but there are too many cooks in the kitchen i.e. we're still too top heavy as an organizational hierarchy; decisions that should be quickly made so we can adapt take too long, and it creates this weird dynamic where it has to propogate through multiple unnecessary decision-makers and/or people who are basically pass-through (they provide no input or don't make decisions) so it's literally like you are setting up a meeting to tell someone something just so they can relay exactly what you said to someone else. But the person you told will probably misinterpret and there's all these translation issues where you are playing that game with cups connected with a string and when you hear back what the last person thought the first person said - it ends up being completely different! Then all the other cool, fun things we used to do as a company to maintain our culture and the friendly vibes - happy hours, annual trips...those are all gone. Bonuses are pretty terrible since they're tied to company performance, and merit increases are meager. Yes, these cost money and we're clearly not in the same position we were in 5 years ago but in the interest of disclosure to candidates - aside from the business model, there are no real perks and we're beginning to just feel like another company getting corporatized by private equity swooping in to set us up for a sale event.

July 14, 2017VP Talent Management

Thanks for your feedback, we’re always looking to learn what’s working and where we need to improve. TOMS is a very special place with amazing people all around. Change takes time and as we continue on our journey, we are actively working to drive accountability, eliminate duplication, increase efficiency in our processes and procedures, and increase innovation across our product line and giving. We encourage a culture in which you are able to freely discuss your ideas and concerns with your manager and hope you will take the time to do so. Thank you for your contributions and commitment.

"Great Mission, highly political, declining sales"

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

You get to go on a giving trip to different countries ( South Americas ) and submerge yourself in a local town or village and see the impact TOMS has on children with no shoes. Free barista, matching 401k, dog friendly, nice HQ with plenty of space. Great co-workers ( for the most part ).

Cons

There are clear favorites in every department or business segments. I've seen people get promoted every year or at least 1 promotion every two years. Others are overlooked, told they need to do more, but not given more work or opportunities to shine. So, basically how well can you manage up? How many meetings can you go to and show your face, put yourself out there, get known, build alliances with others so when they have their year end review, people say great things about you. The performance review is somewhat of a joke. I'm glad it is no longer discretionary and most of it is based on EBITDA. The company is running slim and there are still going to be some more layoffs. I still gave this company 3 stars because I for the most part enjoyed my time at TOMS. Every place is political, I just don't think you have to be an a%$ kisser to get ahead at ALL companies. Titles don't mean much just dictates your pay. A lot of top heavy positions, but not enough senior level employees to put in the hard work. Product is not that great, but they've put a lot of money on future seasons so maybe that will change. Lastly, at the end of the day, TOMS is a for profit business. They try to portray that they are contributing so much to help children, but they could easily just donate the money to those communities. People need food and water, paved roads, better infrastructure, not a pair of shoes which are the cheapest kind they purchase. It's the classic, give a man a fish, but don't teach him to be a fisherman. Change the give model to donate real resources and not shoes because it's 2017, A LOT of companies give back as part of their business model now!

July 14, 2017VP Talent Management

Thank you for writing about your experience at TOMS. It is very important to us to create a culture in which you can speak with your manager freely about your ideas and concerns, and if you haven’t already done so, we’d encourage you to take the time. Also, we’re hopeful you’ve had a chance to participate in or listen to the past few All Staff meetings where we’ve openly discussed the state of the business and communicated the short and longer terms goals for the business. We are actively working to drive accountability, streamline processes and enable transparency throughout the business. These types of changes require input from everyone involved, so along with your patience we hope you’ll make the effort to speak with us directly. Thank you for your contributions and commitment.

"TOMS is the real deal!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small but mighty, TOMS has an amazing team. It's truly impressive to see how much can be accomplished by a targeted group of passionate people who truly want to improve lives through business. Outside of the adorable puppies, slides, ping pong tables at HQ, this is a business that truly balances the work hard/play hard mentality. TOMS ensures everyone is here for the same reason, even offering "Giving Trips" to employees, placing true meaning behind the work we do every day. Simply put, I’m proud to work at TOMS.

Cons

Depending on how you look at it, some may struggle without a process or procedure around every component of their day. For those that want more of the same, this may not be the ideal company. For anyone searching for a way to utilize their business acumen while making a positive impact in the world, this is THE place to be.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 English Reviews