TOMS Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 18 Feb 2020

3.9
TOMS CEO Magnus Wedhammar
Magnus Wedhammar
Pros
  • "Great benefits including giving trips(in 25 reviews)

• "Great atmosphere, free TOMS Shoes, 50% discount, good work environment(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "No room to grow within the company even though they promise you will someday be part of leadership team(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management has no reassurance to offer as they're worried about their own jobs(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"A genuinely good company fighting an uphill battle..."

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time for more than a year

Pros

TOMS has a plethora of perks. Wonderful office environment, a VERY disarming leadership team, the "one-for-one" mantra, solid benefits and a flex work policy. If you're just starting your career, or looking to develop yourself in an entrepreneurial, problem-solving environment, TOMS is a perfect match. Expect a solid amount of autonomy and encouragement from your peers and superiors. During my time there, I found my Supply Chain superiors to be exceptional - especially the current VP of Distribution, Logistics and Supply Chain Planning. Was an honor to work for/with them all. Additionally, the former CEO, was an exceptional, caring human being. He will be missed dearly.

Cons

Honestly, not a lot of bad here; growing pains and a catty work environment. If it's one piece of advice I'd give, remain focused on your work, goals and the company mission. Stay out of the day-to-day office melodrama and, as odd as it may seem/sound, limit your work friendships. Remaining objective will be your sanity and well-being's saving-grace.

Continue reading

"Wish I never took the position"

1.0
    Former Employee - Planning Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free alcohol, free food, free samples

Cons

Catty work environment. No training. Poor leadership, no structure. Scatter brained boss. Too much gossip, a lot of point the fingers. Too many redundant meetings. Was accused of lying on my resume.

June 24, 2020Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We are really disappointed to hear that you had such a difficult time while working at TOMS and never want anyone to walk away regretting their decision to join our team. If you like to further discuss, please feel free to reach out to our HR team at Recruitment@Toms.com. We wish you the best of luck on your career journey!

"Great company to work for but no room for growth"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Venice, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TOMS part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work environment is amazing

Cons

You will not grow in this company

December 11, 2019Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concern with us. We totally agree that we have some pretty amazing employees at our TOMS Stores. In fact, we currently have many HQ employees who started their journey with TOMS in one of our retail stores. As we look to fill our open positions, the first place we turn to is our current staff and often do find that we have the right talent to move into a new role. All employees who are interested in a posted position are encouraged to go through the interview process. If the team feels that the employee is not ready to move into the new role, we view this a coachable moment to help our team member understand their development opportunities so they will be ready the next time there is a vacancy. Bringing on board an external candidate is not necessarily a bad thing - external candidates can bring a fresh perspective and infuse new energy in to a team. All employees are encouraged to discuss their career path and development with their Manager and/or HR Business Partner. Best of luck with your own career journey!

"Great atmosphere"

4.0
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TOMS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere, free TOMS Shoes, 50% discount, good work environment

Cons

slow, can be mundane

"Great Place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frisco, TX

I worked at TOMS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome work environment. I worked at the Dallas location and the manager there is super passionate about TOMS mission. Super engaging company and great cause.

Cons

I remember a customer telling me that employees should get a commission for how many shoes they sell.

"Great Company! Great Vision!"

5.0

I have been working at TOMS full-time

Pros

Great corporate culture and work environment. Very mission driven organization that stays true to the common goal of giving and making a difference in people's lives. Fun people and great place to come to work every day! Opportunities for career growth as we are always promoting from within and support internal movement across the organization.

Cons

As with any growing organization, there are associated growing pains. It seems that as new leadership is being established, more concrete goals are being formed and a clear direction is being communicated, alleviating some uncertainty across the company.

"Demand Planner"

4.0
    Current Contractor - Demand Planner in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at TOMS for less than a year

Pros

1. The people, THE people, THE PEOPLE! 2. Fun, challenging work environment! 3. "One for one" moto - the live and breathe it!

Cons

1. Lack of organization - hard to know who does what. 2. Still very "start-up." 3. Hard to know if you're really contributing to bigger picture.

Continue reading

"With Accountability Comes Results"

Current Employee - Employee Experience Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TOMS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TOMS is still very much a startup while being a mid size company. Both of those have very different implications. In one way we are still nimble and able to move quickly where needed. But, thanks to Bain and new leadership we have a lot of processes being added that are creating a much more efficient and effective business. If you enjoy a challenge and want to learn to grow as a professional, this is a great place with opportunities to do that if you are willing to put in the effort on your own. If you want an easy job where you can sit back, collect a paycheck, and have an inflated title this is not the place for you. TOMS is 100% giving One for One with all of our products which is our commitment to all. And, there are so many ways we are improving lives beyond that, through our employment opportunities, friendly work environment and perks, last mile budget (which makes sure we are not a financial burden to our giving partners), local manufacturing, and so many other ways that you can only fully experience by working here. Our leadership team is 95% full and stronger than any leadership team we have had in the past. And, our employees are committed to our mission and want to make the world a better place. I have had ups and downs here, but it has and continues to be a wonderful ride that I am incredibly grateful for. I have never been more excited than I am right now for where TOMS is headed.

Cons

There have been a lot of big transitions in the company in the last 2 years with people leaving and new leaders being added. This tends to create a lot of uncertainty, fear, and concern with your career path. We have lost some great people, but we have also gained some great people. These things just take longer than you would hope for sometimes.

October 3, 2016Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you for your detailed review!

"UX Design Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at TOMS

Pros

- collaborate with different teams - amazing, talented employees here - playful work environment - relatively relaxed environment that's a good balance between startup and corporate

Cons

I was definitely being watched at times, and this made me feel like I was in a slightly hostile environment. Though it's very laid-back here, keep in mind that it still is corporate.

"Keeping it real!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Marketing and Creative

I worked at TOMS full-time

Pros

The majority of my TOMS experience was magical and will forever hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately there are just too many cons attached to it. -Cool office -Free coffee -Free giving trip after 1 full year of employment -Dogs allowed -Great friendships -Free shoes every season -Occasional happy hours -Annual company trip (which ends up in pure drunken debauchery, peer pressure, leadership partaking in highly inappropriate activities with employees and employee hook-ups) -One for one mission

Cons

TOMS has lost its magic and gained a corporate america mentality while still running like a start-up. -Poor leadership (director level & above) -No accountability -Moral is LOW...everyone is quitting -Toxic work environment -Casual dress code but sorry ladies workout leggings and high cut shorts and dresses are not appropriate -Favoritism -Direction is unclear -Communication is absolutely terrible -Poor mentorship for employees who want to grow and develop -No room to grow -Pay is unfair and incomparable to industry standards (how are we suppose to support our children and families?) -They hire too many contract employees for too long -The founder of the company is focused on his own celebrity -TOMS instills fear in their employees -Huge lack of diversity -Lack of trust -Bullying is not addressed -Employees don't feel comfortable going to HR for a plethora of reasons -Big expectations with little to no resources; budget and head count are huge! -TOMS employees love to gossip -Layoffs continue

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews