TPP Employee Reviews about "flat hierarchy"

Updated 20 Aug 2020

4.1
TPP CEO  Frank Hester
Frank Hester
Pros
  • "There is a genuinely flat hierarchy, although more experienced people's opinions tend to be more respected than others(in 14 reviews)

• "The incredible sailing trips to the Caribbean and this year Croatia also (unsurprisingly(in 14 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "flat hierarchy"

Return to all Reviews

"Interesting, challenging, enjoyable work, with great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at TPP is an immensely enjoyable, rewarding experience. Everyone is extremely bright and hard-working and there's a great collaborative feel with the flat hierarchy and the fact that there's always someone willing to stop what they're doing and help you out, regardless of how long you (or they) have worked at the company. The work we do has a tremendous positive impact on healthcare and provides a constant stream of interesting and complex (but never overwhelming) challenges. The benefits (birthday meals, company-wide trips, pub tabs etc) are great and the pay is very competitive (especially for the region).

Cons

Occasional out of hours work - due to the nature of the business (real-time electronic healthcare records and decision support for thousands of clinicians and millions of patients) you can't guarantee that you'll be going home on time every day or that your evenings/weekends will go completely uninterrupted. I've still given five stars for work/life balance because the interruptions are genuinely rare and well-compensated, but for some people it could be a deal-breaker.

2. COVID-19

"Get in and get out"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Few companies are willing to hire candidates for all roles with no prior experience and virtually none with such a high starting salary. This means that your CV and bank account can look pretty good within a few months of leaving uni. The vast majority of people working at TPP are very pleasant and intelligent. Many new hires move to Leeds to work at TPP, myself included, so it’s nice to be surrounded by like-minded people and it’s easy to make good friends. It feels good knowing that the work you’re doing everyday is having a positive impact on society. I can think of few sectors more objectively ethical than healthcare. There are other superficial perks, such as bimonthly massages, free pub Fridays and annual recreational trips abroad.

Cons

All of TPP’s problems can be traced back to its CEO, Frank Hester. The man is deeply insecure and wants nothing more than a band of kowtowing drones to feed his ego. It’s apparent that Frank has few people to associate with outside of work and longs to make friends with his employees, though the feeling is rarely mutual. Several employees have spoken of late-night phone calls from him, which never have anything to do with actual work, but rather whatever happens to be on Frank’s mind. This alone would be a sizeable invasion of privacy, but throw in the fact that Frank is often intoxicated and/or looking to dig up dirt on whichever employee he is currently suspecting of dissent and you're looking at a CEO with absolutely no concept of what’s appropriate. Not only does Frank often make racist or sexist “jokes”, but he revels in his Trumpian filter and expects you to laugh alongside him. Failure to comply can be seen as grounds for dismissal. Virtually none of the longstanding employees engage in non-mandatory company social events, presumably to avoid having to socialise with Frank and risk getting on his bad side, however unintentional it may be. TPP maintains that it has a flat hierarchy, which is half true. There are no managers, only employees and a handful of directors. More senior employees’ opinions will, perhaps naturally, be considered with more weight, but you can approach most anyone you need to at any time and they will generally listen to what you have to say. However, some of the more senior employees and directors have some sort of superiority complex and it shows. Their word is final and their reasoning on matters is usually little more than “this is the way we’ve always operated”. Such reluctance to change is frustrating at best and detrimental to the company at worst. It’s a common occurrence to see a director or senior employee openly berating another employee, which fosters an environment where disrespect is seen as par for the course. The directors themselves answer only to Frank, who himself mistreats them, thus completing the pyramid of abuse. Speaking up about any of this can be seen as a reason to sack you, which brings me to my next point. The turnover rate is absolutely abysmal. Since September 2017, there were probably around 100 new hires across all departments. At a push, maybe 15 remain at the time of writing. On top of this, the largest team, the coders, has plummeted from around 70 to 25 in three years. The reason for this egregious loss of life is, you guessed it, Frank. He boasts how he once attended a talk and appeared to be the only attendee to agree when the speaker suggested that any employee who is not right for the company should be terminated. Sadly, it seems that Frank has mistaken “the company” for “Frank” and will ruthlessly sack anybody who is even suspected of being against him in any way. You are fully expendable, and Frank will admit as much, often bragging that he only requires 14 employees to keep the business afloat. Perhaps for every three employees that are sacked, one leaves of their own volition, but of the twenty such people I’ve spoken to, none would recommend TPP as a nice place to work. Employees are often asked to write company reviews during work hours, including here on Glassdoor and for The Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For award, which TPP are now banned from entering. While I can’t prove that several of these reviews are written by the same people, the similar rhetoric found time and time again would seem to suggest they are (perhaps there will be more verbose 5-star reviews dated after this review?). As for non-duplicate reviews, nobody will risk writing anything negative about the company at work for fear that a wandering director may spot it and end their employment on the spot. One of the perks listed here often is a good work-life balance. While it’s true that less than 40 hours a week is pretty reasonable for the salary that is offered, you are expected to be on call 24/7. This applies to some teams more than others, but suffice to say it’s hard not to think about work outside of work when it could phone you at any time. Given how many bugs make it into production code, late-night conference calls are not an uncommon occurrence. Coders get reimbursement for any hours they work outside of normal working hours, but the same can not be said for other teams, such as software support specialists or clinical systems analysts. The only reason I can think of for why this is the case is that most of the directors (Frank included) used to be coders themselves, so coders get special treatment. Many compare TPP to a cult, and for good reason. You are expected to pledge your unwavering allegiance to the company and to be a conduit through which the directors can enact their will. In your first week you will be taught more about the company’s idiosyncratic way of working than how to actually be a {insert job role here}. Not only that, but you are told to call others out when they make any sort of slip-up, creating a kind of autocratical informant culture. Certain types of mistake, such as writing bugs or failing to lock up, are rectified by publicly outing yourself to the rest of the company via email. Unsurprisingly, this does nothing to stop such mistakes happening again, but rather just makes people feel bad and causes unnecessary stress. Directors demand employees inform them immediately if they enter into a relationship with another employee. Their reason for making you do so is so they can make sure you don’t work on the same project to avoid distractions, but they expect this level of admission from any and all employees, regardless of how likely it is that their teams will ever work together. Employees have spoken about being interrogated regarding who they are friends with, because fraternising with ex-employees is a big no-no. I imagine the real reason for such an unsettling interest in employees’ personal lives is to have as much ammunition as possible against them once they unwittingly get on the directors’ bad side. Constant surveillance also bleeds into TPP’s way of working: you are encouraged to update your colleagues with what you are doing on a regular basis, as well as how long you think that task will take. While this may seem sensible on paper, in practice it means you’ll need a towel ready to wipe away all the moisture from your teammates breathing down your neck every ten minutes. Due to the very nature of estimation, you’ll essentially be setting your self several miniature deadlines a day and meeting very few of them. Therefore, you’ll go through many work days stressed and finish them feeling like you’ve failed. The atmosphere at TPP is very much that of a sheltered community. Many ex-employees are branded as “toxic” and are slandered in company meetings, with directors encouraging employees to bad-mouth people who were once their colleagues and whom they may still be in contact with. You are flat-out not allowed to socialise with those who used to work at TPP and being suspected of as much is enough to get you fired. If that doesn’t sound like a cult I don’t know what does. I suspect the primary reason that TPP predominantly hires graduates with no prior experience is because established industry professionals would instantly spot all the weird stuff that happens on a daily basis and leave soon after. This lack of context is further amplified by the fact that only a few computers in the office have access to the internet; apparently TPP employees know best when it comes to any questions you may have and searching the internet for answers is a last resort. Much of TPP’s reluctance to change stems from their deluded belief that they are the best company in the world. Frank recently claimed that the company was worth over £1 billion, which appears to be a gross overestimate if one takes a look at their public accounts. Company meetings are often filled with tirades about other organisations and how much worse than TPP they are. This same air of superiority extends to the way customers are treated, often being looked down upon as nuisances for whom only the bare minimum should be done. More evidence of TPP’s we-know-best attitude has surfaced during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. TPP has refused to follow government guidelines, requiring every single employee to come into the office every day, despite being in a sector that is perhaps best suited to working remotely. TPP has never invested in any infrastructure to support working from home and still has no interest in doing so, regardless of potential health risks to its employees. Frank loves to gloat about how much money the company makes, but is clearly not willing to use any of it to improve the lives of their employees past the odd event that looks good on social media. When questioned about their handling of COVID-19 by the Yorkshire Evening Post, TPP gave a limp excuse that staff have to work in the office, as the servers need to be extremely quick. Not only is this just untrue, as I’m sure would be evident to anyone who knows what a server is, but even if it was, surely it wouldn’t require every employee from every team to be in the office? To make matters worse, employees were not allowed to take their lunch break in the office during the pandemic, thus causing unnecessary foot traffic in the local area, potentially endangering its residents. Many of the above points compound on one another to create an environment of unspoken fear. Any day could be your last, as somebody is sacked up to once a week. To drive the point home, here is a list of outlandish reasons people have been sacked from TPP, in no particular order: - Complaining about how something is handled or suggesting that something could be improved - Not divulging aspects of their personal life - Being friends with ex-employees - Looking at Frank wrong - Being uncomfortable around Frank - Showing any sign of weakness during a stressful event - Being suspected of any of the above without any actual evidence For the sake of transparency, I don’t know TPP’s reasons for sacking everyone that they have, but the vast majority that I have spoken to fall under the above categories. Others have been sacked for the reason that they didn’t own up to mistakes or were defensive when questioned about something. While this may be TPP’s most valid reason for dismissal, it usually happens with those who have been employed for less than a year. The oppressive atmosphere does nothing to help such people feel comfortable and firing somebody after one mistake rather than taking action to help them improve is cold and cutthroat. The rest of the cons will cover the more technical aspects of working at TPP as a coder. You will be taught the basics of writing code and several good coding practices, but that's about it. Even the things they do teach you are drip-fed to you as and when you need to know them, so it’s really luck of the draw as to what you’ll pick up in your time at TPP. You will never be given time to just sit and read up on a concept. Apparently teaching you on such a need-to-know basis saves time, but ironically it likely ends up harming more than it helps in the long run, as you’ll constantly be badgering other employees to explain things to you. The codebase itself is ancient and it shows, with many arcane methods that nobody fully understands. This problem will never go away as time is never set aside to give the code the cleaning/refactoring it so desperately needs. Developers are referred to as coders, because you will learn nothing of the actual software development process. Industry standard practices such as automated testing, modern language features, build pipelines, containers, or modern version control are nowhere to be seen. In fact, the very mention of them is enough to get you sacked, as that would amount to suggesting that Frank isn't the utmost authority when it comes to software development. I had to spend about a month studying various aspects of software development to make experience mean anything elsewhere. Ultimately, TPP teaches you how to work at TPP, which unsurprisingly is not a skill that other companies are looking for. I’d recommend staying for around 6 months to get the basics of how to write code professionally and then using that experience to find employment somewhere better. The job security being what it is, staying any longer means risking being unemployed with a severely stunted skill set for the time that you’ve been working.

3. COVID-19

"It's really bad, because of the CEO."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time for more than a year

Pros

NOTE: There are several extremely well written reviews on this site that say what I would like to say much better than I can. Take the time to scroll past all the company-enforced 5-star reviews (yes these are enforced, I wrote one once upon a time that I've since deleted) to find those reviews where the only con isn't "sometimes it can be stressful and we have to stay late". Those are lying to you, and sadly probably to themselves (yes, I used to lie to myself that it was all ok - it isn't). -------------- I've generously decided to give 2 stars as no other company will offer such a high salary to people with zero experience. I joined TPP with no work experience whatsoever and learned the very basics of a very old version of a widley used programming language (see con no. 3). With a LOT of home study I was able to use this very basic platform to get a new job at a less abhorrent company, so things are now ok. This is the nicest possible thing I have to say about TPP.

Cons

• - First and worst, the CEO. I have honestly never met anyone quite so repulsive, and I had the fortune of not being one of his female employees. Look up 'narcissist' in the dictionary and there may well be a picture of this bloke - his absolute belief that his way is ALWAYS correct has left TPP in the unfortunate position where its technological solutions are so outdated it's basically unrecoverable (see below). His constant reminders that "I'm world class" and "I'm f-word-ing smart" go from being slightly amusing to far from funny. He and his number two both bully employees to their faces in front of colleagues, and also perform secretive "investigations" to gather sufficient dirt to fire whomever he doesn't like that afternoon. I've seen some of the nicest and brightest people I've ever worked with in tears, and others with their mental health crippled by this man. It's cruel, humiliating, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Don't work for this man, especially if you're female. • - Secondly, working environment. Because of the outdated technologies used, TPP is unable to hire experienced senior developers (regardless of salary) because they would have the knowledge to see how laughable the company is. Hence the staff are a mixture of graduates straight out of university, and people who've been indoctrinated and worked there many years. This is not a healthy way of building a company - ideas from experienced people from other companies would make a huge difference to life there, but instead the same troubling principles are recycled with each new batch of fresh meat in September. TPP has a big emphasis on "cutting through the waffle" and "everyone in the flat hierarchy will have responsibility". Sounds nice, but what it equates to is rudeness and having your colleagues breathing down your neck. Everyone is required to update a colleague every 5 or 10 minutes with what they're doing and when they expect to finish it by. Given the frankly insane time estimates given for pieces of coding work (I'm talking minutes), you will find yourself consistently missing your deadlines, then either coming clean and being berated or trying to hide the fact you've missed (understandably, given your previous beratings) and being fired down the line when the MD asks if you've been keeping someone updated with your progress. Fear and anxiety are rife because at any point you could be sworn at in front of everyone or called into a secret meeting room and fired for nothing. When I say "nothing", TPP will be sure to have a list of good reasons to fire you by tracking each of your tiny mistakes through bug reports and company wide apology emails (no I'm not kidding, that's seriously a thing) - but in reality you've been fired because you didn't laugh when the CEO made a misogynistic/racist joke, or stuttered when trying to answer a question from the MD. As a recent bonus to make the working environment extra special, employees have not been allowed to work from home during this year's COVID-19 pandemic - every other tech company I know of has done, because it's common sense to do so. Don't subject yourself to this physically and mentally dangerous working environment. • - Third, technology. This is really just an extension of point one, as it's the CEO's stubborn refusal to modernise that's left TPP in the mess it's in. The big one is the refusal to write automated tests because "they're a waste of time". The astronomical bug count would disagree that they're a waste of time. Testing is done through the form of a manual test that is performed once. This would be unacceptable in any tech company of the last 20 years, but in one of the largest clinical record companies in the country it's frankly terrifying. TPP are actively against many things considered standard in a modern technology company such as containerisation, CI/CD, or even third party code libraries. While I do believe unit testing is a sensible way forward for TPP, I do at least understand their reluctance given the spaghetti nature of the code base. Badly designed code often exposes itself in the fact that it's difficult to test, and I wouldn't know where to start at TPP. If you believe in any software engineering principles and have any engineering integrity, TPP is not the place for you. For any graduate with a job or interview offer from TPP, you may not be that familiar with industry standards; I'd recommend reading up on some basic software engineering principles and questioning either at interview or over email whether any of these are adhered to. If they answer with "we're not allowed to share that", I promise this is highly unusual for a software company - most are proud of what they are doing and use it as a selling point when trying to hire new developers. TPP must have great shame in their technology stack, and rightly so. Don't waste formative years of your career on this antiquated system.

4. COVID-19

"Do not work here - TPP has zero consideration for the wellbeing of their staff"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

The pros are plastered everywhere on the company's career website so I don't think I need to go into the detail of it here. (or refer to the fake/forced 5* reviews) Unfortunately, despite the good salary, the highly toxic environment sadly ultimately outweighs the pros of this job. Although you will get a chance to work with highly intelligent colleagues, most of whom are lovely, you will find that after you do leave/get fired, most of them will not maintain contact with you as you will be branded as a 'toxic ex employee' and hanging out with you becomes a sure way of getting fired. Future applicants - please don't get swayed by the high salary and benefits like I naively did - it's really not worth it.

Cons

I've spent a while thinking about whether it was worth my energy writing up a review but decided that I should as a warning for any new applicants, especially new graduates/jobseekers who require a visa. - The CEO is sexist, racist and knows no boundaries. Examples: Making jokes about how the girls in the account team will sleep with the developers if they got more code written, referring to female employee's oestrogen levels as the reason they are reacting a certain way, referring to a group of employees sitting together as the 'asian corner', CEO (at times under the influence of alcohol) calling employees at irregular hours for non-work related purposes - The so called 'flat hierarchy' is just a recruitment scam. - When I joined the company had high aspirations of moving into a new building and having 600+ employees. However, the numbers have dwindled from 200+ to under 100 in under 2 years, not only because a few employees have decided to leave but mainly because they decide to fire people without good reason. - Disregard for employee wellbeing Example: they have continued to let go of employees for no good reason even during COVID-19, they refuse to let employees WFH and have suspended and fired high-risk employees who asked if they could WFH, they still have whole company meetings without social distancing despite government guidelines, they are asking potential candidates to come in for face to face interviews (which they could easily do via video like every other company) + more (refer to other reviews below)

Continue reading

"A toxic company that destroyed my physical and mental health"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money and benefits were okay, but absolutely not worth the working conditions.

Cons

I want to be clear to anybody who is reading this - I'm not writing this review out of spite or because I have a chip on my shoulder and looking to vent. I'm well past that at this point - I left the company years ago now and have moved on to doing work I love. I'm writing this because I genuinely don't want anybody to have to go through the stress and anguish that I did because it took a lot out of me and took me a long time to recover from. I worked at this company for several years, and looking back on it, I cannot believe I stayed there as long as I did. By the time I finally left, my physical and mental health were a total wreck and it took about two years of medication and dedicated effort to fully recover. The culture in this company is absolutely toxic and it all stems from the CEO, who is not a man who is going to change his behaviour or that of the company in this lifetime. TPP has no respect for your personal time or abilities as an individual. They employ people with no qualifications and then expect them to pick up and run with any task despite having no training. I witnessed people suddenly being handed entire projects to manage at a moment's notice, being asked to design major UI elements with no prior experience, or put together technical documentation for parts of the system they had no familiarity with. Employees are expected to be on call 24/7 and come into the office for any reason - holidays and visiting family or friends are no excuse and will get you berated because 'this is what you agreed to do'. If anybody asks for a 'volunteer' to do weekend or evening work, you MUST 'volunteer' immediately or face questioning as to why not. No excuse is good enough - it's what's expected and you don't get a choice. Push back and they'll fire you (which you may find is a blessing in disguise). The company preaches a 'flat hierarchy', but the reality is that it's run by the people who are most 'Phoenix' (yes, they really use that term). What this means is that it's the people who are most at home with pressuring, bullying and confronting others who get to call the shots. Whenever somebody quits or is fired, people just say they 'weren't Phoenix enough' and tell everybody that they'll be fine if they just do what's expected of them. Once you're back on the outside, you see this behaviour for what it is - a cult, plain and simple. When you're inside, you're made to think it's normal to be blunt, confrontational, aggressive and to shame others publicly for making a mis-step. When something unforseen occurs, you will be expected to 'own up' to the mistake and 'admit' that it's something you should have anticipated. It's a cardinal sin to dare suggest something isn't your fault. TPP like to tell you that you will be 'empowered' when working for them, which is their way of saying they will throw you into the deep end with no training. How 'empowered' do you think you would feel if you were required to have every email checked by somebody senior before you were given approval to send it? How would you feel if you were told to delete sentences like 'Hope you're enjoying the weather' when emailing stakeholders because 'it's unnecessary and waffling'. 'Empowerment' for TPP is becoming an emotionless automaton who is loyal to the company. Speaking of 'empowerment', you WILL be micromanaged. At any time, somebody can come to your desk and fire off the following questions: - What are you doing right now? - How long will it take you? - What will you do after that? - How long will that take? - What will you do if it takes longer? - Who will you tell if it overruns? You will need to answer every question without hesitation. That's what 'Phoenixed' people do. You can also fully expect that somebody else will then come along and demand something completely different gets done and berate you if you try to suggest that you're too busy. You're 'empowered', which means you can't say that 'somebody asked me to do this' - you need to ~believe~ that it's the best thing to do and argue the point. Except if you're junior to whoever is demanding the work gets done then you will be wrong. And once you start doing their task, you'll have the same conversation with the original person and get berated again for not doing their work. I can say with absolute certainty that the positive reviews on this site are a result of the company demanding that current employees create accounts and leave 5-star ratings. You can believe they've got a list and that they are expecting employees to confirm when they've posted a company-approved review. The same thing happened with the Times 'Top 100 Small Companies to Work For' awards, which is why TPP are now permanently banned from participating in that award. I honestly could go on. I could go on and on and on with a hundred examples of the awful behaviour and conditions that lie behind the facade of nice offices and an attractive benefits package. If money and benefits are literally your only motivator and you're willing to be a sociopathic, obedient drone then that is the only scenario where I could recommend this company. For anybody else, ask yourself why this company is paying in excess of £40k for people with zero experience and ALWAYS recruiting. The turnover is staggering and the vile culture is to blame.

Continue reading

"Can get into the industry with no experience, but culture and lack of training make this an unpleasant place to work at"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Casual dress, bar tab friday, salary, most of the people are relatively friendly. No experience required, so all you need is a good maths A-Level and degree.

Cons

I don't think that any benefits would have made me comfortable working here. I read all the reviews as I was applying and thought "it can't be that bad can it?". The answer is yes. The way the flat hierarchy is implemented puts everyone in a pyramid of responsibility, and only really results in not being able to talk to anyone about problems with senior people as there is no impartial person to talk to. People get fired every couple of weeks for no discernable reason. One person I know was fired because "people were saying you're not the sort of person we want working here". You can't get comfortable because you have no idea if you'll be next to go. You can start with no experience, and get no training, meaning you have to pester other employees to help, and they are often reluctant as they have work to do too. Very high turnover, and recruitment seems to be slowing despite efforts, so most teams are shrinking, but still need to do the same amount of work whilst "training" new starters constantly.

"Can't imagine a better job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I’ve been a Software Developer at TPP for almost 10 years. Over that time I have worked on a wide range of projects, and learned loads. The variety of things I get to work on is one of the main reasons I have stayed in the same job for so long. I’m constantly challenged and never bored. It is great to work with such bright, motivated people. It is reassuring to know that whenever you get stuck, you can get help from people around you. The flat hierarchy means you are able to take on responsibility from day one, and it is great to see new people coming in and contributing right from the start. The pay and perks are fantastic - Yoga, massages, guitar lessons, free pub tab, annual sailing trip, to name a few. Also, the chance to travel all over the world, with the associated allowances for meals/travel etc while you are away, is great.

We work hard, but we are definitely rewarded for it. Although we sometimes have to come in for emergencies, we generally all leave the office at 5:15pm every day, and 4pm on Fridays. All my friends that have jobs with similar salaries are expected to work much longer hours.

Cons

Having to come in out of hours for emergencies can be annoying, but it is not frequent and the pay/perks more than make up for it. Due to the nature of the work, it can be stressful at times, but generally at a level that makes the work satisfying, not overwhelming.

"Best job ever"

5.0

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

I can honestly say I absolutely love my job. The flat hierarchy has allowed me to progress so much further than friends with similar qualifications. I love the people I work with and enjoy the fast paced way that we work. Yes the job is stressful but that makes it rewarding and means I can never believe it’s the end of the day. I always get to leave on time, and if it looks as though I’m not able to colleagues will stay behind to help so that I’m not stuck on my own. The way we work is definitely different to other companies, but don’t let this put you off. If anything it makes me worried about having to work anywhere else because it will be so slow in comparison. The rewards for working at TPP are fantastic, not just the pay and perks but also the fact you’ve got the chance to impact healthcare.

Cons

It can be stressful at times but support is always on hand

"Don’t be fooled by the 5 star reviews - find another company to work for"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

- There are some genuinely nice people at the company and I have made a number of good friends from working there. - The wage and benefits are great - You can visit some interesting places which otherwise you might not have visited - You do gain some valuable skills as you will have to juggle hundreds of things and deal with high pressured situations (or you won’t survive the company) - No two days are ever the same (that sometimes becomes a negative too though)

Cons

- The ‘flat hierarchy’ they preach about is a joke. It’s an illusion and ultimately a few select members of staff have any say in matters. Any disagreement with this will lead to sacking. - The senior management team are unhinged and have no moral compass whatsoever. They will fire someone for no reason. - The technology is outdated - Your personal life will play second fiddle to company priorities. You will he sent anywhere in the world with a moments notice - no excuse is good enough not to put the company first. - You will have to do forced extra curricular activities that the company sees fit. Again, no reason is good enough e.g. I have friends visiting and can’t come to work this weekend. - You will be yelled at and sworn at on an almost daily basis - You will have to become an expert at company politics to survive - They force people to write positive reviews on here - They used to force employees to write positive reviews for the Best Companies award. You can probably guess why they no longer appear in that survey... - There are dozens and dozens of other reasons but I’d be typing this review for the foreseeable future. Do yourself a favour, find another job (I did, and left on my own accord, not fired). There are plenty of other exciting companies to work for who won’t treat you like pond scum.

Continue reading

"Preys on naive graduate students"

in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP for less than a year

Pros

- The people you work with are friendly enough. - High starting salary. - Enticing perks.

Cons

I read reviews like mine before joining but thought, hey, how bad can it be? Leaving was the best decision I made. I've outlined why below: - The high salary is not worth the stress of working at this company. The job doesn't give you the opportunity to learn things that you can take elsewhere - except, maybe, how NOT to run a company. Because you are paid a lot, the management also think they can treat you however they like. Ultimately, it's a dead-end. - The training is pretty much non-existent. From the moment you start you are expected to be able to do the same level of work as staff that have been there for much longer, without help. Everything feels like an uphill struggle and much harder than it should be but you are made to feel like a failure if you can't do something straight away. I have worked at companies that train staff so that you get better at your job. TPP opt for the medieval method of 'Witch trial' - throw you into the deep end and see if you float or sink. THIS IS BAD FOR MENTAL HEALTH. - The flat hierarchy does not work. I turns into a blame culture with newer staff being fired or making mistakes needlessly. PLEASE DO NOT fall for the spiel they give you in interviews about how some people just don't get on get on with having no manager. When it's done right managers are there to help you develop. In this case, no managers = lack of development. - TPP prey on naive, ambitious graduate students who want a high starting salary. Don't be fooled. TPP do not invest in their staff - a lot of people get fired within a year without explanation. Everyone is replaceable as they know that next year they can trick a new haul of graduates into applying. - The CEO is incredibly rude to staff members in stressful situations. He does not apologise. He puts people down. He makes comments that are inappropriate, that are sexist, insensitive and racist in nature, and made me feel uncomfortable whilst I worked there. - The work like balance is terrible. The perks are not worth it.

Found 33 reviews