TPP Employee Reviews about "positive reviews"

Updated Jul 7, 2021

Found 15 of over 236 reviews

2.2
TPP CEO  Frank Hester
Frank Hester
Pros
  • "I'd genuinely recommend working at TPP to anyone who's looking for a truly rewarding job where you feel like you're making a real difference(in 21 reviews)

• "high starting salary when you start(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The so called 'flat hierarchy' is just a recruitment scam(in 20 reviews)

• "Due to the fake positive reviews, it can be hard to judge the truth but I can assure you that the negative reviews are sadly all true(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on

Tech

111.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=TPP~830252
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "positive reviews"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A cult

Mar 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free bacon sandwich on a Friday Free fruit You will learn how to NOT behave in a working environment and how NOT to treat people

Cons

This place is absolutely vile. When I applied for the job I was advised by a few people who had worked there (and swiftly left) not to apply. I thought - it can't be that bad, they are clearly just not competent and/or hard working. So off I skipped to my interview. I though it was a little bit weird, the CEO was a bit strange, but still I went in, excited to be working in an up and coming fast paced business. This was the single biggest mistake of my life. The CEO and his little minions are bullies. They will belittle you, humiliate you and drain the life out of you. Week in week out I saw people left in tears. Fortunately I managed to keep out of their way, I pretended that I bought into their "values", kept my head down and said yes/no like a robot when spoken to. 3 months after starting, I got off the bus, walked into the office and quit. I had no other job lined up, bills to pay out, but I would rather have been homeless than worked there any longer. How they haven't been taken through an employment tribunal yet I don't know. Maybe everyone who escapes is just so happy to be free they don't think twice about it. And to the people who work there and have been coerced into writing positive reviews on here, these negative reviews are not written by liars - we have no reason to lie, you have every reason to lie and write your positive reviews - you'll lose your job if you don't ;) If this review puts off just one person from applying to this cult, it will be worth the 5 minutes of my time it took me!

40 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

As many reviews advised, please avoid

Jul 7, 2021 - Business Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

No Pros whatsoever if you are thinking about long term career outlook Met many good friends at TPP, who've mostly left now

Cons

I'm writing this review because I know that many new graduates are still attracted by the starting salary and reach out to me on LinkedIn to ask about my experience. Due to the fake positive reviews, it can be hard to judge the truth but I can assure you that the negative reviews are sadly all true. 1. Working here will not teach you transferable skills for the next role, which becomes a serious problem for a business analyst after the two year mark (when you'll start being considered experienced hire). If you want to build an exist strategy, which you definitely will given the level of job insecurity and emotional abuse at TPP, it can be difficult trying to juggle 9-5 and retraining yourself for the next role. The technology used at TPP is too archaic to go into details, you don't learn anything about data base, agile methodologies or general technology terms - if you want to continue working in tech industry, most of the things you learn here can't be reused. 2. By the time I was made to leave the company shrunk in size so much so that the workload was becoming unmanageable. As it's continuing to fire people (with zero logic) I can only imagine this issue has aggravated. 3. Serious knowledge gap about software features, integrations etc. Which means that it takes ages to investigate an aspect of the system before actually making developments to it. 4. TPP has banned new grads from living together because they could devise a scheme against the company / when one person is fired it could influence the opinion about the company for housemates. This is just one example of how the company intrudes into your personal life, violates privacy and fails to trust its employees. Given that you will probably relocate to Leeds suburbs for this job, the experience can be isolating and depressing. 5. Racist, sexist remarks made by CEO which I've internalised because I knew if I spoke up about it, I would be fired on the spot. It's something that I feel uneasy about even now. I wish I was bold enough to correct him (although I know he wouldn't be willing to listen), I can go on and on but I hope this review, combined with other reviews give a good picture of what it's like to work at TPP. It's been eight months since I've been fired and I've now found a new job that I enjoy with a compensation package that matches TPP's. I'm not writing this review out of resentment because I do think everything happens for a reason and my time at TPP helped me realise that company values / how I'm treated as an employee are more important than salary / benefits. But I really do hope that new grads avoid this place for their benefit!!!!!

36 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

If you value your long term Mental Health - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Feb 26, 2021 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

High starting salary but when you realise the pressure on you it’s not worth it.

Cons

From day one you will be expected to perform high pressure tasks without showing any form of emotion - just pure dedication to TPP and their cause. Emotion = weakness and weakness = being sacked. They will lure you in with pub fridays, free holidays and swanky office space but it’s a trap - the office is always empty - a rotating door of staff being hired and then leaving/being sacked for the smallest of reasons. You hear horror stories of previous staff being sacked for touching the glass (yes that is a big No No), for not interrupting a meeting confidently and even for not getting the CEO’s egg yolk right on the sandwich run! I read negative reviews before I started and ignored them - PLEASE DONT! This place is toxic and will damage your long term mental health, all positive reviews come from people working there as they are asked (bullied) to write a positive review whilst still employed by them so their overall score isn’t an accurate reflection. They ask all staff to relocate to live within a short distance of their offices, if it doesn’t work out then you are trapped living close to to all TPP staff who will not acknowledge you on the street for fear of being associated with an ex TPP person. This can be so damaging to people leaving so far away from any support, I personally witnessed this during my time there and know many ex employees that are suffering with their Mental Health because of this company. Do your research, if you’re moving to Leeds anyway there are other companies that might not pay as well initially but they are ran by nice people and will support your growth.

31 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A toxic company that destroyed my physical and mental health

May 27, 2020 - Systems Analyst in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The money and benefits were okay, but absolutely not worth the working conditions.

Cons

I want to be clear to anybody who is reading this - I'm not writing this review out of spite or because I have a chip on my shoulder and looking to vent. I'm well past that at this point - I left the company years ago now and have moved on to doing work I love. I'm writing this because I genuinely don't want anybody to have to go through the stress and anguish that I did because it took a lot out of me and took me a long time to recover from. I worked at this company for several years, and looking back on it, I cannot believe I stayed there as long as I did. By the time I finally left, my physical and mental health were a total wreck and it took about two years of medication and dedicated effort to fully recover. The culture in this company is absolutely toxic and it all stems from the CEO, who is not a man who is going to change his behaviour or that of the company in this lifetime. TPP has no respect for your personal time or abilities as an individual. They employ people with no qualifications and then expect them to pick up and run with any task despite having no training. I witnessed people suddenly being handed entire projects to manage at a moment's notice, being asked to design major UI elements with no prior experience, or put together technical documentation for parts of the system they had no familiarity with. Employees are expected to be on call 24/7 and come into the office for any reason - holidays and visiting family or friends are no excuse and will get you berated because 'this is what you agreed to do'. If anybody asks for a 'volunteer' to do weekend or evening work, you MUST 'volunteer' immediately or face questioning as to why not. No excuse is good enough - it's what's expected and you don't get a choice. Push back and they'll fire you (which you may find is a blessing in disguise). The company preaches a 'flat hierarchy', but the reality is that it's run by the people who are most 'Phoenix' (yes, they really use that term). What this means is that it's the people who are most at home with pressuring, bullying and confronting others who get to call the shots. Whenever somebody quits or is fired, people just say they 'weren't Phoenix enough' and tell everybody that they'll be fine if they just do what's expected of them. Once you're back on the outside, you see this behaviour for what it is - a cult, plain and simple. When you're inside, you're made to think it's normal to be blunt, confrontational, aggressive and to shame others publicly for making a mis-step. When something unforseen occurs, you will be expected to 'own up' to the mistake and 'admit' that it's something you should have anticipated. It's a cardinal sin to dare suggest something isn't your fault. TPP like to tell you that you will be 'empowered' when working for them, which is their way of saying they will throw you into the deep end with no training. How 'empowered' do you think you would feel if you were required to have every email checked by somebody senior before you were given approval to send it? How would you feel if you were told to delete sentences like 'Hope you're enjoying the weather' when emailing stakeholders because 'it's unnecessary and waffling'. 'Empowerment' for TPP is becoming an emotionless automaton who is loyal to the company. Speaking of 'empowerment', you WILL be micromanaged. At any time, somebody can come to your desk and fire off the following questions: - What are you doing right now? - How long will it take you? - What will you do after that? - How long will that take? - What will you do if it takes longer? - Who will you tell if it overruns? You will need to answer every question without hesitation. That's what 'Phoenixed' people do. You can also fully expect that somebody else will then come along and demand something completely different gets done and berate you if you try to suggest that you're too busy. You're 'empowered', which means you can't say that 'somebody asked me to do this' - you need to ~believe~ that it's the best thing to do and argue the point. Except if you're junior to whoever is demanding the work gets done then you will be wrong. And once you start doing their task, you'll have the same conversation with the original person and get berated again for not doing their work. I can say with absolute certainty that the positive reviews on this site are a result of the company demanding that current employees create accounts and leave 5-star ratings. You can believe they've got a list and that they are expecting employees to confirm when they've posted a company-approved review. The same thing happened with the Times 'Top 100 Small Companies to Work For' awards, which is why TPP are now permanently banned from participating in that award. I honestly could go on. I could go on and on and on with a hundred examples of the awful behaviour and conditions that lie behind the facade of nice offices and an attractive benefits package. If money and benefits are literally your only motivator and you're willing to be a sociopathic, obedient drone then that is the only scenario where I could recommend this company. For anybody else, ask yourself why this company is paying in excess of £40k for people with zero experience and ALWAYS recruiting. The turnover is staggering and the vile culture is to blame.

88 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Seriously? Don't Be Misled by Stellar Reviews ...

Oct 30, 2018 - Senior Software Engineer in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good starting salary and free stuff, but that's pretty much it. You need to carefully look at all the reviews here on Glassdoor, don't fall for the hype.

Cons

TPP is toxic. Management, especially at the top is awful. The culture here is of fear and yelling. Unless you are inner circle, you can be fired at any moment. Now, before you dismiss me as a disgruntled employee, TAKE A REALLY CLOSE LOOK at the huge number (20+) of positive reviews in the last month. Why so many? Far more than in previous months. Why, because people were TOLD to write them as the CEO and company ratings were dropping like a stone. Look carefully at other reviews and you'll see what this place is really like. Avoid it like the plague - I have a medical condition that prevents me leaving as I will lose my health cover, but as soon as that's done I'm quitting.

57 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee

Unsupportive and deeply stressful environment

Nov 2, 2018 - Account Manager in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with talented people. Generous package for those who can handle the working conditions.

Cons

I was staggered to see the company have such a good review on here, but after experiencing managers 'encouraging' staff to leave positive reviews on other platforms and the generic 5 star reviews on here, maybe it is not too surprising. I can only speak from my experience, but I know others feel the same. The treatment of staff here is terrible - I have worked in a few companies so I know how bad TPP was. The company offers generous packages to attract graduates but end up losing most of them because the conditions are sometimes intolerable (being ridiculed sworn at in front of team members etc). The work is interesting, but my team environment was toxic and made me dread going to work each day. My advice to any graduate thinking of joining TPP would be think carefully and don't be fooled by their incentives.

41 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

Don’t be fooled by the 5 star reviews - find another company to work for

Oct 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There are some genuinely nice people at the company and I have made a number of good friends from working there. - The wage and benefits are great - You can visit some interesting places which otherwise you might not have visited - You do gain some valuable skills as you will have to juggle hundreds of things and deal with high pressured situations (or you won’t survive the company) - No two days are ever the same (that sometimes becomes a negative too though)

Cons

- The ‘flat hierarchy’ they preach about is a joke. It’s an illusion and ultimately a few select members of staff have any say in matters. Any disagreement with this will lead to sacking. - The senior management team are unhinged and have no moral compass whatsoever. They will fire someone for no reason. - The technology is outdated - Your personal life will play second fiddle to company priorities. You will he sent anywhere in the world with a moments notice - no excuse is good enough not to put the company first. - You will have to do forced extra curricular activities that the company sees fit. Again, no reason is good enough e.g. I have friends visiting and can’t come to work this weekend. - You will be yelled at and sworn at on an almost daily basis - You will have to become an expert at company politics to survive - They force people to write positive reviews on here - They used to force employees to write positive reviews for the Best Companies award. You can probably guess why they no longer appear in that survey... - There are dozens and dozens of other reasons but I’d be typing this review for the foreseeable future. Do yourself a favour, find another job (I did, and left on my own accord, not fired). There are plenty of other exciting companies to work for who won’t treat you like pond scum.

37 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0

Sinking ship?

Sep 20, 2017 - Graduate Analyst in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Above market rate salaries - think this is the case for all teams. * Generally speaking people are friendly and competent. * Fantastic purpose built new offices in a nice suburb of Leeds. * Free on site parking. * Good perks such as generous holiday allowance and a free birthday meal. * I learnt a fair bit in my time there. * You will earn an awful lot of airmiles!

Cons

* Incredibly disorganised management which leads to a lot of unnecessary stress and general confusion. * Worrying lack of focus on their UK customers (the only market that pays the bills). They will only do the bare minimum development to their UK products (fix dangerous bugs for example) and seem to have completely given up on innovation. This is difficult for people in customer facing roles as you will inevitably spend much of your time delivering bad news to increasingly unhappy people. Scandalous really when you consider it is UK tax payer money that makes up the bulk of their turnover and you would of expected at least some of that to be invested back into their NHS systems. * The only focus of the company is chasing more lucrative markets overseas. Great if you want to travel an awful lot at minimal notice, not so great if you have any other responsibilities outside of work such as young children. Definitely does not provide a good work/life balance. * They don't seem to be experiencing a great deal of success overseas (at least when I left). Although I guess such things are never going to happen overnight, they have now been plugging away at this for about 5 years at I'm sure great financial cost to the company. * Staff forced to write overly positive reviews on sites like this one. Ask yourselves why TPP placed highly for years in the Sunday Times top 100 companies to work for list and now are no longer even in the running? It was actually the recent string of heavily positive reviews posted here earlier this year (wonder what happened there) that prompted me to post about my previous experiences. * Very high staff turnover - both new and old people. This made for quite an unsettling environment as you never quite knew who would be off next. * Contrary to equal oppertunity employment legislation, the company only ever hire recent graduates for most of their teams. This is great for graduates but not so good when many of your experienced staff are disappearing and you desperately need people with practiced skills/techniques. * Flat hierarchy was constantly touted, but in reality was not really an accurate description of how the company ran. Although you would have plenty of discussions and opportunities  to raise your opinions, if they were not the correct opinions you would be quickly rubbished. Basically only a few people held any real power/influence and if you were not in favour with them you weren't going to have a great time. Definitely a culture of favouritism existed that always made it quite a dog eat dog environment, so unless you're very ruthless and loud you'll probably struggle to stand out/get on.

28 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Would not recommend to graduates

Sep 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most people are genuinely lovely and it is easy to make friends (although as more and more people leave this is becoming less true). It’s great at making you an efficient employee and really helps you learn how to make quick decisions in high stress situations You get lots of responsibility early on (some people do find it too much and there isn’t always the right amount of support hence the amount of graduates that will only last days/weeks). The travel is good (although it is quite intense and can be last minute which lots of people complain about). The pay is good (although you will see people who have worked at TPP for 5+ years who hate it but cannot leave because they get too accustomed to the money) There are some quite nice perks, like Free Pub Friday, 2 weeks off at Christmas, a week’s holiday sailing and little things such as ice creams in the summer, random early finishes to go to the pub.

Cons

Some people do not believe in the flat hierarchy and will still treat you as if they are your team leader, which is annoying. A handful of people are not very nice (these always seem to be people who have worked at TPP for 10 years+) and take things like ‘Mistakes Made’ (which is supposed to be and can be helpful) too far and make it humiliating – especially for new graduates. However, I should stress this is ONLY a handful, most people are lovely. Senior management isn’t great. They do not seem to have management skills- they just do what they think is best and this is often wasting time shouting at employees/threatening to fire them, rather than helping them out of a tough situation. I found it was rare that they would listen to you. I have sat in many a meeting where someone has had an opposing opinion to senior management, and you get manipulated into agreeing with them (these meetings also waste precious company time and are very awkward to sit through). The inappropriate ‘jokes’ are also awful. Management genuinely do not believe what they are saying is wrong, and fail to see everyone around them getting offended or cringing, which makes it even worse. No official training – everyone is trained in-house. This means depending on which team you get put in, the quality of training varies massively. This leaves you with a lack of transferrable skills for other positions elsewhere (and TPP is not a ‘forever job’ so you will need to be employable to other companies). The company really does not seem to care about the UK market, which is the vast majority of its customer base. All money and resource is thrown on to international projects, which leaves the account team and analysts having to constantly deliver disappointing messages to long term customers, and getting the brunt of their frustration. Constantly pressured to write positive things online about the company and fill out questionnaires positively so they win awards. TPP has a lifetime ban from the Times Top 100 Companies for this. This is also why positive reviews on sites like these all happen around the same time. While I do not regret my time at TPP, I would recommend graduates to only take this job as a last resort, and spend your time saving as much of your salary as possible and train yourself up in your free time. This is not a forever job so you need to be prepared to leave at anytime. Also, prepare yourself to be fired at any point in your probation (with little warning). Once you survive the first 6 months, you are normally fine. Stay no longer than 2 years if you want to forge a successful career. Since leaving, I have definitely become wiser to how a successful tech company should run and TPP is not it.

31 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Some Good, Much Bad

Jun 8, 2017 - Software Developer in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits. A lot of the people working there are very bright. If you are the sort of person who is very personally ambitious you will likely fit in there. Stuff does get done and you will be given the opportunity to develop your skills.

Cons

Management are never wrong (or believe they are never wrong). Claim to be fast paced which basically means they are very liable to change their mind about what they are doing at any point in time. Aren't honest with themselves about the company flaws. In any kind of review (like on here) employees are 'strongly encouraged' to provide positive reviews and any negative view will likely result in an inquest about who didn't tow the company line. As a software house they are very behind the times and reluctant to use industry standard tools meaning that an employee is likely less skilled up than they would be in another company.

23 people found this review helpful