Tableau Software "company is growing" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Tableau Software Employee Reviews about "company is growing"

Updated 8 Nov 2019

3.7
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky
Pros
  • "Great product that customers love(in 80 reviews)

• "This is the first job where I feel like my work/life balance is valued and truly in balance(in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since the company grew so fast so quickly, we experienced many growing pains along the way(in 50 reviews)

• "The company is growing at a good pace, however we need more space for everyone(in 25 reviews)

Reviews about "company is growing"

Return to all Reviews

"Awesome company, outstanding product."

Current Employee - Sales Area Manager Senior in London, England

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good product to sell. Good company to work for.

Cons

No life - work balance. Typical pain for very fast growing company. Getting promotion internally could be difficult. Company more focused to bring someone from outside rather than internal promotion, hense we see more and more resignations.

Tableau Software2016-01-23
  2. "great company"

Current Employee - GAM in Paris

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

culture, people, product, work balance,

Cons

challenging of a growing company

Tableau Software2019-11-08

"Great Work Life Balance and Opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

* My manager is one of the best I've had. They embody the mindset of using projects to grow the team, as opposed to using people to get projects done. I respect that a lot and see people on my team growing as a result. * People are really nice over here. They're all professional and support each other. It feels like the teams are working together rather than competing against each other. * Work life balance is amazing. 3 weeks starting vacation, lots of sick days, meetings are usually scheduled to start/end between 10-5.

Cons

* The company is growing at a good pace, however we need more space for everyone. You won't be sharing your desk with another person, but you may have to deal with finding your own parking spot if you drive.

Advice to Management

* Keep on driving the team spirit. I believe there's a lot of good coming out of the teams that are pulling Tableau forward for our customers. * Don't let the innovative ideas from our hackathons go to waste.

Tableau Software2019-03-16

"I LOVE being at Tableau"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, humble smart people. Plenty of opportunities for personal growth and improving how things work. I feel lucky and proud to be part of the journey

Cons

It’s a growing company- you’ve got to be ok with change and ambiguity. IMHO though, that’s a great problem to have.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to folks at all levels, and lead by example

Tableau Software2019-02-27
  5. "Accounts Receivable Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Tableau Software

Pros

great office with many perks (food and drinks, game lounge, etc) and casual work environment

Cons

Growing company thus a work in progress in many aspects

Advice to Management

micro level engagement within departments

Tableau Software2018-08-27

"Senior Deal Desk Coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Deal Desk Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tableau has a great culture that brings in many like minded people with many different skill sets. Everyone seems to want to make the company better and pitch in wherever they can, which is easy to thrive off of.

Cons

In any growing company there is a lot of work to be done, and you must be willing to pick up new roles and responsibilities in order to keep things running. This can often lead to new opportunities though.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice to management at this time. I have been very happy here and trust that my management will be there to help me whenever help is needed.

Tableau Software2016-07-29
  7. "Working at Tableau"

I have been working at Tableau Software

Pros

Benefits are great, the culture is great, and people are smart and down to earth

Cons

Because the company is growing so fast get ready for change

Advice to Management

Increase pay

Tableau Software2016-06-28

"Very happy to be there!"

I worked at Tableau Software

Pros

Very solid engineering culture, approachable management, and collaborative colleagues. They definitely take the time to ramp you up and make you feel welcome as an employee.

Cons

Growing pains of a fast-growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Tableau Software2016-01-28

"Work for DC office if you DO NOT like making money. YOU WILL BE POOR."

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people. Cool product. Nice managers. Hardworking people. Free healthcare. Good location. Great benefits (which are counteracted with HORRIBLE pay). Great 2 week orientation in Seattle. Nice office space.

Cons

Pay insulting. Even if you calculate in the benefits including the stock options/healthcare you will still take a significant pay cut unless you are coming from a minimum wage job. Success is never felt. You will not make EVEN CLOSE to "on target earnings." Pay is WELL below industry standards and they will try to sell you on the added value of the benefits which when you calculate them out don't even break even with the lack of pay. Territories continue to shrink even though people not even getting close to quota. Constantly use the excuse of "new office" and "growing company" to cover up for illogical and unattainable quota. If you're motivated by money and success do NOT work here. Delusional upper upper management. You will be poor and burned out after 1 month.

Advice to Management

"Get creative" isn't a sales strategy. Push for higher base pay. STOP HIRING. This pay for DC is unacceptable and utterly embarrassing and you will lose good people.

Tableau Software2015-12-19

"Great potential, but majorly missing the mark with it's new office"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Despite the low rating, Tableau does have the potential to be a great company. The people are great. The product is great. The clients are great. The benefits are great, they pay for our health care and (sometimes) provide food. They give their employees a fair amount of autonomy, and send us on awesome trips, like our yearly customer conference and a two week training at HQ.

Cons

Despite the pros though, I probably won't be at Tableau much longer. And the reason for that simply comes down to the fact that I can't afford to stay with this company. Tableau's sales employees are paid far below industry standards. Maybe this salary (which is non-negotiable) cuts it in WA and TX, but it's barely enough to live on in DC. The low base pay would be tolerable if our commission structure made up for it, but sadly it doesn't. Our commission % is the smallest I've ever earned at any previous sales job. To top it off, territories are split extremely unfairly. Did they let a kindergarten class draw them up? And even those with "good" territories are still struggling as they keep hiring more people. Territories are getting comically small while quota is getting higher. Warm leads are drying up and the need to prospect is high but they refuse to give us the tools to do it. Now, I realize small territories and high quotas are a problem in any sales job, but I've never seen so many great sales employees so far from hitting their quota. These are highly motivated individuals, who have previously been very successful at other sales jobs, so to see these folks not even 50% to quota is disheartening. But even so, disheartening wouldn't be so bad if at least we could comfortably pay our bills. Honestly, not sure who from the DC office is leaving these other good reviews, because we are all pretty miserable. Morale is zero since we know that no matter what we do none of us will actually be making our promised salaries. My coworkers are all awesome and each day I feel like their talents are being wasted. Now money stuff aside, which is obviously the biggest issue among the employees, DC just doesn't seem to be fairing as well as the other offices. No one in the office is tenured, so no one ever seems to have processes answers or know what normal protocol is. Same goes for managers, they are just as green as their employees. There is literally no one to go to ask questions to, whether those questions be about something logistics related or personal progress, like normal pacing to goals. When employees have expressed this concern, management's response is always "we are a growing company and this is a new office, you knew what you were getting yourselves into". This is an insulting response. Insulting that they are insinuating that your employees "asked" for a lack of support, and insulting that they pretend Tableau is a start up still working out the kinks, when in fact it is a 10+ year tenured company which should have a detailed long term development plan. They seemed to have rushed into opening the DC office if things are this unorganized. Managers, in addition to a lack of company knowledge, each have extremely different managing styles. This leaves some employees feeling micromanaged, while others feel a distinct lack of support. There seems to be no middle ground, and perhaps managers lack the necessary experience to actually be at that level. The actual office itself is lacking, especially compared to HQ. Our free and fully stocked kitchen (which is a big bragging point for the company for some reason) is actually often without food! Most of us would settle for having milk for our coffee everyday, but even that seems to be a struggle. Meanwhile, Seattle has multiple kitchens and is always fully stocked with everything from snacks to complete meals. Don't brag about this awesome "benefit" if it doesn't apply to our office. Lastly, there is zero respect of employees time. Constantly scheduling meetings at 7am or after 5:30pm.

Advice to Management

Get some tenured people in the office! We need someone to learn from. And honestly, we need someone who is going to tell us it will be okay. Maybe this slump is normal but we have no way of knowing that (seriously hope it isn't normal though). Come up with a strategy to help us hit our goals, and also provide the necessary tools to do our job. Redraw the territories so they are more fair. Raise our base pay. Give us a higher % of commission. Give us more achievable bonuses. The pay needs to change or you will start to lose great employees. Train our managers. Give us equal benefits to Seattle and Austin. Listen to your employees and stop using excuses to ignore what we are saying. Don't ask us to work absurd hours without paying us extra for that time.

Tableau Software2015-12-22