Tableau Software Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 18 Jan 2021

Found 104 of over 890 reviews

4.0
Tableau Software President and CEO Mark Nelson
Mark Nelson
Pros
  • "Benefits and good work/life balance(in 89 reviews)

• "Great product & Innovative roadmap(in 89 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Since the company grew so fast so quickly, we experienced many growing pains along the way(in 51 reviews)

• "The company is growing at a good pace, however we need more space for everyone(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nice experience and family feel.

15 Jan 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and good work/life balance.

Cons

Since the Salesforce acquisition there has been a decrease in company culture.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, great product and good work/life balance

18 Nov 2019 - Commercial Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- This is the first job where I feel like my work/life balance is valued and truly in balance. Of course there are sales targets and end of quarter pressure, but that's not unlike any other sales position. - I usually go to work with a smile on my face because I know I will spend the day with a like-minded, fun and international group of people. - Customers truly love what Tableau can do for their company, which makes conversations fun. Because of the nature of the product and the focus of customers on data you typically have strategic conversations with C-level people, which (in my opinion) is more fun than solely speaking with IT. - opportunity to travel to territory for events and see customers face to face

Cons

- Tableau has transformed from being a scale-up to an enterprise company (and now acquired by Salesforce), which has brought about some cultural shifts and challenges (as evidenced by some of the negative reviews on here probably). Some promotions that didn't make sense and lack of promotions where they should have happened. There are now, however, visible changes in approach to professional development of employees. - same quotas for very different territories can skew the way success is measured.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

1 Jun 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

compensation, work-life balance, realistic to the market and conditions

Cons

nothing so far, everything improving after SFDC acquisition

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Best company I’ve worked for!

22 Jan 2020 - Marketing Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great working environment - Amazing product which is continuing to get better - Great work/life balance

Cons

- The best opportunities are still centralised in the US

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

6 Feb 2020 - Enterprise Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, great product, great work/life balance

Cons

Not always fair promotion criterias

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not worth it!

7 Oct 2018 - Sales in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A sales job at Tableau is usually pretty easy to get, just memorize a demo and you're in! It actually is a great product, so the conversations you'll have with customers are enjoyable. The office is cool and in a nice location. Work-life balance is good.

Cons

Since the job is so easy to get, you'll often find yourself surrounded by people that bring so little to the table that it makes you question your own career choices. Then there's the micromanagement, which one finds at every company with a few thousand people, but Tableau takes the cake; there are so many layers and so many "managers" that add absolutely no value (unless, of course, value is defined as lowering employee morale). Career progression hardly exists in the sales org. Sure, some roles have been created to be able to "progress" people, but the harsh reality is that there are not a lot of people that truly move up the ladder. What makes the situation more unfortunate, is that those people are almost exclusively the ones that spend more time on office politics than with their clients. Combine all of the above with pay that is well below the industry standard and you'll understand why a company with a great product and nice office has such a low Glassdoor score and why people are constantly leaving.

16 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

An un-biased review if you are considering Tableau seriously

20 May 2016 - Sales Area Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

So, I relied heavily on Glassdoor when I was looking for my next move... Microsoft, HP, Oracle, perhaps something more niche.... I considered an interviewed with over 20 companies and yet I ended up at Tableau. So I thought I might help others cut through some of the more biased comments for either side of the 'positives' and 'negatives' and offer a realistic insight. Tableau created and is now leading the visual analytics space. In one sense this is great because customers know who we are, love our mature and extremely powerful product and we have largely good processes and a streamlined sales organisation to help make the job of selling and buying the software easier all around. That said, with success and many years of hyper-growth, an IPO and stronger competitive threat, things have changed. It is no longer small, you now do not know every single person's name, the competitors’ products are better than they were and their marketing in some cases is fantastic. That's about it. I'm based in Tableau London and honestly, it's a superb office (but have travelled to three global office and the same rings true for all). You can approach ANYONE at any time for help (From my own experience this includes all the Vice-presidents, the CEO, Managers, sales reps and the great lady who is our front-line at reception and keeps us all organised!). There is so much humility and every single person hired believes we are stronger by helping each other so everyone will drop what they are doing to help you, train you, introduce you to someone who you should know, the list of examples I could give is exhausting. There's free breakfast and lunch in the kitchen, it's pretty good. There's a lot of options within a 3 minute walk if not. But this is a really solid perk. Complaints I've read on Glassdoor which I would like to offer an insight into address: Management Promotions Work/Life balance Hiring inexperienced people I'll deal with each in turn... Management This is the level at which I was hired. The interview process was six-stages, took over 30 hours (including my own prep time) and was as thorough for Tableau to assess me as it was for me to assess Tableau. The process is natural and fluid for people who are energetic and dynamic people who are enthused by the product and can articulate it. The product is infectiously visual and if you find yourself trying it and enjoying it (I never imagined I would use these words to describe my experience with software) then Tableau is probably for you. Promotions: Tableau has been fast-growing for a long time and there has been a lot of promotions as a result. This has resulted in a bit of an expectation for a promotion every 6 months in some cases, and compared to the real world this is simply not sustainable but more importantly appropriate. Promotions are something I think about and speak to my team about regularly so that we can look at what to work on to put individuals in the best possible position when a role higher up next becomes available. In mind this is a much healthier way to think and work. There are still a lot of opportunity for promotions and there will continue to be however, they just wont happen multiple times a year like they may have done previously, for obvious reasons. Work/Life balance: This is down to the individual. Everyone who works late or start early chooses to. Some days I come in at 8 if I want to get ahead, I often leave dead on 5:30 since I work hard during the day to get done what I need to and I enjoy London. I can see the entire sales floor from my seat and I do not see where people's claims to being forced to work late come from...? Not that many people do, and we're still doing brilliantly as a business (I write this with a Friday beer in hand – thanks marketing ) Hiring inexperienced people: This one comes back to my earlier point about the interview process, it's extensive and the management team I work with (which spans EMEA) spends a phenomenal time to try and find people who are friendly, humble, intelligent and dynamic (by that I mean, they are creative and think creatively about solutions to sales challenges). They are often more experienced than the industry standard at the same level and mostly want to work with Tableau because they want to work with a product they genuinely believe in and with people who are just normal and friendly. Training: There is so much training, an insane amount! Some is sales based, some about psychology, empathetic selling, product development, opportunity structures. Again, the list is very long and there is a chap here called Dan who has worked and been successful in Sales, marketing and another division and now runs ‘Discussions with Dan’ three times a week so that sales people can come and get ideas about how to get around roadblocks, account strategies etc etc etc. This is all on top of the initial two weeks you get when you first join, and then the team and manager-lead training that is performed on a team/individual level as required. The pay is good, not awful, not incredible. It kind of doesn't need to be tbh. You could earn more with companies that will treat you horribly and make you unhappy. You could make a lot less (and have far less opportunity to earn commission) in a lot of other roles. This is a great company and the pay is more than good for people who want a comfortable and fun lifestyle in London and globally. I hope this helps. truly. My advice would be to come to the Tableau office by the Tate modern and meet some of the people. You'll see what I'm talking about and probably be quite glad that you didn't necessarily take negative reviews on Glassdoor too seriously prior to making up your own mind, it's got you this far after all. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Cons

Every con that's worth mentioning is listed above and I don't think there's anything else I should add to this box.

23 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Sales Area Manager

13 Aug 2015 - Sales Area Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent Product Excellent Executive Team Transparent with Staff All staff are given freedom to be creative within their role Nice offices Management have strong mentoring skills

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult when meeting sales targets

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Operations

17 Apr 2017 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

not good work-life balance,

Cons

If you do your job well you get noticed and appreciated. The company culture is unique and very friendly. Great parties, travels and events.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, with genuine senior leadership, culture and values

2 Aug 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance Genuinely nice people at all levels A place I enjoy going to everyday

Cons

Growing pains, but that’s a nice problem to have

Viewing 1 - 10 of 104 Reviews