Taylor & Francis Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Nov 2019

3.3
Taylor & Francis Group CEO Annie Callanan
Annie Callanan
Pros
  • "T&F values work life balance more than ya company I have ever heard of(in 45 reviews)

• "The people are great in my team, good benefits, good work/life balance(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "databases were quite convoluted; lots of busy work; had to balance authors/editors' demands(in 21 reviews)

• "Low pay; constantly shifting priorities(in 18 reviews)

1. "Supportive Working Environment"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy working at Taylor and Francis because co-workers and management are supportive and goals are clear, challenging. Work expectations are realistic, meaning I can get my core job and some training completed within the normal working week, and meet targets, if I concentrate, prioritise and work effectively. Flexible working is encouraged.

Cons

It can be difficult to change preconceptions that exist within the team/department. Sometimes lacking in creative problem solving Very quiet working environment

Advice to Management

Invest in more digital experiences for customers (not just producing electronic versions of books). Make greater use of technology for 3D tours (similar to the anatomy concept but expanded to other topic areas such as architecture) Improve customer loyalty by having individual accounts where customers can track what books they have reviewed and rewarding useful title reviews (reward points)

Taylor & Francis Group2019-09-02
  2. "A great team, a good environment"

Current Employee - Editorial Office Coordinator in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are lovely - some of the best to work with - and the role is rarely boring. Work/life balance is sustainable (in lower level roles).

Cons

The workload oscillates industrially, which can be disorienting. Vertical payment and role progression is notoriously limited (in-company, at least; switching to competitors is common).

Advice to Management

Brace your employees for flexibility, and equip them to climb and spread rather than side-step or ditch.

Taylor & Francis Group2019-11-09

"Boring and dull"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Milton, East of England, England

I worked at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The pay for an Editorial Assistant is higher than average in comparison to competitors. - There are few time pressures and the workload is manageable, but I know that this varies from department to department and can vary considerably depending on the manager/job role (I just happen to have a very good one!) For example, in my department, as soon as you become an Editor, the workload and expectations increase... considerably and I know that some Editors work more than their salaried hours to meet deadlines - this is one of the reasons I do not want to be promoted. - The Sports & Social Committee work really hard to cultivate a T&F community and the AllInforma Rainbow Champions have been doing an excellent job of bringing LGBTQIA+ employees and allies together and raising awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues in the workplace.

Cons

- The work can be incredibly mind numbing and boring: a lot of my job involves copying and pasting information into spreadsheets all day, every day. - There is no clear career path and it also feels as if management expect EAs to get bored of waiting for promotion and leave rather than nourishing talent and encouraging them to move up to an Editor role. - There is vast inconsistency across departments in the... management of teams, work from home policies (Books get 3 days, Journals get 2, for example,but that is up to the discretion of your manager) and intensity of workloads. It really is luck of the draw, which I think accounts for the varying reviews on here. - Again, depending on the department, it can feel really lonely and isolating working at Taylor and Francis. The floor I work on is particularly quiet and the work I do is very individual, so I often have days when I don't speak to anyone or perhaps just say "Hi" and "Bye". If you like this kind of environment then T&F might be for you, but I find it depressing. - Money and profit seems to be the main objective for senior management. If you're motivated by making and saving money (I'm not), then you'll fit right in here! - There is very little to do and few places to eat at Milton Park during lunch breaks and very few spaces to eat in the T&F building, so quite a few people tend to eat at their desks.

Advice to Management

- Provide clear, company-wide advice for managers and employees about how to progress from EA to Editor to Publisher and so on to make career progression understandable and achievable to all. - Currently, movement between different departments, in particular between Production and Editorial (Books and Journals), is extremely difficult. I would recommend giving internal candidates an opportunity to explore other... departments and areas of the business and to nurture the talent you have rather than frustrating people, waiting for them to leave and then employing someone new and endlessly continuing the cycle. - Please review departments that are hemorrhaging staff to better understand why that might be and how you might go about fixing the problem.

Taylor & Francis Group2019-10-30

"Stay away! Toxic working environment"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Abingdon, England

I worked at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

**People, staff benefits, social culture

Cons

x Major restructure in journals and books editorial led to staff redundancies and jobs going to India office. Very poor, unprofessional execution of this whole transition with limited support for staff affected. x Remote international working means senior staff not present or involved in staff wellbeing x Stressful, toxic working environment and anxious editors working overtime is the norm to meet unrealistic... company targets x Development and mentoring for editorial assistants depends on line manager. Opportunities not always fairly distributed depending on workload x Corporate culture - quantity over quality approach to work x Admin workload means limited time for career progression x Books editorial staff not valued for input

Advice to Management

-Review the Editorial Assistant role, training programme and responsibilities -Line managers need further support/training on remote working -Staff need to feel supported during major global restructures and changes in the future -Reconsider the workload for Editorial Assistants and impact this has on work stress, mental health and wellbeing -Look after staff and value their input

Taylor & Francis Group2019-10-14
  5. "Decent"

Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are great in my team, good benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

Low pension, low salaries, location

Taylor & Francis Group2019-08-16

"A lot of politics you can't do anything about"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Oxford, England

I worked at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely people. On a day to day basis you will be working mostly with other women, who love books and have a passion for education and publishing. I had a lovely, very supportive boss.

Cons

T&F is owned by a parent company, Informa, and all management decisions come from them. I found that at my level and at least one level above me there was not sufficient sense of autonomy. There is a lot of politics that you basically have to 'suck up' - it's frustrating. Everything trickles down from upper management, who are dictated to by management at Informa. At Routledge, at least in Editorial, almost... everyone at entry-level is female. Most Editors are also female, but almost everyone at mid-management level and above is male. In other words, there appears to be very little movement opportunity if you are a woman. I found the work in this role heavily administrative and very repetitive after a short while. Most other EAs just get on with it, knowing that if they stick it out for long enough eventually they will get promoted. However, be warned that you'll likely see your male colleagues, who started after you, be promoted before you.

Advice to Management

It's frustrating feeling like as an EA, you can basically just have work/responsibilities dumped on you. There is a lot of talk about how valuable EAs are, but talk is cheap. I didn't feel like there was anyone there at management level really sticking up for us and fighting our corner.

Taylor & Francis Group2019-08-23

"Many positives, hopefully not many negatives..."

Current Employee - Books in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- T&F offers true flexible working - you can either request to work from home regularly, or, if office-based, work the odd day at home, manager allowing. - We have a brilliant social committee who plans lots of activities to join in on, ensuring that work *can* be a fun place to be. Also, excellent Christmas and summer parties. - Management is, on the whole, approachable and there's opportunities to voice your... opinions (which are sometimes answered). - Brilliant colleagues. - Some of our titles are highly respected in their respective subject sectors. - Talking to others in the academic publishing industry, T&F seems to be regarded as one of the best to work for when it comes to employee happiness.

Cons

- Pretentious corporate jargon has recently started being heavily used in communication from upper management. It's all getting to be dangerously boring-software-company-from-the-1980s in language-mangling style. - Quantity over quality when it comes to actually publishing books (oops, sorry, I mean "content"). No time to take actual care, resulting in angry authors who're wondering why we're not babying their... manuscript as much as they think it deserves and upset, stressed, overworked and overwhelmed staff.

Advice to Management

We know that T&F is a business, and therefore needs to make a profit and be ahead of the market. But please also remember who many of your most loyal and hardworking employees are. Many of us, especially in editorial, production, design, etc, are here due to a lifelong love of books (or journals). If we wanted to work in any old corporate business, we could've worked anywhere. But many have moved into the area... specifically so they can work in publishing. Publishing should be about sharing knowledge, being creative, occasionally pushing boundaries, not *just* profit and shareholders and market value and tidying your desk because a Very Important Board Member might wander through the office. While we do get regular communication from departments about titles of note that we've published, it would be nice to hear from upper management about books/journals they're excited about, or at least *some* recognition that books/journals is what we *do*. This is the core of the business, after all.

Taylor & Francis Group2019-08-04

"Ethical employer and caring colleagues"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Milton, Oxfordshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed but professional atmosphere. Opportunities to develop and change roles. Can work from home 2 days a week.

Cons

IT continually slowing productivity. Annual performance objectives are a box ticking chore and level of bonuses not sufficient incentive.

Advice to Management

IT systems need greater investment. Some great projects have been delivered in recent years but more still needed.

Taylor & Francis Group2019-07-30
  9. "Friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Coordinator, Digital Content Management in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very Friendly Some great benefits Well looked after in hours of need Good opportunity's to progress and better yourself

Cons

Salary for roles could be better Not always informed of what is going on in the business

Advice to Management

Really need to match salary to other competitors Reward long term hard working staff better

Taylor & Francis Group2019-05-31

"Good"

Former Employee - Research Associate in London, England

I worked at Taylor & Francis Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Caring HR, Great colleagues, Good exposure

Cons

Top-down, hierarchical, located in a place with no good, cheap food joints

Taylor & Francis Group2019-04-30