TeachFirst Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
  1. "TeachFirst Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in London, England

I worked at TeachFirst

Pros

Outstanding opportunity for young people to develop their leadership skills in a challenging and rewarding environment like no other in the UK.

Cons

Long hours and can be physically very draining teaching all day as you are a performer. Then outside of the classroom you must prepare and mark work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing within TeachFirst. Maybe offer managerial support to school staff who might be excellent teachers but not managers.

TeachFirst2010-01-24
  2. "Reconsider a graduate scheme at Teachfirst"

Former Employee - Teacher in London, England

I worked at TeachFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very little benefits of the graduate scheme other than my personal development which was solely down to myself - I've personally got much more out of the experience than they've supported me -

Cons

- Very poor support - HR are very bureaucratic and not helpful not supportive. - Very poor expenses policy - alumni and partner organisations are way too oversold in the careers material. Dont get your hopes up! - Hours worked and pay received are incredibly unjust. - I have subsequently moved into another teaching programme which is far superior in training and support.

TeachFirst2017-02-07

"Full-time teacher and subject lead"

Former Employee - Subject Lead and Full-time Teacher in London, England

I worked at TeachFirst

Pros

- Immediate responsibility, autonomy and leadership opportunities - Structured support programme and pedagogical training -

Cons

- High level of stress - Full-time teaching responsibilities as a trainee

Advice to Management

More involved support for struggling candidates

TeachFirst2016-10-30
  4. "Teacher of English"

Former Employee - Assistant Curriculum Leader in Droylsden, England

I worked at TeachFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good networking opportunities, good support system during training year, clear vision for future of organisation, well catered events, high quality colleagues.

Cons

Some of the university side of training was poor - many, many hours were wasted during 'subject studies days.' The quality of training during NQT year was poor and somewhat pointless.

Advice to Management

Please look at the NQT year and don't make participants waste time doing local area meetings in their training year when they're snowed under with work. They were too often used to whinge and moan.

TeachFirst2016-10-28
  5. "Misleading"

Current Employee - Teacher in Birmingham, England

I have been working at TeachFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and paid PGCE. Good network (although not the one advertised).

Cons

Misleading in the fact that Teach First does not provide sufficient teacher training to support trainees. There is very little negotiation of circumstance - you are given one offer and one offer only!

TeachFirst2016-10-30
  6. "Some huge pluses but some sad cons"

I have been working at TeachFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits and proper pay which is rare in the charity sector. The nicest colleagues I have ever had. I have always had great colleagues but these are some of the best. Good opportunities and progression options if you want them.

Cons

I am bullied by my line manager so have been unlucky. Some leadership and communications isn't great and can make work on the ground challenging sometimes.

Advice to Management

Be brave and do something about the people you know are causing genuine problems.

TeachFirst2016-10-28
  7. "Brand Manager Review"

Former Employee - Brand Manager

I worked at TeachFirst part-time

Pros

- Great flexibility regarding when you can work - Always fun to talk to people on the job, shifts don't get boring - Good pay for the work - Get to work for a great charity with a great mission

Cons

- Lots of admin and pointless internal reviews etc - How busy you are ebbs and flows throughout the year, beginning of academic year and after Christmass is crazy, but towards the end of term there is very little work

TeachFirst2016-05-09
  8. "A teaching agency that market themselves well but do not support you"

Current Employee - Teacher in London, England

I have been working at TeachFirst full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great reputation for future careers, paid route into teaching, can get good training if you are lucky and get a good school, get to work with children, lots of responsibility from the start

Cons

Very long hours, low pay (I worked out I was on less than minimum wage with all of my hours), sometimes too much responsibility from the start, highly bureaucratic, TeachFirst do not support you if things go wrong, placement is not chosen and highly variable

Advice to Management

Do not send teachers into new schools because they are not set up and do not have adequate systems, do not send teachers to schools with appaling contracts such as no holiday or sick pay, listen to teachers when SLT do not want you there, step up to support struggling teachers and listen to them

TeachFirst2014-02-13
  9. "STEM Insight Program"

Former Employee - STEM Insight Participant

I worked at TeachFirst (Less than a year)

Pros

Information about the Leadership Development Program Final day assessment allows direct entry to LDP if successful Opportunity to teach via school placement

Cons

Not enough focus on teaching careers after TeachFirst No discussion about alternative routes and why TeachFirst is better

TeachFirst2017-06-23