Teddy Bear Portraits Employee Reviews about "home office"

Updated 17 Jan 2020

2.6
Teddy Bear Portraits Managing Director David Riley (no image)
David Riley
Pros
Cons
  • "Teddy Bear does not even have photographers to cover area promised to client(in 14 reviews)

• "There is no communication between management/home office and the field(in 10 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "home office"

Return to all Reviews

"TBP Does not care about its employees..."

Former Employee - Account Representative/Photographer/Portrait Sales

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It’s a GREAT job! Fun...everyday is different...if you have a good team and/or territory you really can make good money.

Cons

It is a seasonal position so you might have to have other work during our off times It’s a TON OF WORK...sun up to sun down during the busy season There is no communication between management/home office and the field. You are very much working alone in the field. They are only concerned about $$ and numbers. There are huge issues with the system that spills onto the field and no help or commitment to fix problems...you are still required to hit your quotas even though problems are beyond your control. You are expected to be a miracle worker. You are a warm body and they know that there’s another one out there if you decide to quit.

Continue reading
  2. "Not as great as recent reviews want you to think"

Former Employee - TL/Acct Representative/Photog/Portrait Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Time off around holidays and summers if you can afford it.

Cons

All the fun was sucked out of this job - more so when the company was bought. 14 hour days due to the same day sales event- shoot in the morning and have to find a way to kill 3-4 unpaid hours in the middle of the day to return to haul in different equipment for the sales event. Run your vehicle into the ground for not much mileage reimbursement, they'll take back your commission if a check bounces or a customer is so mad they dispute the sale - not caring that you still did the work shooting and selling to those parents. I worked there for about a year after the buy-out and it was nothing to stick around for; 2 of my roles were just taken from me. I happened to see them posted on the website and had to ask- so not professional nor respecting the fact that my challenges and difficulties in my territory were directly due to their lack of a solid and ready-to-go system that was rolled out way before it should have been and not something I had any control over - I was good at what I did. The field employees are on straight commission. Prior to the company being bought I was not one of the favorites some home office people had in the field and it was tough to get my issues handled; I was mostly ignored or I would hear an annoyed sigh from my contact person when I called. Yet, while they were collecting their consistent paychecks and using their paid time off to go on vacation, all things we in the field did not have benefit of, I couldn't get help with my customers missing orders, or get help with a lazy, rude employee in my area - and that made re-booking that center much more difficult the next season. So, imagine how pissed one would feel to hear a sigh or to be completely ignored and it went on for several years. Had I been able to get another job in my state, I would have left long before I did. Notice the social media and that the review section was disabled long ago. If any of this appeals to you, potential new employee, go for it. Me, I bolted just as soon as I could.

December 4, 2017Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your comments and many of your issues have been addressed and changed. In 2015 we obtained new ownership and during the first year things did not always go smoothly. Now two years later it is a very different story. Supportive home office employees give field staff all the tools and support they need. We are an employee focused company always trying to improve our processes and work atmosphere. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at 800-338-3339 X1363 or email me at mimi.buckner@nationwidestudios.com.

"Great Company!"

5.0

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time

Pros

The company was growing when I started there and continued to grow when I left. I worked in the Recruiting Department out of Dallas. I communicated daily with employees in the home office (Tennessee) and out in the field. Over time I've built close relationships with each and every one of them and they are such a great group of people to work with. Along with the positive, upbeat work environment and competitive salary, management was so understanding and more than flexible when it came to my schedule and availability. We even had the pleasure of working from home. Everyone was so committed to living by the company's core values and the employees were so highly valued. Even though I am no longer a part of it, I am excited to see how the company will continue to grow!

Cons

I never had any cons. Nothing but great things to say about Nationwide Studios/Teddy Bear Portraits.

"The most supporting atmosphere ever!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Finally, I can say " I love my JOB!! I was recently hired st Teddy Bear Portraits home office. Since my first interview I've been in love. The recruiter was open and honest about the company and what their expectations were but she also show interest in growing individuals as well. And since my first day, my peers having been very welcoming and helpful. I'm so excited to finally work in an environment where everybody loves what they do and how they do it for!!

Cons

The location is a ways for my house. So the fight with traffic can be a bit much when leaving for the day.

"Awful! Avoid at all costs!"

Current Employee - Account Representative

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Make your own schedule Holidays off The fact you get paid, sometimes The quality of the pictures are usually good

Cons

Firstly, don’t believe these “rave” reviews from September. They are home office employees. Commission is a joke. I have had my commision structure changed multiple times in the last year to benefit the company. This year they told employees a week prior to the week of July 4 that we would have a mandatory week off. You couldn't take vacation. There is something absolutely immoral to do this to employees that need a paycheck. If they gave us notice to prepare for the lack of pay, it would be somewhat acceptable. But since they told us a week prior, myself and many others were very unhappy and desperate for pay The three managing partners are awful in their roles. They have 0 experience in corporate management, and it shows. They seem to react and panic to issues, rather than be proactive. Directions and policies are non-existent, and when it is existent, it’s contradicted between several points of contact. It's not fun being apart of a company that is failing in the daycare market. Morale is definitely down. The company, both at the home office and field level, have had MASSIVE turnover. A faceless, inexperienced home office employee is your manager. Rebate checks to daycares have bounced. Gas reimbursement checks to field employees are months behind at times. They now have SDRs that essentially compete against the field employees. They will call on your schools in your territory. If they book the school(s) they call on, part of your commision goes to them. 0 recognition from upper management. I seriously could go on, and on. It's really bad. You need to avoid this "job".

October 2, 2017Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It truly matters that our current employees are happy and your input is invaluable. The recent positive reviews from both the home office and field employees are a direct reflection of the positive changes we’ve made to make this a great place to work. The new management is extremely hands on, accessible and proactive. It is true that commission structures changed but going to an all commission structure for sales people creates unlimited earning potential. Change can be stressful however; continuous change is a vital part of any successful organization trying to stay as the industry leader. Lastly, we have an incredible support staff at the home office and if you ever need help we are always here to assist you.

"BEWARE OF THIS SHADY, DISHONEST COMPANY"

Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is no good reason to work for this company. These glowing reviews from Gallatin are home office employees trying to hang on to their jobs. The "new management" in a recent review are the same inept 3 amigos who ran this once great company in the ground when they took over in 2015. The bad reviews are a direct result of poor management.

Cons

Most of the top leaders nationwide have left, leaving new leaders hired with very little understanding of the photography and sales positions. Very long days with pay often not equal to minimum wage for photographers and sales people. Account reps are forced to tell schools all is well, then constantly having to apologize to their accounts for delays, lost photos and unfulfilled promises.

September 13, 2017Recruiting Manager

We appreciate feedback from former employees to give us insight and ideas for ways to improve our company and continuing growing. In late 2015, we obtained new ownership. The new owners were committed to being on the cutting edge of technology and innovative with how they run this company. Unfortunately, it was a rocky start. There were issues with the technology that affected every level of this organization. We are very open and transparent with our new hires and we have assembled an incredible group of team members.

"Account Executive"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mostly flexible schedule and nice clients.

Cons

Not good management style, bad business plan, and they make you compete with office staff unnecessarily. I worked in a territory that at one time, a few years ago was great. But over the years poor decisions by management to do some awful photography promotions that left schools and parents extremely unhappy, as well as terrible customer service follow up, bad attitudes of photographers, and dishonest former employees seriously depleted the customer base. It was very difficult to rebuild the territory, and even the schools loyal to the company were still getting shafted by bad management decisions and poor customer service, so I still had a hard time keeping things at least stable, much less adding new clients or winning old clients back. I was paid a monthly draw with an unrealistic quota. When they lowered the quotation to a workable level, they then had me compete with a brand new telemarketing staff from the home office, that would steal my customers and book them before I could, so I couldn't even do the job that I was hired to do without this new hiccup. Because I couldn't get my quota done because the home office was taking that away from me, they were threatening to take away my draw. There was no reason for me to be there anymore, so I took a job elsewhere. If you are seeking a position in the NE Ohio area, don't take it! It will only give you headaches.

"Photographer/Passer"

4.0
    Photographer/Portrait Consultant in Denver, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits

Pros

I worked in the home office area and in CO. I worked with a great team. I had immediate access to props, backgrounds, IT and management.

Cons

Driving more than an hour one way at 3 in the morning to get to a school to set up and start photographing as soon as parents arrive to drop off their kids. I also know that the company has since been bought out and all of my wonderful team has left in both locations from poor management.

March 6, 2017Recruiter

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you had a great experience with your team. We have found that a lot of our employees enjoy treating their territory as it's their own business and building their team and area. I have not heard of someone having to arrive that early to a shoot but I understand that if the school is an outlier in the territory that it can mean leaving earlier than usual. Through our growth, we believe the territory sizes are more manageable and we look at those drive times when we consider our hires. If there's anything you feel that we could be doing better that you would like to share with us, please reach out to our HR Department.

"Big mistake"

Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really fun working with kids and being somewhere different everyday. Sadly the cons really outweigh the all of the good. Enough said.

Cons

Worked there in 2014 and it was great. Decided to come back and it is just a disaster. Every paycheck was short. My last paycheck that made me just finally quit was only $14!!!!! They had me drive 3 hours in traffic to a school turns out I couldn't photograph at for reasons that were their fault. Didn't get reimbursed for gas. Or even an apology. Company doesn't seem to care about their employees at all!! And for the holidays, the bookers would get the chance to win bonuses meanwhile the people doing the real work got nothing. We drive in the traffic, we are the face of the company as they say, and we get mistreated. And when at a shoot and need someone quick, they always tell us to call home office for help, but they never answer their phones. If I could rate 0 stars I would.

August 24, 2016Recruiter

Hello! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry that you had a bad experience, we do appreciate our employees but I'm sorry you didn't feel appreciated. I am hoping that your short checks were addressed and taken care of. We have had a lot of adjustment since Legacy Studios has come on board, and we've also improved our communication outlets for people in the field. Your feedback is important, if you have any additional concerns or would still like to discuss this with me, please reach out at amanda,yotter@nationwidestudios.com

"I loved my job until Legacy took over"

Current Employee - Book/Shoot/Pass

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for more than a year

Pros

THis used to be a great company to work for. Fun job. Decent Money. Minimal management. They let you be creative ext. Teddybear got bought out by Legacy and it has been nothing short of a nightmare. Beware! They change how you will be paid constantly with no warning and do not pay you that and no one wants to fix it.

Cons

You are no longer allowed to contact the home office for support. They mess up everyones orders if they ever get them and it is near impossible to get them fixed. You make 1/2 as much money because they do not allow parents to buy pics online like they are supposed to. They never send out proofs. The quality of photos is horrible I am told now.Barely any customer service. Deal with angry people parents and directors constantly with no support and no way to fix anything. 2/3 rds of the staff have quit. they no longer have atraining program that works for newbies. I have never in my life seen such a mess. Especially since they got this as such a nice company staffed with good loyal employees.

August 24, 2016Recruiter

Wow, I can definitely understand how you felt at this time! I’m sorry this position was so stressful for you! This post is almost a year old now, so I know you were with us during the height of all our changes happening and some of our technology issues. I'm hoping a lot of these things have been addressed for you as we've made a ton of improvements since November! You're right, it was hard for us to keep going after a lot of people quit during a transition to the new company. I do not know all the specifics of why the companies joined, but in my experience improvements need to be made to be a more profitable company. Rest assured Legacy Studios only wants to see the company as a success! I understand that we cannot force anyone to appreciate the changes, however, I wish we could have retained loyal employees. Unfortunately, a lot of people were loyal to the old way of doing things. Being innovative requires adjustment and fluidity, even when it’s uncomfortable because you’re heading towards uncharted territory. We have improved our communication paths for employees and customers, hired more customer service staff, and are working every day on the change management that needs to take place when acclimating people with new processes and procedures. I've personally gone through a few company changes and it's always difficult for those who are further away from the home office. Being out in the field already can sometimes make you feel disconnected, so I'm sure at a time of such stress it really could wear on you. I am sorry no one was there to support you at that time. There is support now and we expect to be around for 100+ years! If you’re not sure who to reach out to for resolution of a concern, please reach out to me at Amanda.yotter@nationwidestudios.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 English Reviews