Teddy Bear Portraits Employee Reviews about "working with kids"

Updated 5 Feb 2019

2.6
Teddy Bear Portraits Managing Director David Riley (no image)
David Riley
Pros
Cons
  • "Teddy Bear does not even have photographers to cover area promised to client(in 14 reviews)

• "There is no communication between management/home office and the field(in 10 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working with kids"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall, a decent organization"

Former Employee - Photographer in Houston, TX

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is supportive and clearly doing its best to make the work environment as accommodating as possible. If you enjoy working with kids and their parents, and are good in sales, this job is a fantastic opportunity.

Cons

The days can get long, and the travel can be draining, and the mileage benefits aren't great. It's entirely sales driven, which can be disheartening if photography is more your passion.

May 4, 2019Recruiting Manager

Thank you for this great review. We agree that our Photographer position is challenging but we are very clear in the hiring process to explain the position and the expectations. Our focus is to take beautiful portraits captioning memories of the children. Then to help parents choose the correct package at reasonable prices for professional photography.

"Incredibly Disorganized"

2.0
    Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits part-time for less than a year

Pros

-If you love taking portraits -If you love working with kids -Flexible schedule

Cons

-Incredibly hard to contact anyone who is higher up or people in different departments if you have questions or concerns (many unanswered phone calls and emails) -Customer service is terrible so often times parents complain to photographers/portrait consultants who are basically the only face to face interaction they have with the company and they get blamed for a lot of things that are out of their hands such as delivery of photos, etc. -Computers for portrait consultant would crash all the time, affecting your sales and affecting your pay with little help from the company to fix them and slow feedback -A lot of miscommunication between school directors, the booker, and the photographers; inconveniently booked photoshoot or sale times and only the photographers/portrait consultants would be affected by it -Gas compensation depends on how much you sell (sometimes it doesn't pay off) -Too many long commutes than originally quoted to me when I first got hired. (Some weeks I would have to commute to a school more than 50 miles away for most of the week. I was under the impression that I wouldn't be making long drives as frequently as I had to). I had to commute up to 68 miles to a school. Ridiculous. -The pay is not worth having expensive equipment in your car all the time and wear on your car -Long hours, some days you are out at the school from 7am-6pm, especially if it's a long commute and you are stuck there in between photoshoot and sales times -Photographers/portrait consultants are completely alone on the field (not a lot of connections can be made, not a lot of ways to expand your career)

June 5, 2018Recruiting Manager

I first want to say that our employee happiness is extremely important to us. We are always looking to improve communication and better ways of doing things. When a new and better idea comes up we make a change - that is not being unorganized - that is just dealing with the unfamiliarity of change. As far as reaching people in our home office - I am not sure who you were trying to reach but we all give out our cell numbers and all home office personnel are available to the field - even during non-business hours. The other items you mentioned are clearly explained in our hiring process. If you would like to discuss any of this further please contact me directly at mimi.buckner@nationwidestudios.com.

"Would not recommend working here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time

Pros

- Working with kids - If you're good at sales, this job is perfect for you

Cons

- Terrible pay - Organization is terrible - Poor management - Awful hours - sometimes working 12 hour days, without enough pay - No real gas mileage benefits - Unless you get good sales, you won't make any money that day

January 12, 2018Recruiting Manager

I am so sorry you did not have a good experience working for us. The happiness of our staff is of utmost importance to us. Our interview process is extremely thorough and we fully explain what a typical day looks like. Our photographers do have a very long day but are fully aware of this before they are hired. In addition, sales is a major part of this position but again that is fully explained in our hiring process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact me a mimi.buckner@nationwidestudios.com.

"Emily"

5.0
    Current Employee - Photographer in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with kids and taking pictures

Cons

All of the heavy bags we have to carry to and from the car

October 20, 2017Recruiting Manager

Thank you for this feedback. Working with kids and taking pictures is definitely the best part of being a photographer at Teddy Bear Portraits. We provide our photographers with state of the art photography equipment and unfortunately it is heavy but the picture quality is second to none.

"Good Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Photographer in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people & supportive up line Getting to do what I love (photography) Working with kids

Cons

Having to get up so early and travel so far for work No "real" mileage pay (you get a mileage check, but you're not getting all of your mileage back) They don't pay for gas to go back and forth to these schools (which are usually over an hour away)

September 13, 2017Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your wonderful and invaluable feedback. We are always trying to improve our processes and to create a supportive and positive work environment. We do have a program in place to offset the cost of your gas but we are always trying to make things better so we will look into it. Thank you again for your comments.

"Big mistake"

1.0
    Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really fun working with kids and being somewhere different everyday. Sadly the cons really outweigh the all of the good. Enough said.

Cons

Worked there in 2014 and it was great. Decided to come back and it is just a disaster. Every paycheck was short. My last paycheck that made me just finally quit was only $14!!!!! They had me drive 3 hours in traffic to a school turns out I couldn't photograph at for reasons that were their fault. Didn't get reimbursed for gas. Or even an apology. Company doesn't seem to care about their employees at all!! And for the holidays, the bookers would get the chance to win bonuses meanwhile the people doing the real work got nothing. We drive in the traffic, we are the face of the company as they say, and we get mistreated. And when at a shoot and need someone quick, they always tell us to call home office for help, but they never answer their phones. If I could rate 0 stars I would.

August 24, 2016Recruiter

Hello! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry that you had a bad experience, we do appreciate our employees but I'm sorry you didn't feel appreciated. I am hoping that your short checks were addressed and taken care of. We have had a lot of adjustment since Legacy Studios has come on board, and we've also improved our communication outlets for people in the field. Your feedback is important, if you have any additional concerns or would still like to discuss this with me, please reach out at amanda,yotter@nationwidestudios.com

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.