Tessian Reviews

Updated 9 Jul 2020

4.4
Tessian Chief Executive Officer Tim Sadler (no image)
Tim Sadler
Pros
  • "Work environment is extremely fast-paced and dynamic(in 8 reviews)

• "Truly innovative & intuitive ML solution; world-class product & engineering team(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "As you would expect with a start-up, there is a lot of change (which on the flip side makes for an exciting working environment)(in 4 reviews)

• "It is very fast-paced and it does at times feel like you will have to juggle a lot(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of a handful of companies deploying machine learning to solve real problem"

Current Employee - Exec in London, England

I have been working at Tessian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tessian is a great place to work if you care about having impact. The data science and engineering team have built a truly incredible (and novel) product that prevents data breaches for our customers using advanced machine learning models. We're industry leaders in protecting the human layer, a problem that is affecting every business as they try and navigate through today's threat landscape. Another thing which is quite unique about Tessian is the strong relationship between commercial and engineering teams. We're all aligned to common goals and values which makes the challenges of hyper-growth manageable.

Cons

The rate of change won't suit everyone, but Tessian is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe so change should be expected (and embraced)

Tessian Response

May 12, 2020Tessian

Thank you for your honest review; we're always grateful for honest feedback, and glad you're on board with us for the journey

2. "Awesome experience all round!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Tessian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every day has a new challenge and you feel really supported in whatever you do in the company. The culture is amazing and the senior team have a clear vision and direction for where they want to take the company I would highly recommend.

Cons

It is very fast-paced and it does at times feel like you will have to juggle a lot. However, if you can do it then you'll be amazed at how far you have come.

3. COVID-19

"Some very inspiring people to work with"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England

I worked at Tessian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some very inspiring people to work with... Particular shout outs to the Head of Sales Development - fosters a great, warm and inclusive culture within his team and is a wonderful teacher of core sales skills and methodologies. CFO - a kind and super sharp woman who fosters a great culture across the entire company, an inspiring leader to work with. Global Head of Sales Enablement - a fun, clever, talented guy, a total pleasure to work with. ^ 3 particularly excellent members of an overall fantastic team; I hope to cross paths with these again (amongst many others). I'd also like to add - best in class sales enablement tools; key to the SDR role! And generally a company culture of support, care and kindness.

Cons

Covid global pandemic did lead to redundancies.

4. COVID-19

"A company that truly cares"

Former Employee - Sales Development Manager in London, England

I worked at Tessian full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's very rare to find a company that’s genuinely driven by a desire to help people and if I hadn't had the opportunity to work at Tessian I probably wouldn’t have believed they even exist. The product itself is a completely innovative solution designed to protect people over email, thus preventing companies falling victim to data loss and ultimately keeping peoples jobs secure. In my opinion, however, it’s how Tessian treats its staff that truly makes it unique. Never have I so quickly felt welcomed into an organisational family where egos, office politics and bias simply don’t exist. Instead, everyone is offered the support, motivation and time to excel and every opportunity is taken to recognise and reward you along the way. Even after being made redundant due to COVID I can’t begin to describe how far they have gone out of their way to ensure everyone is supported both financially and in finding a new role. I can happily say I never would have left if I had the choice!

Cons

The pace of a scaling business isn't for everyone and you have to be prepared to pivot a lot. Definitely not a con if you're up for it as it provides a lot of opportunity and learning experiences

Continue reading

"One of the few European Squoia-backed startups"

5.0

I have been working at Tessian full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good engineering culture with smart and motivated coworkers - Bi-annual salary/promotion reviews - Very little politics

Cons

- Product is a bit niche and the company is struggling to make the product entreprise-ready - Apparent hiring biases, particularly on the UK commercial site

6. "Fast Paced Start-up"

4.0

I worked at Tessian full-time

Pros

Busy, exciting, fast paced, like-minded individuals.

Cons

Lack of processes, sometimes rushed decisions.

"Mass firings, terrible management, on the pathway to unfortunately going bust"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Tessian full-time

Pros

- free food - dogs allowed in the office

Cons

- For the last 9 months the company has been struggling to hit any targets after hiring highly experienced but useless senior management that don’t seem to know how to get results and brutally micromanage their teams - Treat staff horrendously bad, favouritism plays a big part in who remains in the company and how promotions happen. They shout about females in cybersecurity but there is so much blatant sexism at Tessian, it’s ironic. - The company only has enough funds to survive another year, people are dropping like flies

Tessian Response

April 26, 2020People Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are heartbroken that due to the impact of COVID-19 we had to say goodbye to some amazing friends and colleagues in April and are working hard to support them in finding their next role. Your review mentions that you are a current employee and we would strongly encourage you to raise your concerns about favouritism and sexism through our internal employee reporting tool, Cassiopeia (which you can access through our HR system). We pride ourselves on having an open and fair culture, where all Tessians are able to thrive and we therefore take these allegations very seriously. Cassiopeia gives you an entirely confidential way for you to speak to our People team directly and share any further information to help us address this.

"Transparent culture, motivated team"

I have been working at Tessian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone in the company wants to do their best for Tessian's vision and for other employees. No or little office politics within the tech team. Founders are transparent about where the company is going, and spends time getting to know new employees joining the company. Friendly, vibrant company culture, and you get to work with smart motivated people.

Cons

Not much promotion structure within the tech team. Depending on your line manager, you might have little mentorship on where you're going in the company. Most kudos for engineers are related to working late, which indirectly promotes an overtime equals achievement mindset.

"Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Tessian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team, most motivated and talented people I've met, great culture, very fast-paced and engaging

Cons

Fast-paced, constantly changing processes, if this is not your thing

"Great work culture and very supportive"

Current Employee - Talent Partner

I have been working at Tessian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company atmosphere and culture is amazing, Support I have received to help my achieve in my position is awesome, People are great and super smart so always someone to ask if you are unsure on something,

Cons

Not really a con but the standard of work and expectations are very high

Found 61 reviews