Thames Water L6 - Operations Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

L6 - Operations

Thames Water CEO Martin Baggs
Martin Baggs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is no pressure to stay late allowing for a great work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Family working environment where relationships with colleagues are as important as outputs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance not great - very little perks (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management keep changing the focus which has a severe downstream impact on lower level staff (in 5 reviews)

1. "An ex-employee and a customer"

Former Employee - L6 - Operations in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Thames Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive service, quick response times, determined engineers, helpful engineers, friendly customer service staff, beautiful building

Cons

The employment was unfortunately not long enough :(

Advice to Management

I was an employee when the water main in West London was drilled through, resulting in THOUSANDS of people with no water. It was a busy time, and the engineers were VERY quick to get on site and sort the mess out. Very friendly and approachable staff, excellent facilities, dedicated team and even motivational exercises!

"More than passionate about Thames, but does Thames understand or even care about those people it employs - No."

Current Employee - L6 - Operations
    Current Employee - L6 - Operations

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I absolutely love my job, I know I make a difference (whether TW cares or not is another matter) and am working hard to make a better future for this company whom I am so passionate about. TW has literally hundreds of different jobs/roles, there is something for everyone, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Quick to outsource - then wonder why things go wrong, proactive is not a word in the TW dictionary - constantly fire fighting, no thought past the next three months, if you want to fix the future don't work for TW, penalises the giving of good customer service (i.e. if you take the time to help a customer and take longer than x seconds you have failed and end up on an improvement plan), progression not based on merit, too focussed on quick wins - i.e. contracts given to lowest tender without a thought of what it could cost in the long run (long run not their problem they only care about the current AMP who cares about the next!)

Advice to Management

Listen to the expertise in the business - rather than ignoring all advice from internal and paying big bucks for external consultants who tell you the same thing as the existing staff and all of a sudden its the best thing since sliced bread, Rather than making all our expertise redundant (as some music graduate can fill their shoes obviously - much more life experience and knowledge of the water industry) utilise their passion, listen to and respect them, cease the blame culture, stop working in silos, be proactive and fix the future of this company for our children's children