Thames Water Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Thames Water Reviews

Updated 15 December 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is no pressure to stay late allowing for a great work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Family working environment where relationships with colleagues are as important as outputs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance not great - very little perks (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management keep changing the focus which has a severe downstream impact on lower level staff (in 5 reviews)

"mixed bag"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Reading, England
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Reading, England

I worked at Thames Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some really great people in the company, passionate trying to do the right thing
    decent IT & devices

Cons

comms is really poor from management which creates a feeling of distrust quite often out in the field
    lack of aligned strategy across the different departments, teams really don't work "together" on things

Advice to Management

Step back from all the change going on: whats needed is a fundamental shift in the way the company works if its ever going to achieve amazing industry performance.
    Communicate better, and more frequently in a way your teams want to be communicated to.

"Dedicated to doing the right thing"

Current Employee - Change Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Change Manager in London, England

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family working environment where relationships with colleagues are as important as outputs.
    The business is focused on empowering it's staff to do the right thing by making decisions now and asking for forgiveness later.
    Ample opportunity to learn and grow along with gain support from colleagues.
    Dedication to H&S is very apparent and fully supported.

Cons

There isn't a strong enough focus on process compliance. Therefore making changes stick is very challenging in the working environment.

Advice to Management

A focus on some of the more boring day to day work such as process compliance may bring significant changes across the board if the culture is embraced at group level.

"Pleasant but ineffectual"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Company cares - free healthchecks etc
    Flexible working with not excessive hours
    Good training budget
    Reasonable salary and benefits

Cons

Chaotic
    Difficult to make a difference
    Lots of overlaping or conflicting priorities and projects run from lots of different area

"A rewarding and flexible company to work for."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career development is readily on offer, for those who seek it. Opportunities for progression are abundant as the company is readying itself for Competition 17. Senior managers are, on the whole, approachable and accessible. Throughout my relatively short career with Thames, I have seen a rapid improvement in employee engagement- partially evidenced by the improvements being made in customer service.

Cons

There are some employees who are still in the "Metropolitan Water Board" mindset. This can be seen to stagnate change and process improvement, however this is being tackled by various 'employee voice' initiatives.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing currently and Thames will continue to improve.

6. "Thames Water"

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, good working hours, flexibility, training are provided

Cons

Lack of choice in bonuses

Advice to Management

Flexibility for overtime

7. "Cce"

Current Employee - CCE in Reading, England
    Current Employee - CCE in Reading, England

Pros

Do not have any options at the moment so working with Thames water

Cons

No internal communication , company doesn't care about internal staff . Company like to hire people from outside rather than giving opportunity to internal staff who knows about the business. You apply on internal portal no one looks at the application status show in process for last 1 year. Best way to go into another department is leave the company and apply externally. You will get there where you to be

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees, use people skills those who have a qualification and experience rather than ignoring them. Have some Good HR system.

8. "Productive"

Former Employee - Administrator?analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Administrator?analyst in London, England

I worked at Thames Water (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to learn and develop my skills. I enjoyed working as part of a team as well on my own. i was satisfied when i met deadlines.

Cons

Sometimes i had to work long hours and do overtime. this enabled me to complete tasks and deadlines at times. it was a learning process which helped me

Advice to Management

Continue to support and help your staff. The provision of courses to develop yourself was very helpful. It was nice to know that staff was able to work flexible hours

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Reading, England

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pension, reasonable expenses, good work-life balance

Cons

Regulatory culture can mean that change is slow

"HR"

I have been working at Thames Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The building in Reading is very modern with a lovely view of the river just behind. The staff are friendly. The working environment is aesthetically pleasing!

Cons

The recruitment process is an absolute shambles. I was extremely disappointed from the get go. I was initially rejected and then invited for an interview. I was then rejected and invited another three times. There is clearly a huge issue with communication. On my second meeting, I was told by recruitment that I would only be meeting the team however when I attended it was a very daunting interview. This has been the worst experience I've ever had. Being in HR myself, I would never dare give any candidate an experience like this as I would expect a lot more.

Advice to Management

Senior management need to look at this process and assess areas that need to be worked on. This is particularly important when trying to gain talent into the business, providing a service that is this poor can actually turn candidates to other companies which could be a shame. It's sad that such a well recognised company has such a low standard in the recruitment and HR remit. This service inherently reflects on the company as a whole.

Thames Water Response

3 May 2016 – HR Specialist

Hi, thank you for taking the time to add this review to the site and for your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear that you feel disappointed with your recruitment experience. We take this... More

11. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Pros

Trying to improve. Wants to change so that customers receive value.

Cons

Slow to embed change but getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep going.